Wanting to gain SACD capabilities?? Best way...

J

Jeff R.

Audioholic General
So I want to begin having SACD playback capability on my 3.2 system which is the system I do all critical listening on. See my Sig... I am wanting to go the universal player route. I am not going to use any analog outs and simply connect via HDMI. If this is my plan what do I go after for the best sound quality will it even matter. I do want to have my universal player provide blu-ray/4k capability...

Open to suggestions...Thanks everyone...

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
If you want new toy, here you go:
https://www.ebay.com/p/Sony-Bdp-s6700-4k-Upscaling-3d-Streaming-Blu-ray-Disc-Player/1963026541?iid=322613378389
Both the Sony BD and your AVR support the required DSD over HDMI technology so you would be fine connecting with simple hdmi cord.

But if you're serious about getting best sound, I think (based only on internet review below) you should look into upgrading main speakers in your Family Room.
https://www.stereophile.com/content/canton-vento-809-dc-loudspeaker-measurements
Since you're already own Dennis Murphy designed Carnegie speakers, introduction is unnecessary.
Just go to his site and do some window shopping or even better call him.
http://philharmonicaudio.com/

J

Jeff R.

Audioholic General
Thanks BSA, I will check that unit out. I am not planning on a speaker change. I just purchased the Cantons and could not be happier with my purchase thus far. I listened to everything in my area and rolled the dice on the cantons and have not a 1 complaint.

J

Jeff R.

Audioholic General
so, just to clarify...from an audio source standpoint, I do not gain anything by spending say $400 on a used OPPO with my current config and input choices....

Thanks

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
so, just to clarify...from an audio source standpoint, I do not gain anything by spending say $400 on a used OPPO with my current config and input choices....
Thanks
Well, if you have lots of CDs and you do enjoy the process of playing physical disk, then by all means get a transport. Like I said - look for DSD HDMI support. No all do.
As for sound quality improvements for SA-CD vs regular CD - let's just say they are dubious at best. It's much more depends on the original recording and your speakers.
check out this site for better recordings:
http://dr.loudness-war.info/
Higher the DR number - like better the recording.

Also good read here - https://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

I have these speakers at my office, positioned in nearly ideal way - away from any hard/reflective surfaces and far enough from walls.
https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/jbl-lsr-2300

I had DSD/DSF capable DAC at my disposal, this one - http://archimago.blogspot.com/2017/05/measurements-smsl-idea-usb-dac.html
I had installed all sorts of Foobar DSD plugins and made sure that they send a native DSD to DAC and not PCM.
I did sighted comparison between DSD (SA-CD format) and regular CD recording (as flac 16/44) and couldn't tell the difference between them.
This was music I used (not youtube source of course)

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I have a few Sony players capable of SACD, S5100 and S6700. If connecting via hdmi I think something like these are just fine.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord

Thanks
I have both an Oppo and a Sony BluRay (think it came out a year before the one BSA linked). Both sound great playing regular CDs or SACDs! (edited, I accidentally said BD's, but meant SACD's)
From an audio source standpoint, I have never been able to tell any difference. I do think the Oppo gains a bit from a video standpoint and the Oppo offers more "pride of ownership" because it is a slick piece of gear.
However, I have had my Sony for 5 years and it has not given so much as a hiccup - quiet transport and good streaming capabilities (as does the Oppo)!

On the topic of SACD's, unless you already have a collection, I just would not bother. As BSA mentioned, the quality of the recording, is what really matters and if you want to make a custom CD, you'll need to make sure your computer reads SACD, as well as forgetting and taking the SACD into the car or to an audio shop for a speaker audition. I can't quite call it a dead format, but I don't think many (if any) are making new recordings using the SACD format.

Last edited:
J

Jeff R.

Audioholic General
I have both an Oppo and a Sony BluRay (think it came out a year before the one BSA linked). Both sound great playing regular CDs or BDs!
From an audio source standpoint, I have never been able to tell any difference. I do think the Oppo gains a bit from a video standpoint and the Oppo offers more "pride of ownership" because it is a slick piece of gear.
However, I have had my Sony for 5 years and it has not given so much as a hiccup - quiet transport and good streaming capabilities (as does the Oppo)!

On the topic of SACD's, unless you already have a collection, I just would not bother. As BSA mentioned, the quality of the recording, is what really matters and if you want to make a custom CD, you'll need to make sure your computer reads SACD, as well as forgetting and taking the SACD into the car or to an audio shop for a speaker audition. I can't quite call it a dead format, but I don't think many (if any) are making new recordings using the SACD format.
Thanks KEW. Good info also. I think I am going to opt toward the Sony. I don't have SACD at all right now. So I may look at simply finding quality recoding formats and possibly trying find some well done live Blu-ray concerts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
As for sound quality improvements for SA-CD vs regular CD - let's just say they are dubious at best.
Agreed!

One of the other advantages/differences of SACD is the multi-channel audio. But, with only a 3.2 system, he pretty much loses that advantage too.

J

Jeff R.

Audioholic General
Yes. I do not anticipate the multi channel being used any time in the near future.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Yes. I do not anticipate the multi channel being used any time in the near future.

I currently own exactly 2 SACDs, and no player. I lost my player when I sold my original PS3 (not all PS3 models could play SACD). Honestly, the PS3 was ham-stringed for playing CD or SACD due to the high mechanical noise of the disc spinning! Marketing beats engineering yet again :mad:

Pink Floyd DSOTM is multi-channel SACD, and it is AWESOME!

My other SACD is Getz/Gilberto, and honestly my QRP 45RPM vinyl sounds better to my ears than the SACD.

J

Jeff R.

Audioholic General
I currently own exactly 2 SACDs, and no player. I lost my player when I sold my original PS3 (not all PS3 models could play SACD). Honestly, the PS3 was ham-stringed for playing CD or SACD due to the high mechanical noise of the disc spinning! Marketing beats engineering yet again :mad:

Pink Floyd DSOTM is multi-channel SACD, and it is AWESOME!

My other SACD is Getz/Gilberto, and honestly my QRP 45RPM vinyl sounds better to my ears than the SACD.
Thanks Slippery. If the Floyd SACD available as a live concert BLU-ray by chance?

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Thanks Slippery. If the Floyd SACD available as a live concert BLU-ray by chance?

Dunno, never looked for it. I only have a couple of BD concert discs, but the ones I have are pretty good!

I just play those on my XBox One

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Fair warning: I'd seriously take a look at the titles available before jumping head-long into SACD. Titles are expensive and far and few these days. They're still out there and some are not super expensive, but it is not the easiest format to find the titles most will enjoy and also many titles are out of print.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I gathered a few SACDs this year due to wanting to check out a few multi-ch mixes and was helped along when I found a balance I forgot about in my paypal account :) I wouldn't bother for just 2ch, it's the multi-ch that is/was interesting. AFAIK that Pink Floyd SACD multi-ch mix isn't offered on bluray. Really like the Brothers in Arms SACD multi-ch mix, too. For multi-ch mixes on other mediums look for things Steven Wilson has done for himself/Porcupine Tree as well as some others. Not sure I'd bother for a 3.2 setup, tho. Amazon and Discogs are decent places to hunt for SACD titles, new and used....

J

Jeff R.

Audioholic General
Thanks guys good feedback and likely saved some money thinking that if I bought SACD I would get higher sound quality than a CD.

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
So I want to begin having SACD playback capability on my 3.2 system which is the system I do all critical listening on. See my Sig... I am wanting to go the universal player route. I am not going to use any analog outs and simply connect via HDMI. If this is my plan what do I go after for the best sound quality will it even matter. I do want to have my universal player provide blu-ray/4k capability...

Open to suggestions...Thanks everyone...
I have the Oppo 205 and very pleased with it. For roughly 20 yrs I used a Rotel RDD980/RDP980 transport/dac unit...back in it's day it was a premium CD player...it still works to this day, but it was showing it's age in other areas, notably the transport drawer sticking.

I did quite a bit of A/B playback before I retired the Rotel...with redbook CDs, the Oppo has slightly more detail, and more bass than the Rotel...the more you played them the more subtle differences you pick up on with the Oppo...it should be I guess, but the Oppo was superior.

That said...the 205 had a few features stripped away (netflix, etc access) from the machine and put that money into audiophile grade improvements...the widely acclaimed analog DAC used both in the dedicated stero inputs and the 7.1 does give you several connection options.

The audio section also got an upgraded HDMI connection...jitter reduction and improved HDMI clock are supposed to deliver more accurate sound.

I've started building a SACD library and have tried maybe 3 different connections...I don't think any of them sound bad, but the dedicated 2 ch connection is my preferred connection now. HI Res digital and especially compressed mp3 files tend to sound better when I'm funnelling it thru the Oppo/Network via HDMI. Blu Ray concerts sound better HDMI...some older DVDs sound better using 7.1

I'm babbling here, but I do have a point... I've heard the 203 but have not done a proper A/B so I don't have that perspective....if you know analog connection will never mean anything to you...I would save the extra money and buy the Oppo 203 but when you say "best sound quality" I think you're leaving something on the table with the 203....how much? idk

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks guys good feedback and likely saved some money thinking that if I bought SACD I would get higher sound quality than a CD.

In the sense that some releases were carefully mixed and mastered for the medium, perhaps. As usual, not so much the medium but how it's put there that counts. I do like them but as I said for the multi-ch mix, but I also collect DVD and Bluray discs for multi-ch mixes...

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis