Possibly Blown Speaker

L

look_at_that

Audiophyte
I have an old pair of Monitor Audio 2s. They are incredible speakers

On one of the speakers, the mid speaker is not producing any sound (the tweeter is fine). I measured the ohms and it reads infinite (the other working speaker reads ~5 ohms). I'm assuming that means my speaker is blown or something. The speaker itself is physically fine (no tears, and its still springy).

What are my options? Can it be repaired? Should I take it to an audio repair center?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
I have an old pair of Monitor Audio 2s. They are incredible speakers

On one of the speakers, the mid speaker is not producing any sound (the tweeter is fine). I measured the ohms and it reads infinite (the other working speaker reads ~5 ohms). I'm assuming that means my speaker is blown or something. The speaker itself is physically fine (no tears, and its still springy).

What are my options? Can it be repaired? Should I take it to an audio repair center?
That loudspeaker is not possibly blown, it is blown. You have burnt out the voice coil from over driving.

If the drive unit is to be salvaged, then it needs reconing. You will have to get in touch with Monitor Audio and see if they offer a reconing service. If they do not offer a reconing service you will have to purchase a new driver from them. The speakers can't be that old, as far as I can tell they were introduced in 2105 and are still in production.

Is this the speaker we are talking about?

B

Beave

Audioholic Chief
^That's the Bronze 2, a pretty recent offering. I'm guessing his Monitor Audio 2s are a much older speaker. I'd be pretty surprised if Monitor Audio has replacement drivers available, but it's worth asking. I think their contact info for the US and Canada is through their distributor, Kevro.

https://www.kevro.com/contact-us.php

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

^That's the Bronze 2, a pretty recent offering. I'm guessing his Monitor Audio 2s are a much older speaker. I'd be pretty surprised if Monitor Audio has replacement drivers available, but it's worth asking. I think their contact info for the US and Canada is through their distributor, Kevro.

https://www.kevro.com/contact-us.php
Well I wish people when they ask for help would provide complete information.

He might mean the Silver 2 speakers. I can't find a speaker called the 2s. The Silver 2 speakers are discontinued, and have the old ceramic cones. I, like you, doubt any parts are available. If that is the case he has to go speaker shopping. His current set is done.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Thanks for the hep guys. There arent a lot of references to this speaker on the internet. This is the best i could find: https://www.stereophile.com/standloudspeakers/295monitor/index.html
That piece is from 2006. So if the speakers are that old it is very unlikely Monitor Audio have a recone kit or a spare driver. On the off chance they have, I would contact Monitor Audio directly. The agent I doubt will have an interest.

If Monitor Audio have no parts or a new driver then your only other option is to put a watch on eBay for someone parting one of those speakers out. For that speaker I think that is a long shot.

If Monitor Audio can not help you then you really need to treat yourself to a new pair of speakers.

I would see of you get any takers on eBay for the tweeters, the one good driver and the crossovers.
Someone also may have a damaged cabinet and need a replacement. You might go a long way to paying for your new set of speakers. Parting out usually gets more than selling a complete speaker.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis