Star Drek:Discovery

Stanton

Stanton

Audioholics Contributing Writer
Agree with many of these comments (and I watched *most* of the first episode on network TV). CBS has over-promised and under-delivered...and I didn't spend $$$ on my home theater to stream (pseudo) HD in 2-channel stereo. No way I will pay to watch a season of ~15 episodes...and spread out at that.

A

andyblackcat

Audioholic General
I don't mind F swearing but not in STAR TREK. Get this show canned and off the air!

Gene Roddenberry is rolling around in his grave.
RIP STAR TREK

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
I don't mind F swearing but not in STAR TREK. Get this show canned and off the air!

Gene Roddenberry is rolling around in his grave.
RIP STAR TREK
F bombs are the least of the problems with this show starting with its abbreviated title of STD ;)

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I shall wait for the used DVD to become available on e-bay.
Based on the (negative) resounding responses here, I wouldn't even want a free copy of a brand new blu-ray.

I get the faint feeling the only way I will ever like a Star Trek show is if a network like HBO, Showtime, Cinemax, STARZ, AMC, HULU, or Amazon took over. I have very little faith in CBS, ABC, NBC, FOX, etc.

Last edited:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I haven't watched past the first 2 episodes. I did not immediately feel like "ohhh, this is gonna be good". I'm not buying a service for 1 show that's broken. Even the audio is sub par. I might watch it on Nutflex or something next year.

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
Based on the negative resounding responses here, I wouldn't even want a free copy of a brand new blu-ray.

I get the faint feeling the only way I will ever like a Star Trek show is if a network like HBO, Showtime, Cinemax, STARZ, AMC, HULU, or Amazon took over. I have very little faith in CBS, ABC, NBC, FOX, etc.
Don't let these guys discourage you from checking it out. Consider the first two episodes as a prequel with the third episode as episode 1, and it's more enjoyable. Indeed, it might be helpful to start with episode 3, saving episodes 1 and 2 for interesting back story later. After watching Episode 5, it seems to me that the show is slipping into a more familiar Star Trek episodic rhythm. And so far, there's no Lwaxana Troi, no whiny Wesley Crusher, no bratty Alexander Rozhenko, no irritating banter between Rom and Quark, no Neelix, or any other characters I'd like to punch in their stupid faces. I like it. It has the hallmark elements of Star Trek: pride in duty, sanctimonious command structure, empathy with lower life forms, irrational self-sacrifice, science nerds becoming battle heroes.... The only thing missing at this point is the Prime Directive, but the Klingon War so far hasn't created a lot of opportunities for exploration. I've read the Klingon War will be over by the end of the first season, though, so there's still time for the crew to go boldly where no man has gone before -- possibly without needing to split any infinitives this time.

Last edited:
BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Don't let these guys discourage you from checking it out. Consider the first two episodes as a prequel with the third episode as episode 1, and it's more enjoyable. Indeed, it might be helpful to start with episode 3, saving episodes 1 and 2 for interesting back story later. After watching Episode 5, it seems to me that the show is slipping into a more familiar Star Trek episodic rhythm. And so far, there's no Lwaxana Troi, no whiny Wesley Crusher, no bratty Alexander Rozhenko, no irritating banter between Rom and Quark, no Neelix, or any other characters I'd like to punch in their stupid faces. I like it. It has the hallmark elements of Star Trek: pride in duty, sanctimonious command structure, empathy with lower life forms, irrational self-sacrifice, science nerds becoming battle heroes.... The only thing missing at this point is the Prime Directive, but the Klingon War so far hasn't created a lot of opportunities for exploration. I've read the Klingon War will be over by the end of the first season, though, so there's still time for the crew to go boldly where no man has gone before -- possibly without needing to split any infinitives this time.
Agreed. Starting of show is more of background. Ep3 was better than 1 and 2. The quality level of each episode varies (quite a lot) and Sylvia Tilly character is irritating as f to me. It seems like comedy relief, but always out of place and very awkward.
But overall Rojo isn't wrong, by ep5 STD starts to resemble ST business as usual.
Is it worth $6.99/month - f no!

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
Agreed. Starting of show is more of background. Ep3 was better than 1 and 2. The quality level of each episode varies (quite a lot) and Sylvia Tilly character is irritating as f to me. It seems like comedy relief, but always out of place and very awkward.
But overall Rojo isn't wrong, by ep5 STD starts to resemble ST business as usual.
I like her character. Yeah, she's awkward, but she's also the first major character with what seems to be high functioning autism. It's an interesting character study. Did you catch in ep. 3 when she mentioned her disability or condition or whatever she called it?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Is it going to be bad-guy-of-the-week episodes or one big continuous theme?

Last edited:
rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
Is it going to be bad-guy-of-the-week episodes or one big continuos theme?
Both, really. There is a clear progression from episode to episode along the arc of the season; but starting with episode 3, each episode has had its own smaller conundrum with a resolution by episode's end.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Both, really. There is a clear progression from episode to episode along the arc of the season; but starting with episode 3, each episode has had its own smaller conundrum with a resolution by episode's end.
I see. It has a big plot plus smaller subplot with it's own resolution for each episode.

It funny how my wife says she absolutely hates shows where they don't have any kind of resolution until the end of the season. She prefers the bad-guy-of-the-week type.

Yet, all her favorite shows are like Game of Throne, Homeland, Breaking Bad, Ray Donovan, Outlander, Halt and Catch Fire, The Crown, Victoria, etc., where they don't ever have a resolution until the end of the season or end of the series. :D

Last edited:
mtrycrafts

mtrycrafts

Seriously, I have no life.

Yet, all her favorite shows are like ..., Outlander, .... :D
She'l have a long wait for a resolution, dying of old age. :D

ps. I may have to subscribe to STARZ soon instead at end of season; the other half just cannot wait that long. ;)

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I like her character. Yeah, she's awkward, but she's also the first major character with what seems to be high functioning autism. It's an interesting character study. Did you catch in ep. 3 when she mentioned her disability or condition or whatever she called it?
Vaguely. I'll re-watch it, but this doesn't change my opinion really.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Well I've watched the first 2 episodes and now everyone is saying that 3 is where it starts getting pretty good. o_O

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
I have to concur that the show quality has improved since episode 3 and there are no real annoying characters like the ones you mentioned from prior shows. There is some sloppy writing that I do my best to look past but overall it's entertaining (sans the Klingon subtitles which have diminshed considerably in the last 2 episodes). They even started to have somewhat normal looking Klingon ships as of late. The spore drive thing is a mixed coctail of ridiculousness and interesting. I will keep watching but it's hard for my wife to maintain interest in this show. She prefers the more optomistic view and less dark tones of pre 2009 Trek. Luckily, we've got The Orville to balance things out ;)

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
I'd prefer a Ferengi over her to be honest ;)

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
I have to concur that the show quality has improved since episode 3 and there are no real annoying characters like the ones you mentioned from prior shows. There is some sloppy writing that I do my best to look past but overall it's entertaining (sans the Klingon subtitles which have diminshed considerably in the last 2 episodes). They even started to have somewhat normal looking Klingon ships as of late. The spore drive thing is a mixed coctail of ridiculousness and interesting. I will keep watching but it's hard for my wife to maintain interest in this show. She prefers the more optomistic view and less dark tones of pre 2009 Trek. Luckily, we've got The Orville to balance things out ;)
By dark tone, do you mean the crew's harsh treatment of Michael, or the heavy shadows and cinematic lighting?

Re: lighting, I felt the same way about some of the pre-Michael Bay Star Trek movies. Remember in First Contact when Picard is sitting alone in the dark playing Candy Crush on his Kindle, shortly before going all Captain Ahab on his model ship? And in Generations, Ten Forward was a dimly lit storm cellar. In Undiscovered Country, Sulu is captain of a warehouse. Actually, none of the movies as far as I remember are as evenly illuminated as the sets on their corresponding television series. The lighting is a big part of what makes ST:D feel wrong I think. If it were illuminated as brightly and evenly as the Enterprise on ST:TNG it would feel more like Star Trek. As it is, it's easy to associate ST:D more closely with Battlestar Galactica from the feel of the sets.

Re: Michael's scarlet letter M, yeah, I'm a little over that as well.

She's saved the crew's bacon many times, but all she is to everyone who isn't Tilly or Lorca is a mutineer. If she were a Xindi and murdered 7 million people including Trip's sister, even Trip would've forgiven her by now. The writing regarding the crew's regard for Michael seems flat, lacking any sort of progression. And it makes no sense that she wouldn't explain her actions at her court martial. That part feels contrived and lazy. When has a Vulcan or half-Vulcan or anyone raised on Vulcan ever passed up the opportunity to demonstrate superior knowledge? That's never happened.

By the way, I'm almost finished with Season 3 of Enterprise. Thanks for the suggestion. Damn good series so far.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
By dark tone, do you mean the crew's harsh treatment of Michael, or the heavy shadows and cinematic lighting?

Re: lighting, I felt the same way about some of the pre-Michael Bay Star Trek movies. Remember in First Contact when Picard is sitting alone in the dark playing Candy Crush on his Kindle, shortly before going all Captain Ahab on his model ship? And in Generations, Ten Forward was a dimly lit storm cellar. In Undiscovered Country, Sulu is captain of a warehouse. Actually, none of the movies as far as I remember are as evenly illuminated as the sets on their corresponding television series. The lighting is a big part of what makes ST:D feel wrong I think. If it were illuminated as brightly and evenly as the Enterprise on ST:TNG it would feel more like Star Trek. As it is, it's easy to associate ST:D more closely with Battlestar Galactica from the feel of the sets.

Re: Michael's scarlet letter M, yeah, I'm a little over that as well.

She's saved the crew's bacon many times, but all she is to everyone who isn't Tilly or Lorca is a mutineer. If she were a Xindi and murdered 7 million people including Trip's sister, even Trip would've forgiven her by now. The writing regarding the crew's regard for Michael seems flat, lacking any sort of progression. And it makes no sense that she wouldn't explain her actions at her court martial. That part feels contrived and lazy. When has a Vulcan or half-Vulcan or anyone raised on Vulcan ever passed up the opportunity to demonstrate superior knowledge? That's never happened.

By the way, I'm almost finished with Season 3 of Enterprise. Thanks for the suggestion. Damn good series so far.
Agreed the lighting in the show is terrible. I almost want to crank my brightness up on my display when watching it. I also can't stand modern CGI effects. The ships are unremarkable and during battles things happens so quickly and are so busy, you can't follow what's going on. Same crap as the JJ Trek and Star Wars movie as well as most of the modern superhero movies and Transformers. Can someone explain why alien ships in ALL these movies/shows use the same sharp organic metal and the aliens are hairless and usually have tatooed faces?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis