Floorstanding Speaker Pair Suggestions?

S

Soner

Audioholic Intern
Hello all,

Thank you for your responses in advance.

What are your favorite (or rumored favorite) floorstanding speakers in the $1000/pair range?

I'm looking for suggestions. I listen mostly to rock and alternative, some pop and hip hop/rap.

Thanks again,
Soner

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Dang, they just had a sale on JBL 590s for $900/pr....now they're back to full price ($1k ea). Abandoning the SVS ULtra standmounts?

S

Soner

Audioholic Intern
Dang, they just had a sale on JBL 590s for $900/pr....now they're back to full price ($1k ea). Abandoning the SVS ULtra standmounts?
Dang, too much for me unfortunately. I don't have SVS Ultra.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks for the super quick response!

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Hello all,

Thank you for your responses in advance.

What are your favorite (or rumored favorite) floorstanding speakers in the $1000/pair range?

I'm looking for suggestions. I listen mostly to rock and alternative, some pop and hip hop/rap.

Thanks again,
Soner
Acc4less has the KEF Q700's on sale brand new for ONLY $399 each w/free shipping! They are black in color. Here is a link:

https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/kefq700blka/kef-q700-6.5-3-way-floorstanding-speaker-black-each/1.html

Cheers,

Phil

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Last edited:
S

Soner

Audioholic Intern
Thank you. I'll definitely look into these. I just got done listening to ELAC UF5's at a local stereo store. They sounded amazing, incredible detail, imaging, and soundstage. Difficult to choose something that I have not heard (and may not be able to) over something I have heard and enjoy, even if the original MSRP is 2.5 x the ELACs'. Any suggestions on making decisions?

S

Soner

Audioholic Intern
I like the ML motion series, but think you can get equivalent for less.
I'd go with the Philharmonic Audio BMR ($1350 plus shipping)
http://www.philharmonicaudio.com/BMR Philharmonitor.html

These are not true floor standers, but specification wise, they have the bass of most mentioned floorstanders.

I noticed you also suggested the Canton Chrono 509.2 ( https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/cantchrono5092dcblka/canton-chrono-509.2-dc-7-3-way-floorstanding-speaker-black-each/1.html ) to someone else. How do you think they would stack up to other considerations here?

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I noticed you also suggested the Canton Chrono 509.2 ( https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/cantchrono5092dcblka/canton-chrono-509.2-dc-7-3-way-floorstanding-speaker-black-each/1.html ) to someone else. How do you think they would stack up to other considerations here?
I Have heard the Canton Chrono series bookshelf speakers, they are good for what they cost (especially in this closeout sale) and I would expect it to easily out perform SVS prime towers ($500 each) or the Elac Uni-Fi towers (except imaging - the concentric drivers will always rule imaging).
However, the RAAL tweeter used in the BMR will definitely be more clean than the Chrono's magnesium-aluminum tweeter (the Chrono is good for what it costs, but RAAL is a world class driver and Dennis tends to get all of the goody there is out of the drivers he selects).
If you wanted to go Canton and are not too stuck on the tower form, I would get the Vento 820.2 for $600/pr that is a notch above the Chrono. The Ceramic tweeter they use is a clear improvement over the Chrono.
https://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/cantvento8202blka/canton-vento-820.2-2-way-6in-bookshelf-speaker-black-gloss-pair/1.html
I have not yet heard the BMR, but I suspect the Vento 820.2 (the more expensive Vento 9 DC that A4L sells predates the ceramic tweeter so I would stay away from them) is getting close to the BMR (not including that the BMR pretty much has full range bass after room gain for most music content).
At $600 for the Ventos, that woulds leave you about $800 (after shipping fees on the BMR) to go towards subwoofage as compared to the BMR's.

If you have the money for BMR's and high quality subs, I suspect that is the better alternative, but if you will be cash strapped for your subs, the Ventos are at a very high level of performance, and I would focus on a pair of good subs to mate with them!

For any tower (and the BMR's to a lesser extent) you are spending a lot of money for the extra bass, larger cabinet (including increased handling and shipping), and higher level of output. Unless you like to listen very very loud, or have an unusually large room to fill, the Vento 820.2 will do the job very well.

Last edited:
TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
I own Dennis' Philharmonic 3's and can speak to his build and sound quality, but the value is unmatched in the market place. You get far more speaker for your money with Philharmonic Audio than anyone else, and Dennis frequents these forums.

The ML Motion 40 is an excellent speaker that I enjoyed hearing. However I would not pay $1600 for a pair of them, again citing the Philharmonic BMR as a better value.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Any suggestions on making decisions?
Your the only one who can make a decision -- however I am not afraid to take a risk, and the best place to get the true feel of a speaker is in your home, a friends home with proper set-up, or a speaker designer's place.

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
If I can get a pair of Martin Logan Motion 40's for $1600, should I?

http://www.newaudiovideo.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=9998
OEM floorstanders...under $2k

ML, Motion 40...I like this speaker a lot, and you're getting a good price at $800 per. Has a ribbon tweeter, more neutral than the motion 60...cleaner sound.

Goldenear Triton 3+...a similar sounding speaker to the Motion 40, a little more bass.

Paradigm...Monitor 9...has always been a go to speaker for me to refer to people that want a budget "serious system". The 11 goes deeper, bigger sound stage, but smaller 9 just sounds cleaner to me...with a sub I would go with the 9.

Can't go wrong with any of the 3 imo, but as mentioned...the price of the motion 40 was pretty good compared what BB sells that speaker for.

3db

3db

Audioholic Slumlord
TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
ML, Motion 40...I like this speaker a lot, and you're getting a good price at $800 per. Has a ribbon tweeter, more neutral than the motion 60...cleaner sound.
Actually it is an AMT - Air Motion Transformer

As used in the ML Motion series, it is an effortless tweeter that never sounds harsh and remains very neutral.

I would argue for the quality of high frequencies, particularly of stringed instruments, as reproduced by a ribbon tweeter, in contrast.

Bass reproduction that is equal to every set ears in the room, at every frequency, is not possible with any set of speakers due to control of the room. Subwoofers must be used, so if the question at this price point becomes more about overall sound quality, the BMR wins.

BTW, how are you, 2channel, loving your new Salks? (that are also designed by Dennis Murphy @Soner )

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
Actually it is an AMT - Air Motion Transformer

As used in the ML Motion series, it is an effortless tweeter that never sounds harsh and remains very neutral.

I would argue for the quality of high frequencies, particularly of stringed instruments, as reproduced by a ribbon tweeter, in contrast.

Bass reproduction that is equal to every set ears in the room, at every frequency, is not possible with any set of speakers due to control of the room. Subwoofers must be used, so if the question at this price point becomes more about overall sound quality, the BMR wins.

BTW, how are you, 2channel, loving your new Salks? (that are also designed by Dennis Murphy @Soner )
Thanks for the correction on that tweeter.

My second on the motion 40 ( pardon that pun :)) is not in lieu of the BMRs...I thought he was looking for OEM speakers. By all means, I have not heard the BMRs, but Murphy has the goods.

Been great thanks...just incredible speakers. I've got a few days off here and not one has passed without me playing the Salks for at least an hour or two. I'm heading out of here now to put a cap on a few things and I've got the afternoon with them alone.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis