Wharfedale Speakers Now @ Crutchfield!

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
@speakerman39
@MrBoat

My 2 cents on laptop vs desktop PCs.

Personally, I prefer the laptop form factor for working and browsing.

A trackball mouse really helps for laptop use too. It takes less real estate than a mouse and works on any surface, I use a wireless trackball.

Then, for most laptops, you can get an optional docking station. The dock stays permanently hooked to monitor, keyboard, mouse at your desk. Then, you just pop in your laptop and you immediately have the PC form factor. That's really the best of both worlds, gives the flexibility for whatever you need/want at any given time.

I have a tower PC that I built that is basically my server, but it is also connected into my main HT rig.

Of course, the big advantage of a desktop is the ease of speccing and building a PC from scratch, can't really do that with a laptop.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
@speakerman39
@MrBoat

A trackball mouse really helps for laptop use too. It takes less real estate than a mouse and works on any surface, I use a wireless trackball.

Then, for most laptops, you can get an optional docking station. The dock stays permanently hooked to monitor, keyboard, mouse at your desk. Then, you just pop in your laptop and you immediately have the PC form factor. That's really the best of both worlds, gives the flexibility for whatever you need/want at any given time.

I have a tower PC that I built that is basically my server, but it is also connected into my main HT rig.

Of course, the big advantage of a desktop is the ease of speccing and building a PC from scratch, can't really do that with a laptop.
I have a few good friends that also prefer laptops to desktops. But, the laptops are just not for me. Very happy with my desktop. Looking to enhance the audio side of scale. That is exactly where my focus is going to be. Well, as soon as my budget allows. :):):)

Cheers,

Phil

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
@speakerman39
@MrBoat

I've tried to like laptops. I have one. By the time I add a full multimedia keybrd, 24" monitor, mouse, I am essentially at a desktop with a laptop for a tower. The desk I have has a cubby for the tower. I do like the ease of just popping the cover off to get at the insides for upgrades or even total rebuilds.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
Like you, I do not care for laptops either. Never have. Bought me a tablet or two and both did nothing but collect dust. Honestly, that is why I do not have a smart phone. Why would I? All it would do most of the time is collect dust. Just a waste of my money imho.

You know part of my plans, so here goes the rest of them. Very soon I hope to get this computer desk:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Z-Line-Designs-Cherry-Workstations-ZL2200-01WSU/203488837

Seen this actually go for as low as $107 w/free shipping! When I catch it a bit cheaper than $131, I will order it. The top shelf is 49" wide. I plan to put my 24" desktop monitor in the middle and my Diamond 220's on each side of my monitor. Then, my 2nd set of bookshelfs will be on stands angled in on each corner towards my seating position. Going to order a 2nd set of Mo-Pads as well.

The Outlaw 2160 has both an A or B speaker output. Plenty of power and lots of features. Can even connect my desktop directly to the 2160 via USB. If I get to move to where I hope, my new place will be a bit bigger than where I am now. The Z-Line Cyrus Workstation is a bit large. Using (2) sets of bookshelfs with one set on stands will also add to the space/room needed. Might wait until I get moved before buying the Z-Line desk though.

Not even concerned about my TV sound anymore. Hope to buy a soundbar ONLY to enhance the dialogue to the point that I can hear it better. Really don't watch that much TV to warrant anything above and beyond that. If I can hear the dialogue better, then I would have achieved my goal. Looking at the Vizio soundbars as we speak. Not going to spend very much on a soundbar/soundbase. Just no need for it.

If I opt for the studio monitor route again, then I will only use that one set. As mentioned, the Focal Alpha 65's are of high contention:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Alpha65

Also considering these although they are a bit more:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SceptreS6

Keep in mind, it is doubtful that I will go the studio monitor route again. Just leaving it as an option for me and my needs. The JBL 305's sounded fantastic too when I had them. Not to mention, they are much more affordable. It just all depends on my funds, the deal, and more importantly, my health. :):):)

Cheers,

Phil
I think if most people started here with a near field option, they might not invest in a full size system for music unless they entertain a lot. These systems provide a really good and efficient option for a multiple of listening styles such as old school stereo and beyond, and it's essentially foolproof. For starters, it can likely first, put you between your system and things like room modes before they occur. I know there is more to it than that but it's a good place to start.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
I think if most people started here with a near field option, they might not invest in a full size system for music unless they entertain a lot. These systems provide a really good and efficient option for a multiple of listening styles such as old school stereo and beyond, and it's essentially foolproof. For starters, it can likely first, put you between your system and things like room modes before they occur. I know there is more to it than that but it's a good place to start.
Yes, I am seriously thinking about going back to near-field studio monitors. But, I am also thinking about my Wharfies. I will get it all sorted out when the time comes. Really in no hurry here. As mentioned, going back to the 305's will yield excellent results as well while costing me less. Appreciate the insights. :):):)

Cheers,

Phil

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
Yes, I am seriously thinking about going back to near-field studio monitors. But, I am also thinking about my Wharfies. I will get it all sorted out when the time comes. Really in no hurry here. As mentioned, going back to the 305's will yield excellent results as well while costing me less. Appreciate the insights. :):):)

Cheers,

Phil
Well it doesn't have to be studio monitors. Another option is full range or coaxial speakers with a sub. Not a sub for heavy theater effects or to get you in trouble, but just to help with the low range. Some of the best sounding desktop speakers I have heard for size and price have been with full range drivers. A friend of mine has a couple pairs of Dayton full range drivers in an open baffle and I don't even think he has any crossovers on them, other than a DSP for the subwoofer. The subwoofer is kind of small as well. I swear he said he has the sub covering up to 120 hz and it fires right under his desk.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Well it doesn't have to be studio monitors. Another option is full range or coaxial speakers with a sub. Not a sub for heavy theater effects or to get you in trouble, but just to help with the low range. Some of the best sounding desktop speakers I have heard for size and price have been with full range drivers. A friend of mine has a couple pairs of Dayton full range drivers in an open baffle and I don't even think he has any crossovers on them, other than a DSP for the subwoofer. The subwoofer is kind of small as well. I swear he said he has the sub covering up to 120 hz and it fires right under his desk.
There is ONLY one brand of speakers that use a co-axial driver that is said to be perfect for near-field use that I am considering. That is KEF. More specifically, I am considering the new Q150's. Amazon has them at $550 a set right now as we speak. Have read that they are greatly improved over the previous Q100 design. My concern is low end extension and brightness. Most describe them as being neutral, but some have claimed that they are bit bright.

http://us.kef.com/q150

As you well know I have grown very fond of a warmer sound signature. Not really too interested in going back the other way. Nothing wrong w/neutrality per se, but a warmer sound signature excels with vocals inmho. Being a music guy that is rather significant to me. Especially, by drawing me into the music more. Pink Floyd is the perfect example. Could listen to them for hours on end and never once get fatigued. Furthermore, female vocalists really shine like Lorde for example.

I am not anti-sub by any stretch of the imagination. But, living in an apartment has its limitations. Right now, I can not afford to own/rent a house. My health is also creating lots of problems as well. Have pinched nerves in my neck and just can not lug a lot of gear around anymore. Therefore, I am scaling back and simplifying my setup centered around my desktop. The reason being that is where I listen to most all of my music now. It is the music that matters most of all to me. Well, that and my Kentucky Basketball. Go Big Blue! :):):)

Cheers,

Phil

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
There is ONLY one brand of speakers that use a co-axial driver that is said to be perfect for near-field use that I am considering. That is KEF. More specifically, I am considering the new Q150's. Amazon has them at $550 a set right now as we speak. Have read that they are greatly improved over the previous Q100 design. My concern is low end extension and brightness. Most describe them as being neutral, but some have claimed that they are bit bright.

http://us.kef.com/q150

As you well know I have grown very fond of a warmer sound signature. Not really too interested in going back the other way. Nothing wrong w/neutrality per se, but a warmer sound signature excels with vocals inmho. Being a music guy that is rather significant to me. Especially, by drawing me into the music more. Pink Floyd is the perfect example. Could listen to them for hours on end and never once get fatigued. Furthermore, female vocalists really shine like Lorde for example.

I am not anti-sub by any stretch of the imagination. But, living in an apartment has its limitations. Right now, I can not afford to own/rent a house. My health is also creating lots of problems as well. Have pinched nerves in my neck and just can not lug a lot of gear around anymore. Therefore, I am scaling back and simplifying my setup centered around my desktop. The reason being that is where I listen to most all of my music now. It is the music that matters most of all to me. Well, that and my Kentucky Basketball. Go Big Blue! :):):)

Cheers,

Phil
Understood. Just bouncing ideas being I am messing with near field as well as my larger system and combinations/comparisons back and forth. I also have a pair of full range drivers (Need two more and some tweets to implement tlsguy's design) and is likely my next step of discovery.

Only reason I mention it is, I see you have tried some different speakers. As far as vocals and midrange, I think (IIRC) is where the full rangers really shine, and with less complicated music. I may just have to get some plywood and build some of the simple BR cabs for full range just to see if I can tell the potential of this direction.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Understood. Just bouncing ideas being I am messing with near field as well as my larger system and combinations/comparisons back and forth. I also have a pair of full range drivers (Need two more and some tweets to implement tlsguy's design) and is likely my next step of discovery.

Only reason I mention it is, I see you have tried some different speakers. As far as vocals and midrange, I think (IIRC) is where the full rangers really shine, and with less complicated music. I may just have to get some plywood and build some of the simple BR cabs for full range just to see if I can tell the potential of this direction.
There is no doubt that you have skills. Your interests seem to be in building whereas mine are more with design. More specifically, I find X-over design and integration fascinating. Been reading up on X-over design. However, to be honest much of it is way over my head. But, hey I am trying. Just wished I had your building skills. Good luck with your full-range driver project. Looking forward to seeing how it turns out.

Cheers,

Phil

Good4it

Good4it

Audioholic Chief
Just wondering Phil, which bookshelf’s do you have? Which pair sounds best to you?

What are you using for a amp.?

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Just wondering Phil, which bookshelf’s do you have? Which pair sounds best to you?

What are you using for a amp.?
I have (3) sets of stand-mounted speakers. That being the B&W CM1 S1's, the Wharfedale Denton 80th Anniversary, and the Wharfedale Diamond 220's. Running all (3) sets full-range to my ears the Dentons sound the best, but are a bit bass shy. There is not a lot of extension there. However, what is there is a bit more linear than the 220's.

The B&W CM1's have a more lushy/richer sound to them. The low end is much more extended than either the Dentons or the 220's. In fact, it almost sounds as though a sub is playing at times whereas that is NOT the case w/the Wharfies.

The 220's give more of a balance albeit low end extension and some warmth in the mids/highs. The 220's are NOT quite as warm as the Dentons, but give up some of that to offer more low end extension. That is to say, the 220's are perhaps in the middle of being warm and neutral if you will. Both offer excellent detail. However, mated to a capable sub the Dentons are on another level.

I am powering my stand-mounts w/a Cambridge SR 20 Stereo receiver. Have decided to scale back and simplify my setup centered around my desktop. As such, the B&W CM 1 S1's and /or the Dentons are up for sale.

If I was going to use a powered sub, then the Dentons would easily win out. The CM1's certainly do NOT need a sub. The 220's can get by w/o a sub as well. I just prefer the warmth of the 220's to the lushiness of CM1's. All (3) are excellent speakers in their own right. However, when it comes to detail/resolution the CM1's are in their element as compared to the Wharfies. :):):)

Cheers,

Phil

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
I notice that Crutchfield now offers KEF. I've got a desire to rebuild the low-budget system I had put in my spare bedroom but gifted to my daughter and her boyfriend when he bought a house a few months ago.

The new Q350's are high on my short list for price-performance value. Combined with NAD amp, they are anything but bright, and I've auditioned the Q350 & NAD C368 at my dealer's place. A much overused term, but that combo hit far above it's weight class.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
I'm glad Crutchfield offers higher end and even high end equipment now. A trusted name to buy quality audio on the internet with incredible customer service. It's a very good thing.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
I notice that Crutchfield now offers KEF. I've got a desire to rebuild the low-budget system I had put in my spare bedroom but gifted to my daughter and her boyfriend when he bought a house a few months ago.

The new Q350's are high on my short list for price-performance value. Combined with NAD amp, they are anything but bright, and I've auditioned the Q350 & NAD C368 at my dealer's place. A much overused term, but that combo hit far above it's weight class.
Ken, been aiming to get in touch with you. Just out of curiosity have you heard the new Q150's? If so, how is the low end? Can they be used w/o a need for a sub in 2.0? How much more low end does the Q350's add as compared to the Q150's? Been reading a lot of good things about the new Q Series from KEF. Figured you would know. Appreciate any info you care to ad. Thanks!

Cheers,

Phil

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
Hi Phil,

I regret to say I haven't heard the new Q150 yet, only held one in my hands in the month before they were announced while at a dealer event. KEF's "Brand Ambassador" Johan Coorg was there and showed it to me.

Recently however I went back to the dealer and sat for a good listening session with the now-released Q350. They were fed by an NAD C338 Digital Hybrid integrated playing from a Bluesound Node 2 streaming Tidal HiFi. Having experience with the Q300's that my son owns and I gifted a pair to my brother...these are remarkably better. The high frequencies are just plain higher clearer without ever getting harsh. The mids are still about the same, mid-bass too. With the port now being on the rear, they do seem to go deeper though placement with some distance from the rear boundary (12 to 18 inches seems ideal) becomes more important.

I can't say whether they need a sub for you or not. As far as I'm concerned, all but the biggest baddest floorstanding speakers need one. ;)

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Hi Phil,

I regret to say I haven't heard the new Q150 yet, only held one in my hands in the month before they were announced while at a dealer event. KEF's "Brand Ambassador" Johan Coorg was there and showed it to me.

Recently however I went back to the dealer and sat for a good listening session with the now-released Q350. They were fed by an NAD C338 Digital Hybrid integrated playing from a Bluesound Node 2 streaming Tidal HiFi. Having experience with the Q300's that my son owns and I gifted a pair to my brother...these are remarkably better. The high frequencies are just plain higher clearer without ever getting harsh. The mids are still about the same, mid-bass too. With the port now being on the rear, they do seem to go deeper though placement with some distance from the rear boundary (12 to 18 inches seems ideal) becomes more important.

I can't say whether they need a sub for you or not. As far as I'm concerned, all but the biggest baddest floorstanding speakers need one. ;)
Ken, I am very interested in both the Q150's and/or the Q350's. I also love the NAD amps. However, money is very tight right now and don't see anything easing up anytime soon. That being said, it will be a while before I make some changes. Have my eye on the Outlaw 2160 as well. However, I will not be using a sub. As such, need something that offers decent extension for my music needs. Will use them near-field w/my desktop only. Thanks for the info! :):):)

Cheers,

Phil

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
Nah, if you want the most bass out of a small box without a sub, get Totem Sky or Signature One. Of all I've heard in small speakers, Totem remains the one that can eke out the most bass (and NOT in a flatulent way) from the smallest cabinets.

haraldo

haraldo

Audioholic Warlord
Yes, they are very nice speakers. Love my 220's and/or my Dentons. Just noticed that Crutchfield is not selling the Wharfedale subs though. Guess there is too much competition in the under $500 price range for them to sell the Wharfedale subs. Or, perhaps they will be offered soon. No biggie to me either way b/c a powered sub)s) is NOT in my plans. :):):)

Cheers,

Phil
You are really having Denton's.... thought about these guys, I really do live small bookshelf's....

Haha, from previous conversations, you do know that I have a lot of free time.... so I do have time to audition speakers now :p

And I am travelling a lot to UK now, so I could get the Denton's easily :p

Last edited:
speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
You are really having Denton's.... thought about these guys, I really do live small bookshelf's....

Haha, from previous conversations, you do know that I have a lot of free time.... so I do have time to audition speakers now :p

And I am travelling a lot to UK now, so I could get the Denton's easily :p
You would not regret getting a set of the Dentons. Just be sure to mate them to a capable sub. Also, keep in mind that the all new Diamond "11 Series" is being sold now in the European markets. Sadly, the 11 Series will not be coming to the USA anytime soon. In fact, there are no plans at all to do so. However, I still like my Diamond 220's. Hope you are doing well Harold.

Cheers,

Phil

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis