Energy Connoiseur replacement Tweeters?

Mr. Shelly

Mr. Shelly

Audiophyte
I have a pair of Energy Connoiseur C-6 front speakers which I love. One of the tweeters is broke (the metal dome is cracked) and can't be repaired. There are no replacements available anywhere. I thought of getting a pair of the same tweeters that they use in my Energy AC-300 center but those are hard to find and 6 ohms instead of 8 ohms. So, that's out too.
I have contacted Parts Express and they said they don't have anything that would work and would suggest only finding a used direct replacement. There are no new/used replacements out there from the maker or the normal suppliers. I have searched multiple times and have come up with zip. I have been watching ebay for a while and have never seen one yet. I am still always looking though. I am also checking craigslist in case there happens to be somebody getting rid of a C6 or C8 (although it is possible the c2 and c4 use this tweeter as well) and I can harvest the drivers from it but no luck yet.
Simply Speakers said, "If you send in both stock tweeters (so they will match) we can rebuild them completely and just use the grill. We'd probably have to use soft domes. It will cost $75 per speaker. You might consider sending us the tweeter from your Center to rebuild as well for better voice imaging in your three front speakers." So, I don't know what they'd be using, except that it won't be anything like the stock speakers. With shipping both ways, tax and such I am looking at well over $200, maybe closer to 3 bills and will say goodbye to any chance of ever being able to have stock tweeters in there since they require me to send them in... So, I am going to be stuck once I commit to this. This is why I am rather concerned of doing it this way and would be more comfortable getting something close that I can read reviews about and make an informed choice. Then, if I don't like it, I can always keeping looking for another used stock tweeter.
Does anybody have any suggestions of what tweeters I should get? They will be crossed over @ 1.8k in 8ohm speakers and will need to handle higher power. The sound of the stock drivers is just awesome and I'd like the replacements to be as close as possible. I would be willing to modify to fit the new ones if needed but this may be difficult to accomplish in these speakers (you can see why in the pic). As far as other specs on them I am not sure other than they are rear mounted and the model number of the tweeters is 5DR53063. But here is what Energy said about these tweeters:
1" Aluminum Hybrid Dome Tweeter (Aluminum Done, Cloth Suspension) - this light rigid dome offers unparalleled dispersion and extremely low distortion with exceptional detail.
Thanks in advance for any help.

Attachments

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai

You can’t source them from Energy directly? If not, I’d just do a “saved search” on e-bay and be patient. There’s actually a pair of C6’s on sale right now.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Yup, when they say replacement, I believe they mean you'll need to find whole speakers and either use them and keep the current ones for parts or swap out the tweeters and use your current ones. That's the downside of discontinued speakers and manufacturers who get bought by larger companies.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
It does not say they have the tooling for his tweeter though.

His best bet is to buy that set on eBay. $350 is cheaper than a new set of speakers, and he has more spares.
The speakers I suspect could be modified to work with these SEAS aluminum dome tweeters.

They are an aluminum dome tweeter with a woven fabric surround. The free air resonance is 900 Hz, so they are suitable for crossing over at 1.8 K Hz.

Of course the cabinets would need modifying to mount them, and the crossover would require some redesign. This would require sending the speakers to someone with the right equipment and know how to measure the speakers and redesign the crossover.

I do believe though, that the speakers could be bright to sound as good or better than original condition.

This would not be an inexpensive project, likely. It might be easier than is often the case for a project like this, as it is certainly possible and even likely your speakers have a version of this very tweeter. SEAS do a lot of custom work of their products for speaker manufacture.

An aluminum tweeter able to be crossed over below 2 KHz is unusual to sy the least.

Mr. Shelly

Mr. Shelly

Audiophyte
No there is not any available from Energy for years now since they were bought out and moved from their original shop in Canada (when they made top notch stuff).
I am hoping for a single stock used tweeter, but haven't been able to find one. The backup idea would be a single C6 or C8 used. I'd use that tweeter and then bag or sell the x-over and bass drivers...
I did see that Seas tweeter and have contacted them about it and asked if they would suggest that or another one. But I have not heard back.
Thanks for comments so far guys.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

No there is not any available from Energy for years now since they were bought out and moved from their original shop in Canada (when they made top notch stuff).
I am hoping for a single stock used tweeter, but haven't been able to find one. The backup idea would be a single C6 or C8 used. I'd use that tweeter and then bag or sell the x-over and bass drivers...
I did see that Seas tweeter and have contacted them about it and asked if they would suggest that or another one. But I have not heard back.
Thanks for comments so far guys.
That SEAS tweeter is the only one that I can see that could be made to work. I also looked at other aluminum domes, and that is the only one that I see that could be made to work. I'm quite sure the crossover could be redesigned to make that tweeter work, and it just might not have to be. It could well be basically the same tweeter.

If you could remove a good tweeter so that the T/S parameters could be measured, it would be an easy matter to get the design going.

P

porschecab

Audiophyte
I have C2 and C4's. I think I can figure out how to remove the tweeters and check part numbers. Your best bet is finding C2's assuming same tweeter. A call to Energy might tell you that from an old parts list.
C2 are the least expense in the line and least expensive to ship. I found a pair of C2 locally for $120!

Mr. Shelly

Mr. Shelly

Audiophyte
Porschecab- Thank you for the offer to check the part number. Very cool of you. But I will contact Energy as it is a hassle to pull these. Even though they don't have these older parts anymore... they are still good enough to respond and have good customer service.
For future reference, to pull the tweeters (assuming it is the same as the C6 & C8), you will need to first pull the woofers. To do so, remove the ring that covers the screws holding in the woofer, once the woofer is out, then reach up inside and you can turn the tweeters clockwise and this will unlock them and you can pull them out of the woofer hole.

TLS GUY- That was not actually the one I was looking at, the one I was thinking of was the
SEAS Prestige 27TBFC/G (H1212), which I found on the same website. It handles a lower crossover point (1500-20k) and higher power (90con/220peak) as opposed to the SEAS Prestige 27TBCD/GB-DXT (H1499) with lower specs (2000-25k) and (55con/150peak). They both have a Aluminum/Magnesium dome and very close sensitivity ratings. I am uncertain of what other specs to look at. Is there still a reason you think I should go with the H1499 ($70) over the H1212 ($50)? I am sure one sounds better than the other but hard to know that I should spend the extra $20 each thinking that spending more means better, which we know is not always true.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

You should contact Madisound and ask them this same question. They are the USA distributor for SEAS products, and they may be aware of a replacement tweeter for your Energy C6.

https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/contact-us
The one I picked though I think is the best one. It has a very similar wave guide and a little more sensitivity to allow for pull up to flatten the response of the wave guide. Also its response does extend below 2K. Since Fs is 900 Hz a 1.8 KHz crossover will be just fine.

See if you can get the schematics of the crossover and the T/S parameters of the existing tweeter. If you can get those I'm pretty sure we can restore those speakers.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
The one I picked though I think is the best one…
I don't doubt you. In the first post Mr. Shelly told us that he called Parts Express about his problem. They do not sell SEAS drivers. So I thought he might ask Madisound directly. They may have encountered this problem before.

Last edited:
Mr. Shelly

Mr. Shelly

Audiophyte
Thank you fellas. I appreciate your thoughts and time. I think I will see if I can get a bit more info from Energy directly and send that to Seas and/or Madisound and see if they recommend those tweeters or...
I asked the same question at a couple other forums before and got far less responses with much less info and thought behind them. I think I found my trusted place for audio insanity and the obsessed like me and I mean that in a good way. Thanks again guys.

Mr. Shelly

Mr. Shelly

Audiophyte
Thank you fellas. I appreciate your thoughts and time. I think I will see if I can get a bit more info from Energy directly and send that to Seas and/or Madisound and see if they recommend those tweeters or...
I asked the same question at a couple other forums before and got far less responses with much less info and thought behind them. I think I found my trusted place for audio insanity and the obsessed like me and I mean that in a good way. Thanks again guys.

R

Rad_ken

Audiophyte
Sounds like this is late to the game but I do have a set of the Z5DR/53063 tweeters if there is still interest

Mr. Shelly

Mr. Shelly

Audiophyte
Sounds like this is late to the game but I do have a set of the Z5DR/53063 tweeters if there is still interest
I can't believe the coincidence of this. I did not get an email alert about this new posting on thread I started, but happened to check this for the first time in almost two years. I was about to give up and buy a new pair of speakers today and part the C6s.
What condition are those tweeters in? How much would you want for the pair (shipped to CA). Would you consider selling just one?
Oh and please reply quickly if possible as I am supposed to meet a guy today about buying a different set of speakers to replace the Energys.
Thank you.

S

Shawn Dittrich

Audiophyte
I can't believe the coincidence of this. I did not get an email alert about this new posting on thread I started, but happened to check this for the first time in almost two years. I was about to give up and buy a new pair of speakers today and part the C6s.
What condition are those tweeters in? How much would you want for the pair (shipped to CA). Would you consider selling just one?
Oh and please reply quickly if possible as I am supposed to meet a guy today about buying a different set of speakers to replace the Energys.
Thank you.
Hey if you don't want both tweeters I've got a set of c4's and one damaged tweeter lol, and same as you I've been searching for a couple years and while i did see oneon eBay it auctioned for $40 but shipping was $275 lol. I completely understand if you want to keep both as i know how hard they are to acquire.

Mr. Shelly

Mr. Shelly

Audiophyte
Hey if you don't want both tweeters I've got a set of c4's and one damaged tweeter lol, and same as you I've been searching for a couple years and while i did see oneon eBay it auctioned for $40 but shipping was $275 lol. I completely understand if you want to keep both as i know how hard they are to acquire.
I just bought the pair from him, awaiting for delivery. I will have one good extra I wasn't planning to to sell, but if you are in need I understand. I could sell you the good one I have now. Let me know if you interested.

S

Shawn Dittrich

Audiophyte
I just bought the pair from him, awaiting for delivery. I will have one good extra I wasn't planning to to sell, but if you are in need I understand. I could sell you the good one I have now. Let me know if you interested.
Yes i would greatly appreciate that. I am so thankful i came across this thread. You are "the man" and totally made my day ☺

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis