A possible upgrade?

P

paulzhere

Junior Audioholic
Hi all

I am not really an audiophile and have just stepped into this fascinating world. I currently have a 2.1 stereo setup where a pair of Magnat Monitor Supreme 802 floorstanders powered by a Marantz NR1602. Currently, there is a big sale on the Polk Audio T50's which are going for Euro 99 each on Amazon. I was wondering if I should go for them. Would that be a possible upgrade to my current Magnats? My handicap is that, being a student, I am always on a budget and there is not much possibility for me to audition stuff. Moreover, I live in a rented apartment and so it is impossible to do any kind of room treatment. Speaker upgrade is perhaps the best I can do.

My Magnats sound pretty good to my ears so far but I have no idea if there is better stuff out there. I appreciate good music and good quality listening but as I said I'm no expert. Forget any kind of comparison with the Polks, the Magnats have not even been reviewed in any of the forums. Does anyone have any experience with the Magnats? If so, should I upgrade to the Polks?

Any suggestions, criticisms, recommendations will be highly appreciated.

Thanks!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
At a guess I'd say it would be a lateral move at best but hard to know which you'd prefer. I don't see much information on Magnat (never heard of them). Those are fairly low end Polks in any case. If anything the Magnats are a bit more sensitive and have slightly better published specs on the low end (altho I'd prefer to see measurements for both of them), and would think with that avr the better sensitivity would be an advantage.

P

paulzhere

Junior Audioholic
At a guess I'd say it would be a lateral move at best but hard to know which you'd prefer. I don't see much information on Magnat (never heard of them). Those are fairly low end Polks in any case. If anything the Magnats are a bit more sensitive and have slightly better published specs on the low end (altho I'd prefer to see measurements for both of them), and would think with that avr the better sensitivity would be an advantage.
Hi lovinthehd

Thanks for the response. Yes Magnats are, I don't think, exported out of EU. Extremely difficult to find anything on them at all. It was an impulsive purchase as these were (again) on sale. I think they are trying to flush out the Monitor Supreme series. They have been decent so far, but I think there are certain things that could be better for eg. the lower end could be less muddy and the off-axis performance could be better. But then I don't know what to expect from entry-level floor standers anyway.

In any case, I shall keep my "ears" open for good deals ;)

Cheers

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis