Just another HDMI failure thread question...

ski2xblack

ski2xblack

Audioholic Field Marshall
Is it common for single HDMI input to fail? The kit in question is a Marantz SR6007. This unit has several HDMI inputs. I figured they all would go if the board was cooked, but it seems most function but one won't pass audio (video seems fine).

For the time being, I've re-assigned and re-named inputs for the few HDMI sources I use to hdmi inputs that still work, and there are enough functional HDMI inputs to accommodate this, but I suspect it's just a matter of time until they too bite the dust.

Friggin' pos AVR bs, dammit. /rant

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
My Pioneer started it's failure with hdmi issues along those lines, eventually total failure of anything hdmi then the whole unit later...

mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.
Is it common for single HDMI input to fail? The kit in question is a Marantz SR6007. This unit has several HDMI inputs. I figured they all would go if the board was cooked, but it seems most function but one won't pass audio (video seems fine).

For the time being, I've re-assigned and re-named inputs for the few HDMI sources I use to hdmi inputs that still work, and there are enough functional HDMI inputs to accommodate this, but I suspect it's just a matter of time until they too bite the dust.

And, of course, parts have been farmed out to another company who doesn't stock parts.

ski2xblack

ski2xblack

And, of course, parts have been farmed out to another company who doesn't stock parts.
oh yay! /s

Feeling as grumpy about AVRs as TLSguy right now. This thing has barely been used, very few working hours on the thing, and it was not exactly their entry-level at the time purchased.

It's making me appreciate the old luddite analog equipment even more...

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

oh yay! /s

Feeling as grumpy about AVRs as TLSguy right now. This thing has barely been used, very few working hours on the thing, and it was not exactly their entry-level at the time purchased.

It's making me appreciate the old luddite analog equipment even more...
Oh dear!

You have every reason to be grumpy. That HDMI board is on the way out. See what luck you have finding a replacement and please report back.

I just spoke to my engineer son about this.

They are in the midst of a second merger, pending Federal Trade approval, in the last year or so. They design and make a lot of chips for Apple, and the intent is to make all of them.

Anyway I gave him my rant. The problem is that these units are now so complex that the market does not justify the design and production of the chips or the boards. The honest fact is that the manufacturing industry wants these units gone for ever. According to him this will not take long to come about.

In his case, he has a 75" Sony 4 K TV sound bar with no sub and has put in a whole house Sonos system. Upstairs he has an old analog tow channel receiver now on the Sonos network connected to a pair of very nice speakers I had in production at one time. He has no interest in high quality audio otherwise.

The big problem to making DIY pre/pros is the HDMI input board. There are a few mother boards with a solitary HDMI input. The rest is doable, there is software out there for speaker set up, decoding, bass management and EQ.

So this winter I will look at the feasibility of adapting the guts of an HDMI switcher into the game.

May be this is a project members with the right skill set and education could participate in. I do have two sons who are excellent coders and one is also the engineer.

The other option is to look up my post on repurposing vintage gear.

If we do get confined to 2.0 home theater it would not be the worst thing in the world. It would be a lot better than a sound bar and a Sonos system!

The other thing is that I think there is room for a 5.1 pre/pro and just that, no streaming or add ons. In a way this issue has been created by too much consumer demand for features, and Atmos being he a big culprit.

I follow vintage Quad gear prices closely. There has always been a strong market for it but now prices are rising fast. A Quad 34 premp recently sold on eBay in the thousands of dollars. I could not believe it. It was a Far Eastern Sale.

Clones of fine vintage Quad units are starting to proliferate.

I think there is already a sense out there that unwelcome changes are coming.

I just hope high fidelity audio does not become restricted to turntables costing the price of a car, and CD players with prices out of site.

In summary it is not too soon to make plans.

Johnny2Bad

Johnny2Bad

Audioholic Chief
I don't think that the feature bloat has anything to do with consumers; it's entirely industry-driven in order to churn sales. I agree that 5.1 works pretty well if you value simplicity. Certainly advanced systems with now Dolby Atmos being promoted at CES and elsewhere offer performance if you limit your criteria somewhat (soundfield above everything else) but I have never heard a consumer say "I need 16 powered channels to enjoy a movie". (Why 16? Well, just wait and see).

As my buddy says, "I didn't buy a receiver, I bought a receiver and a book. A book I'm supposed to read and understand to watch a movie. A book!"

Anything that complex is bound to fail and to become obsolete in a relatively short (for audio components) period of time.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

I could not agree more with everything you have to say.

This is going to reap a grim harvest, especially for the consumer.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I could not agree more with everything you have to say.

This is going to reap a grim harvest, especially for the consumer.
The hdmi thing ain't about the consumer's best interests....just the content owners....

M Code

M Code

Audioholic General
Many of the HDMI board failures are due to inadequate free-air clearance..
The chips on the HDMI board are typically overclocked and run on the hot side. Though the recommended free-air clearance specs vary from brand to brand, typically @least 4-5" are required for the L/R sides and top cover. Also don't stack any component on top of the AVR..

Just my $0.02... ;)

ski2xblack

ski2xblack

It's had an external cooling fan it's whole life, fwiw.

update:

So my guy in Loveland is no longer a D&M authorized dude, and parts are only available via the current authorized repair facility down in Denver. Because of that he wasn't familiar with the current situation with the brand/parts, but seemed in agreement in general with the trouble with AVRs that we commonly express. It keeps him busy, so that's good.

I haven't checked with the authorized repair facility, so as of now parts availability is an open question. I suppose the longer I wait, the greater chance at parts being unavailable. Not sure I care enough to fix it. I can always kludge around the hdmi board, as it has several digital and a grip of line level inputs.

I'm not sure what I'll do. Probably nothing. Zero expense is better than any amount above zero just to fix an inherently compromised piece of kit.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

update:

So my guy in Loveland is no longer a D&M authorized dude, and parts are only available via the current authorized repair facility down in Denver. Because of that he wasn't familiar with the current situation with the brand/parts, but seemed in agreement in general with the trouble with AVRs that we commonly express. It keeps him busy, so that's good.

I haven't checked with the authorized repair facility, so as of now parts availability is an open question. I suppose the longer I wait, the greater chance at parts being unavailable. Not sure I care enough to fix it. I can always kludge around the hdmi board, as it has several digital and a grip of line level inputs.

I'm not sure what I'll do. Probably nothing. Zero expense is better than any amount above zero just to fix an inherently compromised piece of kit.
That was not an inexpensive receiver. Design is about 6 years old I think.

I have done a search for an HDMI board. I do not seem to be able to find one.

This is a total disgrace. It looks as if the new owners of D & M want to run it into the ground.

For the age and price of that unit it should be worth repair.

M Code

M Code

Audioholic General

update:

An external fan may help.. But the real question is "What is the internal temperature of the AVR?" If too high the AVR's reliability will likely be affected.. Heat is the worst enemy of electronics..

Just my $0.02... ;)

M Code

M Code

Audioholic General

If only (1) HDMI jack is defective, most likely it needs to resoldered into the PCB. Some HDMI cable connectors like from Monster are too big and out-of-spec and tend to be forced into the jack, this will put higher force on the HDMI's PCB connections. Additionally some HDMI cables are on the bulky, heavy side and when pulled on can also put higher force on the HDMI jack...

Just my $0.02... ;)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis