Are used B&W DM602 speakers still worth considering

T

TheRFMan

Audiophyte
Hi folks,

I'm not to the forum here, but not entirely new to the world of audio (I'm also an electrical engineer with lots of analogue experience). I have to admit that the world of good speakers is a bit overwhelming though.

I'm looking to get new speakers for my 2-channel listening setup in my office. I'm currently running two Polk T300 speakers on a Monoprice 25Wx2 hybrid tube amp (it's a pretty nice little no-frills amp!). No subwoofer. The setup isn't atrocious, but I know I can do better than the T300s.

I've come across a pair of good-condition used B&W DM602 speakers (the original design) available for $400CAD (abut $310USD). I could probably negotiate them down to $350. I've heard lots of good things about them, but it is an old design. Are they still worth it, or should I look at something more recent or new?

Others I have stumbled upon online are the Klipsch R-15M, and the Monoprice Monolith K-BAS low extension seems interesting in a system without a sub.

Sensitivity is not an issue for me, I usually listen at fairly low volumes. In fact, lower sensitivity would likely allow me to run the amp a bit closer to its sweet spot at the target listening volume.

I'm interested in hearing the opinions of folks with more knowledge than me on this topic :)

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Id take the monoprice over the BWs. Have you heard them? Between the two the BWs midrange is bloated and the treble a little harsh. The monoprice has a hump in the midrange also but not near as pronounced.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Hi folks,

I'm not to the forum here, but not entirely new to the world of audio (I'm also an electrical engineer with lots of analogue experience). I have to admit that the world of good speakers is a bit overwhelming though.

I'm looking to get new speakers for my 2-channel listening setup in my office. I'm currently running two Polk T300 speakers on a Monoprice 25Wx2 hybrid tube amp (it's a pretty nice little no-frills amp!). No subwoofer. The setup isn't atrocious, but I know I can do better than the T300s.

I've come across a pair of good-condition used B&W DM602 speakers (the original design) available for $400CAD (abut $310USD). I could probably negotiate them down to $350. I've heard lots of good things about them, but it is an old design. Are they still worth it, or should I look at something more recent or new?

Others I have stumbled upon online are the Klipsch R-15M, and the Monoprice Monolith K-BAS low extension seems interesting in a system without a sub.

Sensitivity is not an issue for me, I usually listen at fairly low volumes. In fact, lower sensitivity would likely allow me to run the amp a bit closer to its sweet spot at the target listening volume.

I'm interested in hearing the opinions of folks with more knowledge than me on this topic :)
The first B&W speaker that I ever heard were the 602 S3's. Needless to say, I was utterly impressed. Have been a HUGE B&W fan ever since. Just recently owned a set of the CM1 S1's and absolutely loved them.

In fact, the CM1 S1's have the best low end extension on ANY stand-mounts that I have ever owned. As such, my advice is to say go for it! That is, given that the 602's have been well cared for. :):):)

Cheers,

Phil

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
RFman are the DM 602's the S1 versions? If so, I have never heard the S1's or the S2's. However, the DM 602 S3's were very nice sounding speakers. The main thing I remember about them was how laid-back they were. Personally, I like that quality myself. Others, maybe not so much. Speaker preference is highly subjective.

I am not familiar w/the Monoliths and no direct experience with them at all. But, I have heard the Klipsch R-15M's on several occasions at my local BB. Just to be polite here, I am NOT a fan. If the original B&W DM 602 S1's or even the S2's are anything close to the DM 602 S3's, then I would certainly take the S1's over the Klipsch R-15M's w/o any hesitation whatsoever.

If the OP was considering the Klipsch Reference Premiere RP-150's or the Reference Premiere RP-160's, then it might be a different story altogether. Hence, the Reference Premiere Series is on another level when compared to the older Reference Series inmho. The harshness and/or brightness has been tamed rather significantly. Which for many is a good thing.:):):)

Not exactly sure what improvements/differences there are between the B&W DM 602 S1's, DM 602 S2's, and/or the DM 602 S3's respectively. Have you had the chance to give them a listen?

Cheers,

Phil

Last edited:
everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
The series 1 had different tweeter and woofer.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
The series 1 had different tweeter and woofer.
Sounds like there were some rather significant changes from the S1 to the S3 Series. I thought that the S3 Series sounded very good. Compared them directly to the likes of the Paradigm Monitor/Studio Series, as well as, whatever offerings they had of Polk on hand at the time. Of course, the Paradigm Studio 20/40 v.3's were by far my favorites of that group. But, the B&W DM 602 S3's held their own very well.

Cheers,

Phil

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis