B&W 804 D3 max room size

O

oren rokach

Audiophyte
Hi everyone,
considering to buy B&W 804 D3 (have no budget for the 803),
my living room + kitchen is 40x25 ft (1000sqft)
looking for opinions weather room size is too big for those speakers?

Thanks!

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Hi everyone,

Thanks!
That room is big for most speakers. Are you planning on using a sub? Where are you located?

O

oren rokach

Audiophyte
well... wasn't planning on using a sub, since the 804 has two bass units
I am afraid that only very loud volume would fill up the room
Should i consider larger towers?

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
well... wasn't planning on using a sub, since the 804 has two bass units
I am afraid that only very loud volume would fill up the room
Should i consider larger towers?
Yes you should. Those two woofers are not going to fill it up. Where are you located?

O

oren rokach

Audiophyte
(Israel)
so whats the use of buying a speaker which half of it would be redundant?
should i switch to 2 shelves (mid/twitters) and one major sub?

opinions?

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Two Subs and some high dynamic range bookshelves might do the trick. But the JTR Speakers listed in the article would be the best value. The JBL M2s at the right price would be great.

O

oren rokach

Audiophyte
if i buy teh JTR, it would cost me a bit more than listed, as i will have to pay alimony till the kids are 18y/o

i guess i am limited by 1.2 meters high/30cm wide. (804 d3 style)

speakers can be bought in the u.s., but price difference is now minimal, so makes no sense to import.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
B&W states the 804 plays down 24h -3dbs, I do not believe for one second they do.

K

kini

Full Audioholic
Unless you're planning on listening from 40' away the size of the room has little to do with what size speakers you need. At normal listening distances the speakers will be fine.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Unless you're planning on listening from 40' away the size of the room has little to do with what size speakers you need. At normal listening distances the speakers will be fine.
I was under the impression he wanted to fill the room

A

Andrein

Senior Audioholic
Jtr 215 are on discount atm. Manufacturer price is about 3200usd atm. Even if you send them from us to israel i think it will be a good value)))

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Hi everyone,

Thanks!
It depends on:

1) Distance. How far you sit from the speakers.
2) Volume. How loud do you listen at this distance.
3) How much bass you want.

With a pair of speakers like this (sensitivity of 89dB/w/m, max power 200W), you could get 100dB volume from 18FT distance using 200 watts of power.

But as everyone says, you won't get much bass from these towers and most towers (including B&W 802D3 which goes down to 35Hz @ -3dB) to fill the room.

However, if you don't care for much bass at all, then the 804D3 may do it for you.

O

oren rokach

Audiophyte
Hi and thanks for your suggestion,
i did go to the Audio shop once more, and since the 803 are out of budget, he offered the Monitor Audio PL300 II,
and when my hair got stiffen, I suddenly understood what i was missing...and once you go black.....
I figured that there is no alternative to size, no matter how much technology the 804 d3 has, they are not in the same league.

i have opened a new thread:

https://forums.audioholics.com/forums/threads/monitor-audio-pl300-ii-vs-elac-507-jet-general-comparision-speaker-cabinet-geometry-etc.110314/

Thanks for all you help,
you guys are great! ;)

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
Hi everyone,

Thanks!
Long time 804 owner...and spent a lot of time with the D3 series demoing. The 804 did add another bass driver and it does go lower than it did with one bass driver. However, the D3 is still not really what you would consider a strong bass performer imo....much like the Paradigm Persona 3F, seated 7-8' from the speaker they sound great...10'+ away, they need a sub imo.

If I were in your shoes...I would see if there is a Revel dealer around, the F208 is a better value, and imo a better all around performer than the 804D3. If you have the space, I think you can get a great pair of floor standers with a pair of beast subs for a little more than half the cost of the 804d3.

E

<eargiant

Senior Audioholic
I'd go Bowers & Wilkins D3 or D2 and add a nice REL sub or two and call it a day. You will never look back.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
Why tiptoe around when you can essentially fill, or perhaps even overwhelm your large space with the right speakers. Easily powered and can put in larger cabinets for more bass if not using subs.

Fusion-15 Sentinel

Heck, the Fusion-12's would probably fill that space.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis