Got my Ultras today!

A

Andrein

Senior Audioholic
When I had the Ultra bookshelves as my mains (got the towers up front now, woot!) I had them about 20" from the back wall. About 11' apart and I sit 14' away from them. The left one was almost in the corner. After running room correction they sounded fantastic. Are you using a sub with them? Have you run any kind of room correction? Audyssey does a really nice job in my room.

I have a pair of subs as my listening space is pretty large. I'm also using a bookshelf as my center. If you can swing it (have the room), that is hands down what I'd recommend. Not only will you save a few bucks, it's a perfect timbre match.
What is actually the benefit of Tower vs Bookshelf speakers here? Did you notice any difference? I guess sensitivity slightly higher, more power, maybe slightly better quality given higher price? Always wondered why tower if all below 80hz will be trimmed anyway.

Last edited:
KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
What is actually the benefit of Tower vs Bookshelf speakers here? Did you notice any difference? I guess sensitivity slightly higher, more power, maybe slightly better quality given higher price? Always wondered why tower if all below 80hz will be trimmed anyway.
Generally higher sensitivity and greater max SPL are advantages of towers.
Generally cost and low resonances are the advantages of bookshelf speakers.
With towers, you are often paying a premium for the bottom 20-30Hz they add to the sound, but with a sub that is not really relevant.
The bookshelf usually has the same quality drivers and crossover short the low frequency driver.
Obviously there are lots of unique situations, but as a rule of thumb, I would rather have a bookshelf speaker if my budget for two speakers was under ~$1500. This is because that is about the price where manufacturers start getting very serious about adding bracing to prevent cabinet resonance.
Any $500 or less pair of towers I have heard were a mess if you turned up the volume very high because the bass got muddy from cabinet resonance.
As price continues to go up, the tower gets better bracing and is close to a bookshelf for not resonating.
At this point, it generally gets down to cost, looks, and perception. Some people enjoy a little extra bass reinforcement from towers, but it seems to me as more of a EQ flexibility than actually wanting more bass (which turning up your sub would get).

From a value standpoint, unless you need the extra sensitivity or output, the bookshelf is always a better value! For a tower, you are paying a lot for extra handling and shipping costs as well as the larger cabinet. None of that gets better sound quality since you are using a sub for bass.

However, these are gross generalities!
For any given speaker, it is wise to listen and compare the two versions if the opportunity presents itself!

P

pewternhrata

Audioholic Chief
After having time to listen and move things around, and at times a few weeks pass without listening to them at all, I have one main 'complaint. Without a sub (Dayton 1200, I will upgrade next year) these things have no low end, to the point of them not being enjoyable without a sub. The room is 14' left to right, 13' front to back. The ceiling is slanted, left side is 11.5' high, right side is 8' high. I usually sit around 9' from them. Sub is on the left wall about 3' off the front wall. With the sub on, xover at 80 it is extremely enjoyable listening to these things. With out the sub its honestly just annoying how 'dead' the low end is. I don't expect huge bass from these but almost depressing at a $1k price point. I'm using an Integra dtr 7.8 sometimes direct, other times stereo. 2.0 or 2.1. set at 6ohms (should I set it to 4?) Ive had the best bass response with them in the corners, but they open up a lot more (highs and mids) when pulled off about 1' from the walls but bass is almost non existent.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I have heard the Ultra Bookshelves and always thought they provide decent bass for a 6.5" bookshelf speaker.
Make sure you don't have a crossover still in play when you are not using the subs!
Otherwise, it sounds like you have just gotten used to having a sub in your system.
Also, maybe your room doesn't add much room gain.

Last edited:
P

pewternhrata

Audioholic Chief
I have heard the Ultra Bookshelves and always thought they provide decent bass for a 6.5" bookshelf speaker.
Make sure you don't have a crossover still in play when you are not using the subs!
Otherwise, it sounds like you have just gotten used to having a sub in your system.
Also, maybe your room doesn't add much room gain.
If sub is set to 'none' would the xover default to 'full'?
I think the problem is a setting somewhere in the Integra, but def not in the power department

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Don't know about Integra.
Also, you might double check that they are not wired out of phase.

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
I think the problem is that flat doesn't really sound flat when you get to subwoofer range. I prefer a house curve in my bass, and I'd bet @pewternhrata does as well. If he could quantify what he hears and dislikes from bookshelves minus sub with a measurement graph or two, I'm sure that would help.

Also @p, if your Integra has a selectable switch for speaker impedance, leave it switched to its biggest number. Switching it to 4 ohms would limit it unnecessarily.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Set the speakers to large when listening in 2.0 stereo

My Integra has a selectable impedance switch, as stated leave it at the highest mark.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
SVS Ultra Bookshelf -- HT Labs

The Ultra Bookshelf’s listening-window response (a five-point average of axial and +/–15-degree horizontal and vertical responses) measures +1.56/–3.20 decibels from 200 hertz to 10 kilohertz. The –3-dB point is at 56 Hz, and the –6-dB point is at 49 Hz.

And there is not artificial bass bump or push in the Ultra bookshelf

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I don't like listening to my towers without a sub. I always expect there not to be enough bass. Keep in mind too, it is a bookshelf speaker and +/- 3db to 56hz is pretty respectable. If you're even a little serious about bass you would need a sub.

P

pewternhrata

Audioholic Chief
Reset the 7.8, little improvement but not much. I'm 99% that I'm missing a setting. I hooked up my Integra dtr 5.3, way better bass response. I know the 7.8 isn't loaded with endless settings but I have to be missing something somewhere. Direct mode is lower than stereo but stereo seems to image better overall. I'm thinking a new sub is in the near future, I just don't care for the Dayton, it's a decent sub for movies but I'm thinking a sealed 12" from svs is a better option for music

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis