Infinity 3000's are dead.

B

Back to Analog

Audiophyte
Hey all, new to this site, and am in need of help. I am old school, integrated amp, Philips tt etc... My old 3000's need to be replaced. It appears that there are no bookshelf or floor standing speakers left that use 12" drivers? All are towers with subs etc... I don't want to go that route. What to do with my speakers? Can/should I replace the drivers and crossovers and expect them to sound good? IE: I'm sure Infinity tuned these speakers for the components. I see the Polk Audio towers with 6" drivers. Do they have low end punch, or do they need the help of a sub? Yeah, as you can see, I have been out of it for quite a while! UGH! Please bring me up to speed.

Thanks, John

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Is just the surrounds that are shot? Depending, there are refoam kits, if not do you a budget for new speakers?

B

Back to Analog

Audiophyte
Not the foam, they say all of the drivers are old and worn out? They distort at higher volumes. $1500 perhaps for a budget. I really like big ass speakers with some serious punch.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Not the foam, they say all of the drivers are old and worn out? They distort at higher volumes. $1500 perhaps for a budget. I really like big ass speakers with some serious punch.
Might look for a pair of JBL 590s, very happy with mine. Cerwin Vega still has 12" drivers if you really want, and they may even have some 15" and am sure there are others...maybe Klipsch heritage or Pi, maybe a diy kit from diysoundgroup.com....

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
You can certainly get speakers that play lower and cleaner for $1500. No need for 12" woofers in a properly designed cabinet.

B

Back to Analog

Audiophyte
So what does everybody use for speakers these days?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
First question is speakers to do what? %movies/tv vs. %music? $1500 is a good budget and you won't miss the 12" drivers, though if you are a basshead then you'll need to factor a sub into that budget and you'd still be OK.

B

Back to Analog

Audiophyte
First question is speakers to do what? %movies/tv vs. %music? $1500 is a good budget and you won't miss the 12" drivers, though if you are a basshead then you'll need to factor a sub into that budget and you'd still be OK.
Just plain old rock. 60-70's and some newer stuff for my wife. Nothing fancy.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
The JBL 590's should work for you -- and the bass will go low in your room.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis