Any agreement on the BEST 5” and 61/2”woofer?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
You have to add further criteria in that question. Best at what exactly? There are different 5s and 6s made for different applications. They aren't all trying to do the same thing.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Which one and why?
That is a really stupid question. You choose drivers by application. The right question is which is the optimal driver for X application. In addition you never select a driver in isolation, you have to select drivers that can work together. Careful driver selection is one of the most difficult and important aspects of speaker design.

D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General
Which one and why?
I'll split the difference and put in a plug for one of the most flexible units out there--it's a 6" woof. The Seas U16. It's capable of surprisingly deep bass response while at the same time offering extremely smooth response up to and beyond any likely crossover point. It's not cheap, but it's not expensive either. Obviously other woofers might be better for a specific application, but since you didn't specify any applications, I'll just throw this one out as an all-around performer.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
To that I will add that the 6" beryllium mid-range driver that Paradigm uses in their Persona speakers is just amazing. Yeah, it is probably hugely expensive, but good lord does it sound good. The best mids I have heard yet. That same driver is used throughout all of the Persona speakers, and that entire product line is pretty much based on it- for good reason.

Good4it

Good4it

Audioholic Chief
I'll split the difference and put in a plug for one of the most flexible units out there--it's a 6" woof. The Seas U16. It's capable of surprisingly deep bass response while at the same time offering extremely smooth response up to and beyond any likely crossover point. It's not cheap, but it's not expensive either. Obviously other woofers might be better for a specific application, but since you didn't specify any applications, I'll just throw this one out as an all-around performer.

Thanks Dennis

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
To that I will add that the 6" beryllium mid-range driver that Paradigm uses in their Persona speakers is just amazing. Yeah, it is probably hugely expensive, but good lord does it sound good. The best mids I have heard yet. That same driver is used throughout all of the Persona speakers, and that entire product line is pretty much based on it- for good reason.
The OP is rather looking for a woofer or a mid-woofer. I once used Morel CAW638 drivers which performed very well in a MTM arrangement with a ribbon tweeter. But I was dissatisfied with their quality control as the rubber surround got unglued on one pair.

Cheers,

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis