Bookshelf Speakers - you help me decide

J

Jeremy257

Enthusiast
Hello all,

I'm looking for advice before I make a purchase. My main system is down in my man cave. My wife and I want some better sound in the upstairs. We currently are just using a Google Home in our kitchen. I'm looking at some bookshelf speakers that I'll mount on stands to put in the living room area that is open to the kitchen. They will be used 90% music / 10% movies for the flat screen. I want to hook up a Chromecast Audio as the source. I went and demo'd some Kef LS50 wireless speakers a couple of days ago and while they sounded good I don't think I want to spend that much. If I had been in awe of the performance I would have bought them. They had great clarity but could have had more base and for that kind of money I wanted to be in tears.

I think I've narrowed the decision down to 4 options:

1: Philharmonic AA w/ Onkyo A-9010
2: Kef X300a wireless
3: Airmotiva 6s
4: JBL LSR308

Thoughts? Suggestions? Thanks in advance

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
Hello all,

I'm looking for advice before I make a purchase. My main system is down in my man cave. My wife and I want some better sound in the upstairs. We currently are just using a Google Home in our kitchen. I'm looking at some bookshelf speakers that I'll mount on stands to put in the living room area that is open to the kitchen. They will be used 90% music / 10% movies for the flat screen. I want to hook up a Chromecast Audio as the source. I went and demo'd some Kef LS50 wireless speakers a couple of days ago and while they sounded good I don't think I want to spend that much. If I had been in awe of the performance I would have bought them. They had great clarity but could have had more base and for that kind of money I wanted to be in tears.

I think I've narrowed the decision down to 4 options:

1: Philharmonic AA w/ Onkyo A-9010
2: Kef X300a wireless
3: Airmotiva 6s
4: JBL LSR308

Thoughts? Suggestions? Thanks in advance
I have no experience with the speakers in question but I know many reviewers noted the emotiva speakers had pretty narrow horizontal dispersion, making placement touchy. Unless you plan on listening to music directly in the sweet spot all the time, that might be an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I have no experience with the speakers in question but I know many reviewers noted the emotiva speakers had pretty narrow horizontal dispersion, making placement touchy. Unless you plan on listening to music directly in the sweet spot all the time, that might be an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The design of the 6s doesn't suggest that they would have unusually narrow dispersion. I wouldn't put too much stock in those observations unless they can produce measurements.

J

Jeremy257

Enthusiast
Thanks for the responses folks. I listened to a lot of speakers over the weekend. I ended up going passive and purchased the Revel Concerta2 bookshelves. It was neck and neck with the SVS Ultras. I went with the Revels in the end but the they sounded really great to me.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
The AAs are fantastic in that group, especially if you don't plan on a sub. I have not heard the JBLs, but I'd say they are also going to be a solid choice given the praise they get here too.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Thanks for the responses folks. I listened to a lot of speakers over the weekend. I ended up going passive and purchased the Revel Concerta2 bookshelves. It was neck and neck with the SVS Ultras. I went with the Revels in the end but the they sounded really great to me.
Revel Concertos are terrific speakers for the price. Very well rounded design with superb engineering.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis