Newb... Looking for opinions.

H

HardHead

Audiophyte
I'll start by saying that I know very little about the AV world. This is what I have in my living room and I've never been impressed with the sound. I think I purchased the Infinity SATs 18 years ago. This is used mostly for theater and gaming.. Music is played maybe 5% of the time, if that.

Current 5.1 setup:
5 Infinity HTS-SAT
1 Infinity PS8
1 Denon AVR-788
1 PS4
1 HR54-500
1 Vizio M652i-B2

I'm limited by space and room layout, not to mention the wife (so floor speakers are not going to happen). The living space is about 16' by 16'. All 5 speakers are mounted high near the ceiling. The CC is above the display and the sub is in a far corner on the tile floor (tile throughout with an area rug in center).

I probably should have come here for advice before I made this purchase, however, the items I ordered just arrived and I could probably send them back. This was an impulse purchase when a buddy passed a link showing the pairs at under $200 and the CC at $145.. Basically, these 5 speakers set me back about $550.

My new arrival:
Main RTi A3
SAT RTi A1
CC CSi A4

At that price point, could I have done significantly better?

I'm looking to replace the sub as well, so I'm open to any suggestions that might pair well with what I have and the space that I'm working with. My AVR seems to fit the bill for now, and I'll likely keep it until I upgrade to 4K/UHD display. Unless of course there is some reason I'm missing to upgrade now (better audio with 1080P display?)..

I've uploaded a fairly crude layout of the living area. The pink highlights show where the 5 speakers are positioned, the blue is the sub. I'm planning to keep these speakers mounted high on the wall with side clamping bookshelf wall mounts that tilt and swivel.

Having said all that, any thoughts, suggestions, input?

Thanks for reading!!

Attachments

M

Mark of Cenla

Full Audioholic
I like those Polks, so I would not send them back. Peace and goodwill.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I think the speakers are fine, and you got a good deal on them. The thing to do now is get a good subwoofer to match!

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
If you like them, then no need to ask if you should send them back -- enjoy what you like.

H

HardHead

Audiophyte
What sub might you recommend for the space described and performance of the polks? Is there such a thing as too much or overkill? Would $500 be a reasonable budget?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

H

HardHead

Audiophyte
VTF-2 looks good to me.. This whole thing was an unplanned, impulse purchase. I'm sure it will sound significantly better than what I have now.

Thanks!

H

HardHead

Audiophyte
They got me with sales tax, but at least I get to pick it up.. Only 5 miles from me.. That VTF-2 barely fits where I need it To place it!

Now.. One more question, any good reason to replace the AVR, or just roll with it?

I think 5.1 is the best I'm going to get with my living room layout... And I don't see myself selling the house anytime soon.

H

HardHead

Audiophyte
This whole thing was a mistake... Now I'm looking at the LSi that are on sale. Might have to put a Benelli up for sale and jump on a Black Friday deal...

Wife is not going to be amused...

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
If you do get the LSIs you probably will want a new avr. They dip to 4ohms and are 5ohms nominal so get one that is stable into those loads.

This whole thing was a mistake... Now I'm looking at the LSi that are on sale. Might have to put a Benelli up for sale and jump on a Black Friday deal...

Wife is not going to be amused...

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis