Sennheiser HD600 (~$300) vs. HD650 (~$375) vs HiFiMan HE 400i (~$219)

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
I guess it just comes down to whether I want to wait it out for the Senns or scoop up the AKG since they are available now.
That's a hard decision because I'm really not very good at waiting. As it is I timed my decision perfectly and only had to wait a couple of months and since I live with Song Towers and have all of my other cans to play with it wasn't that much of a sacrifice to wait a couple of months for the HD6XXs that I've been lusting over for a decade. :D

Anyway, headphones are such a personal taste thing that it comes down to which sound signature that you prefer. My wonderful RBH cans make for really great music inside your head, but when I have time for critical listing I love a wide and detailed sound stage that no closed back headphone that I've ever tested has produced. When I'm in the mood for Klipsch-like, slightly piercing but bloody detailed highs and solid base on the go my VMODA Crossfade IIs BTs are just the ticket. Then again, when I'm in the mood to just veg out for hours to detailed jazz, new age, or Mozart I find comfort in the Massdrop/Senn HD6XX. Having never tried the AKG and not knowing your taste I have no idea which is the best choice for you, I'd just study up on their sound signatures and decide for yourself which is the best fit for you. Is there anywhere near you that you can try out both?

BTW replying to this post forced me to spend a couple of hours listening to favorites with my HD6xx which I really needed. :D

Last edited:
slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I went in for the HD6XX Massdrop.

Now, if I can just hold off 5 months without purchasing the AKG 7XX too :eek::eek::eek:

At these prices, it's hardly worth "try before you buy". Just buy them, give them long-term comparison testing, then keep the ones you prefer.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord

Now, if I can just hold off 5 months without purchasing the AKG 7XX too :eek::eek::eek:

At these prices, it's hardly worth "try before you buy". Just buy them, give them long-term comparison testing, then keep the ones you prefer.
I think it is very safe to say you would love either of them, but if I was in your shoes, I would go for the Sennheiser HD6XX because they have always made great sounding and comfortable headphone, IMHO.

Oh! Wait! I did get the HD6XX's!

Of course you'll never know which sounds better unless you get the AKG's! :p

If you will use these frequently, you have no need, but I ordered several cases from Amazon and found two that fit well (one was over-sized, so could hold some extra stuff like a player or batteries, etc). See post #45 here:
https://forums.audioholics.com/forums/threads/sennheiser-hd6xx-for-199-99.105482/page-3#post-1223788

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord

Shhh, Don't tell anyone but if you go here:
https://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-Open-Back-Professional-Headphone/dp/B00004SY4H
The use Call me where it says Amazon Harmony. You get 18% off code. Plus 5% cash back if you have amazon prime visa. Total should be around $223 and no need to wait for 6 months (you could still cancel drop if they haven't shipped it yet)

Last edited:
B

Boerd

Full Audioholic
Last month I got the HD 650 from Adorama - they were 315$. For me, from the above list I'd take HD 650 first choice and (very close) the HD 600. Never liked the Hifiman.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Left the office early today and stopped by on the way at audio46 headphones store.
Gave a quick audition for hd600.
Used literally only two tracks since was very pressed on time.
Short version is while I loved the sound quality, I strongly believe that my akg 712pro are more comfortable.
Not say that hd600 bad, but akg simply nailed it at comfort.
My GalaxyS8 could not power these sufficiently loud, used store provided fiio a5 amp.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Shhh, Don't tell anyone but if you go here:
https://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-Open-Back-Professional-Headphone/dp/B00004SY4H
The use Call me where it says Amazon Harmony. You get 18% off code. Plus 5% cash back if you have amazon prime visa. Total should be around $223 and no need to wait for 6 months (you could still cancel drop if they haven't shipped it yet)
HD600 are back on sale on Amazon. 10% money back with Prime credit card and another 10% with Harmony code - you'd have to talk to an agent to get one. Bottom line is about $200. You could sell them used on ebay for nearly that much

Last edited:
Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General
I own 2 O2 amps. One I bought and the other one I built.

The new Atom is based on the O2 design. It did quite well in a recent review.

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja
Anybody have any comments on Grado cans? How much would I have to spend on Grado to get to the same league as the others we been talking about here?

I don't have any experience with Grado, but every article I read about them and their history makes me want to give them a shot.
I currently own some AKG Studio 240s, some Grado SR60s and some Panasonic HT21s for walking. The Grados sound the best (to me) the AKGs sound good and are more comfortable than the Grados but the Panasonics are amazing in their pretty good sound and best comfort. Also they cost less than $10. That said I prefer the Grados for critical listening but I'm not sure they are as good as the AKG Sextettes I owned years ago but are long gone.
Dave

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
I own a pair HE400i...excellent sounding comfortable cans for the pricepoint..sensitivity is good enough that they are okay out of the box with Iphone, ipad, but adding a headphone amp/dac they benefit a great deal in detail.

4 yrs I've owned them now...Build quality is just okay imo...replaced the cables 2 mos ago and I may get another yr out of the left earcup pad before I need to replace it.

IMO, most open back designed cans sound somewhat similar in this price range. Comfort and build quality would be my aim...hard to improve on the HE400i SQ for that price. But the Senns build quality might be better.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis