Is there a box that converts cable TV 1080 to 4k resolution?

Fishboy

Fishboy

Audioholic Intern
Hey Folks, Is there a box for cable TV that can be bought to upscale 1080p to 4K resolution for a 4K TV (I have a High def 1080 upgrade HD box already) from my cable company and watch the 1080 signal right now. I know my Yamaha RXV1081 has the 4K up-scaling feature but I understand it up scales to fit the screen of a 4K TV only. Is there such a thing? my cable company does not YET offer the 4K signal cable box. Also I have the Panasonic dmp-bdt460 which does upscale 1080 blue rays to the 4K resolution through its upscale capabilities, the picture on the Sony XBR900e is unreal. Can I perhaps run the cable through the blue ray player to reap this benefit as well?
Any help would be great and appreciated
Gatto

Fishboy

Fishboy

Audioholic Intern
TV does, as well as the Yamaha, but I have been told that the from the 1080 HD cable box signal, both of those (AV/TV) only upscale in terms of fitting the screen size of the 4K TV not the resolution of 3840 x 2160. Is this not correct?

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
TV does, as well as the Yamaha, but I have been told that the from the 1080 HD cable box signal, both of those (AV/TV) only upscale in terms of fitting the screen size of the 4K TV not the resolution of 3840 x 2160. Is this not correct?
They are the same thing. I suggest you check your TV specs for native resolution.
Some TVs do a better job upscaling, some not as great. none of them, including cheapest ones, suck.
check your model at rtings.com

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Couldn't tell ya, no 4k here. When I have lesser sources for my 1080p set I often play them in native format, but I do get and watch mostly 1080i/1080p content so not a big deal for the occasional dvd but my player can upscale and I let it, I don't use video processing in my receiver.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
Your receiver and TV both already scale to 4K. Pick whichever one does the best job and use it.

Your cable signal is crap to begin with, so understand that there is a long way between cable 1080i/p and UHD resolution. You will only get so much quality from even the best HD channels.

Fishboy

Fishboy

Audioholic Intern
Hey folks my Dad is looking for a TV, he is not tech savoy and looking for some help, Its between the Samsung QLED and LG OLED. I have seen multiple videos/articles on the LGs failing in regards to Burn-IN and quality issues. Both the TVs have a beautiful picture. I personally like the Samsung QLED brightness and picture. My Dad likes the picture on BOTH TVs, My concern is the quality issues with the LG OLED. Also, his seating distance is 11 ft straight shot and 8 feet at an angle, harsh angle by no means. Is the 55' enough or 65'. So QLED OR OLED
Thanks again folks!

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
If I were buying a high end TV to replace my plasma it'd be a Sony OLED hands down.

From what I've read the current QLED sets from Samsung don't have full array LED back-lighting so I wouldn't even consider them.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
I would go to at least a 65" display no matter what. LG is the better image. People with burn-in issues are causing them on their own. It's a POTENTIAL issue, but something to be aware of. For people who love black levels and watch a lot in the dark, the OLED will deliver the goods.

But, the Samsung TVs, or a Sony TV will perform very well also. If you need additional brightness and aren't going to be complaining about black levels which aren't best in class, then either of those are a good choice of the top of the line Vizio models should also be considered.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
If I were buying a high end TV to replace my plasma it'd be a Sony OLED hands down.

From what I've read the current QLED sets from Samsung don't have full array LED back-lighting so I wouldn't even consider them.
Minor correction, Samsung 2017 models didn't have full array LED back-lit, 2018 models do and updated QLED is closer in quality to OLED (at-least according to tech previews)

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Minor correction, Samsung 2017 models didn't have full array LED back-lit, 2018 models do and updated QLED is closer in quality to OLED (at-least according to tech previews)
Yes, I should have specified the year I was speaking of. Thanks for the correction.

I'll have to look at one of the new QLED when they get to my local BB.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis