D

daddyora

Enthusiast
New home, new 5.1 (or 5.2) HT opportunity. Issue is that in new home the L/C/R speakers must go into a built-in bookshelf unit surrounding TV. Speakers will sit on a shelf but surrounded by sides and a top shelf, depth is fixed at 12" but cell size is a bit flexible. Listening area about 15x15x10 but in an open surrounding area. HT at 80% & soft rock music at 20%. Dialogue clarity is very important, loudness is not. In-ceiling for surrounds. Budget for 3.0 front around $2k. Would like to use current Yamaha Aventage 660 (80 wpc) if possible.

First question which will reduce the speaker options significantly - is the speaker port location a critical factor in this application ? Other suggestions ?

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
What are the dimensions of the spaces in that cabinet for each of the speakers? No way to keep them out of it? That's always a tough location and limits choices.

You can still pick up the previous 2011-2016 front-ported KEF Q100 and Q300 for something like that, cheap. The depth is just about there. There's a few of the non-ported matching Q600 centers around too, but it's fairly tall at 6.5".

D

daddyora

Enthusiast
Yes, the front ported KEF Q's are at the top of my list if I must go that way. The Q600 centers seem to be hard to find. Another option is the new Debut 2 series from ELAC, gotta wait until some reviews come out.

Interestingly, the new KEF Q's (350 ?) are show in their ad placed in a bookshelf cell and very close to the back wall.

I have some flexibility in the size of the speaker cell but the depth is pretty well set at 12".

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Placing the speakers in nooks like that will always harm the performance, including dialogue intelligibility. Perhaps ironically, bookshelf speakers shouldn't really be placed in actual bookshelfs. I wouldn't be worried about what side of the speaker that the port is placed on, the real problem is going to be all the diffraction that happens around the speaker.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
Placing the speakers in nooks like that will always harm the performance, including dialogue intelligibility. Perhaps ironically, bookshelf speakers shouldn't really be placed in actual bookshelfs. I wouldn't be worried about what side of the speaker that the port is placed on, the real problem is going to be all the diffraction that happens around the speaker.
Agreed, though that diffraction can be somewhat mitigated if the front baffle of the speaker is placed exactly even with the edge of the shelf, or forward of it.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Agreed, though that diffraction can be somewhat mitigated if the front baffle of the speaker is placed exactly even with the edge of the shelf, or forward of it.
Agree with this, though that is not always a reality of placement either. The image is still affected by may other factors. I'd actually prefer sealed when placing in a bookshelf, but front ported is the next choice.

D

daddyora

Enthusiast
Can you make a specific speaker recommendation ? It seems that you don't see a lot of reviews on sealed (acoustically suspended ?) speakers.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
If it'll work for music, it should be fine with HT as well.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
You might also consider the Hsu CCB-8. It has ported and sealed operating modes, and the sealed mode is probably better for the kind of boundary gain you will get from a crevice like a bookshelf. The thing about which side the port is mounted in a speaker doesn't really matter so much when you stuff them into a cubby The reason is boundary gain in low frequencies is going to get a boost no matter what, since the wavelengths of those frequencies are much longer than the bookshelf or speaker. What would behave better in those circumstances is a higher rolloff with a gentler slope like a sealed speaker. The horn-loaded tweeter of the CCB-8 would also be much less affected by diffraction than something that has a wide dispersion, i.e., a dome tweeter on a flat baffle.

D

daddyora

Enthusiast
You might also consider the Hsu CCB-8. It has ported and sealed operating modes, and the sealed mode is probably better for the kind of boundary gain you will get from a crevice like a bookshelf. The thing about which side the port is mounted in a speaker doesn't really matter so much when you stuff them into a cubby The reason is boundary gain in low frequencies is going to get a boost no matter what, since the wavelengths of those frequencies are much longer than the bookshelf or speaker. What would behave better in those circumstances is a higher rolloff with a gentler slope like a sealed speaker. The horn-loaded tweeter of the CCB-8 would also be much less affected by diffraction than something that has a wide dispersion, i.e., a dome tweeter on a flat baffle.
hmm, that's a different approach to the problem. I have about decided on the Hsu sub(s) anyway. Not totally in love with the yellow "eyeball" but like the technology that Hsu applies. I'll ask him for his take on the issue and give some feedback if I can get a response.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis