Cinema style loudspeakers for home

D

Defcon

Audioholic
I'm talking about high efficiency (95dB+) speakers that can play cleanly at above reference level, usually these designs have horn loaded compression driver vs soft dome tweeter and large (not 5.5" or 6.5") woofers. I've read a lot of great things about this kind of speaker, the only downside seems to be size.

examples are JBL Pro, JTR, PSA speakers, Danley. But all these are really expensive. While looking I see there used to be companies like Elemental Designs and Chase Home Theater that offered the same thing in much more affordable speakers. DIYSG has similar speakers but you have to build them.

Who else makes this kind of speaker for a good price? And who is using this kind of speaker, what are your thoughts?

ski2xblack

ski2xblack

Audioholic Samurai
I wouldn't be too afraid of the DIYSG kits. If I can do it, you can too. (Fusion 12 Tempests here.)

Your list is pretty good as far as the usual suspects. Might want to look at Klipsch cinema too. The KI-396 is pretty well voiced IMO.

As for my thoughts, I like 'em a ton, mainly because the combination of toe in and pattern control can eliminate undesirable early reflections, giving almost a near-field type enveloping experience and surprisingly sharp image/soundstage, but at typical distances in your average sized room. Set up correctly they cast a rather huge sweet spot, more like an expansive sweet zone. And of course they bring the bangin' true-to-life dynamics of real music without strain.

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai

+1 for Klipsch. Then don’t have compression drivers, but they do meet your sensitivity requirement.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Great Plains Audio (GPA) produce Pro Audio loudspeakers which are exact copies of the original Altec Lansing "Voice of the Theater" components. In fact, the company manufactures loudspeaker drivers on the exact equipment Altec had been using before they closed. Those transducers have a sensivity of 99dB and above for 1 watt input.
In the 1970's, Altec was the most prominent product used in cinemas, arenas, concert halls and studios across North America.
One can get woofers, compression drivers,horns and crossovers at very decent prices compared to what is sold anywhere else. The company is based in Oklahoma City, Cal.

Last edited:
D

Defcon

Audioholic
That Klipsch KI-396 looks good but also really expensive from some searches - 2-3K !! GPA, I couldn't find any finished speakers for sale.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
That Klipsch KI-396 looks good but also really expensive from some searches - 2-3K !! GPA, I couldn't find any finished speakers for sale.
Unfortunately, GPA just sells raw speaker components. You have to know how to build the proper enclosures to contain them, or have an acquaintance who does so.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Contact Jim at Salk Sound. He has some HT options not really listed on the website.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I'm talking about high efficiency (95dB+) speakers that can play cleanly at above reference level, usually these designs have horn loaded compression driver vs soft dome tweeter and large (not 5.5" or 6.5") woofers. I've read a lot of great things about this kind of speaker, the only downside seems to be size.

examples are JBL Pro, JTR, PSA speakers, Danley. But all these are really expensive. While looking I see there used to be companies like Elemental Designs and Chase Home Theater that offered the same thing in much more affordable speakers. DIYSG has similar speakers but you have to build them.

Who else makes this kind of speaker for a good price? And who is using this kind of speaker, what are your thoughts?
You are asking an awful lot for what you consider a good price. It seems you want a large, high-sensitivity speaker for the price of a typical bookshelf speaker. I have good news and bad news for you. The good news is that you can have such a speaker for a price nearer to what you are thinking of. The bad news is they look very utilitarian. You can get such speakers from the PA world, intended for live sound application. Look at affordable live sound speakers from JBL, Behringer, Mackie, and Yamaha. Many of these do not sound bad. I have heard such speakers used in dedicated home theater rooms with very good results. Check out the Behringer Eurolive series or the JBL EON series. These do not sound bad when setup correctly. If you want to take it to the next level with such speakers, look at the incredible QSC K.2 series, those are PA speakers with excellent fidelity from the sound I have heard and measurements I have seen.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
JTR or PSA. Best value for the sound quality and volume, without the expensive cabinet finishes.

D

Defcon

Audioholic
You are asking an awful lot for what you consider a good price. It seems you want a large, high-sensitivity speaker for the price of a typical bookshelf speaker. I have good news and bad news for you. The good news is that you can have such a speaker for a price nearer to what you are thinking of. The bad news is they look very utilitarian. You can get such speakers from the PA world, intended for live sound application. Look at affordable live sound speakers from JBL, Behringer, Mackie, and Yamaha. Many of these do not sound bad. I have heard such speakers used in dedicated home theater rooms with very good results. Check out the Behringer Eurolive series or the JBL EON series. These do not sound bad when setup correctly. If you want to take it to the next level with such speakers, look at the incredible QSC K.2 series, those are PA speakers with excellent fidelity from the sound I have heard and measurements I have seen.
This is funny as I was thinking the same thing. Found this huge thread on Avs - http://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-speakers/1519940-behringer-eurolive-b215xl-15-2-way-l-r-mains.html.

At first glance seems to be positive. I will look for the 12" version since the 15 is simply too big.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
This is funny as I was thinking the same thing. Found this huge thread on Avs - http://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-speakers/1519940-behringer-eurolive-b215xl-15-2-way-l-r-mains.html.

At first glance seems to be positive. I will look for the 12" version since the 15 is simply too big.
The I have heard both the 12" and the 15". The only caveat with these things is they don't do deep bass at all, so you will want subs. The 12" starts to roll off at 100 Hz, so I would use a 100 Hz crossover on that one. Here is the real scoop on the 12". That is a very good response for a $200 PA speaker.

D

Defcon

Audioholic
The I have heard both the 12" and the 15". The only caveat with these things is they don't do deep bass at all, so you will want subs. The 12" starts to roll off at 100 Hz, so I would use a 100 Hz crossover on that one. Here is the real scoop on the 12". That is a very good response for a $200 PA speaker.
Thanks. I do have a decent sub so that shouldn't be a problem. Is that a good FR? Sorry I don't know how much variation from flat is considered ok. e.g. I looked Revel F208 which I know is considered one of the best - https://www.soundandvision.com/content/revel-performa3-f208-speaker-system-test-benchThe Revel response is within ~3dB across the range, the Behringer is almost 10dB. I'm assuming its still considered good?

How would you compare these to other speakers you've heard in the upto $1K range? These are $159 on Amazon which does seem like a great price.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Thanks. I do have a decent sub so that shouldn't be a problem. Is that a good FR? Sorry I don't know how much variation from flat is considered ok. e.g. I looked Revel F208 which I know is considered one of the best - https://www.soundandvision.com/content/revel-performa3-f208-speaker-system-test-benchThe Revel response is within ~3dB across the range, the Behringer is almost 10dB. I'm assuming its still considered good?

How would you compare these to other speakers you've heard in the upto $1K range? These are $159 on Amazon which does seem like a great price.
What you want to look at is the overall spectral balance. Very narrow peaks and dips aren't really a serious problem. A jagged response that centers around some nominally even level is going to sound more balanced than a smooth response that has wide gullys or hills in the response.

That FR on the Behringers isn't perfect, but, like I said, its good for the price and application. Those engineers made intelligent compromises to hit that price point. When I listened to them, they sounded fine on the movie demo that I watched them on, but of course, there are better speakers out there. Better speakers will sound more articulate, smoother, and fuller. In other words, they will just sound more realistic.

S

sterling shoote

Audioholic Field Marshall

Another downside, well, maybe not a downside, is too much of a good thing, that's to say, when playing at a realistic level in a small room it can be very fatiguing. The sound just has too much power, or pressure, like getting hit with a stream of water from a fire hose. Instead, consider the JBL 4367, or in used, the JBL L300, or L200. You will have effortless sound at realistic levels and amazing detail. If the price is too high you could get the current equivalent of the JBL L100 without loosing much of the effortlessness to play at "reference" level.

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Klipsch THX Ultra2 speaker:

The KL-650-THX's listening-window response measures +1.00/–0.87 dB from 200 Hz to 10 kHz.

https://www.soundandvision.com/content/klipsch-thx-ultra2-speaker-system-ht-labs-measures#XkLrO7VKZO5JMCqp.99

Extremely accurate, high sensitivity, THX Ultra2 Certified.

If you can find a dealer who is willing to give you a great deal (dealer cost is 50% MSRP), might be worth considering.

Or wait until next Black Friday to see if RBH has another 78% off sale on the old SX-T1 speakers, which was around $575 each. :D

Last edited:
S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Or wait until next Black Friday to see if RBH has another 78% off sale on the old SX-T1 speakers, which was around $575 each. :D
That was an insane deal; I doubt they will do that again. I'm sure they were just getting rid of older speakers to make room for the new models.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
That was an insane deal; I doubt they will do that again. I'm sure they were just getting rid of older speakers to make room for the new models.
Most likely. But if they do something that insane again, I'll have to buy some extras. :D

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
Not when you have decent room treatment. Perceived loudness is not only a function of spl but spl over time. 105dB peaks are very short, add in lots of room reflections and those short bursts take longer to decay.
Another downside, well, maybe not a downside, is too much of a good thing, that's to say, when playing at a realistic level in a small room it can be very fatiguing. The sound just has too much power, or pressure, like getting hit with a stream of water from a fire hose. Instead, consider the JBL 4367, or in used, the JBL L300, or L200. You will have effortless sound at realistic levels and amazing detail. If the price is too high you could get the current equivalent of the JBL L100 without loosing much of the effortlessness to play at "reference" level.
Sent from my LM-X210(G) using Tapatalk

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis