"Demand Series" Speakers from Definitive Technology

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I just got an email from Deftech on their new "Demand Series" of speakers and thought I'd share.

747192128975_definitive_technology_demand_d11_audiophile_bookshelf_speaker_studio_009.png

I know Deftech has a pretty tough rap to beat, but I've had some good experiences with their speakers, despite bloated specs and claims. These have definitely piqued my interest and I'm sure that my local Best Buy Magnolia will have them available to demo.

Looks like they start at $499 for the D7 and top out at $999 for the D11. Style-isticly speaking, they're a pretty big departure from what you'd expect from Deftech. However, both the D11 and the D9 do have what you'd expect from Deftech in the form of their patented BDSS drivers, Al tweeters and passive radiators.

I'll make a trip across town to check 'em out when they're available. Anyone else curious? @Hetfield? *cough, cough*

Last edited:
H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
First of all what is with tapatalk? Sometimes it says failed to send message or you don't have permission to post to this thread. I just wrote a very long response and it won't post from Tepatalk and boy does the piss me off.
That out of the way I will rewrite what I wrote. Ooh that annoys me.
Yeah been talking about it for a few days on AVS. Don't like the prices, wasn't a fan of the look when I first saw them, but its growing on me. HATE that they are only sold in pairs. They are sold in pairs because of the design, one is left and one is right because of the offset tweeters. The fact they are sold this way makes them off my list because I like the same exact speaker for LCR and you can't do that now unless your willing to buy an extra speaker that you'll never use.
So I have mixed feelings here. I'll be very interested to see what people say coming out of CEDIA, reviews going forward on you tube, here at Audioholics of course too. Something tells me they sound great. One spec that was left out as of yesterday was weight. If they are 12 pounds I'll know the direction they went. Lighter to save money and sound be damned.

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Audioholic Field Marshall
Pass. Don't like those offset tweeters, and frequency response seems worse than their Studio Monitor 65. Or is 48hz-24khz better than 30hz-30khz? using specs on the D11 vs SM65. Their website doesn't say how much they weigh which might give an insight into cabinet construction, etc.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Pass. Don't like those offset tweeters, and frequency response seems worse than their Studio Monitor 65. Or is 48hz-24khz better than 30hz-30khz? using specs on the D11 vs SM65. Their website doesn't say how much they weigh which might give an insight into cabinet construction, etc.
Yes I agree with this. What is the weight and why is a secret at this point? They are gonna sell, people who want beauty over sound will buy them in droves. They ain't for me and it'll be time to move on when I want a change. PSA is just about the top of my list. Efficiency and sound quality, compression driver and 10 inch high efficiency woofer over looks.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

and the optional speaker stands only seem to be for the more expensive D9 & D11, why limit our mounting choices? DefTech seems to be out to lunch on this series.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
and the optional speaker stands only seem to be for the more expensive D9 & D11, why limit our mounting choices? DefTech seems to be out to lunch on this series.
Oh that I didn't even know about. Yeah well as I said its targeted toward a different audience or buyer I guess.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I think it's a safe bet that the 65's don't hit 30hz with any real authority. I'd guess they're closer in spec with the D11.

Of course now, this is where we run into trouble with Deftech. You just can't trust their specs. I'll wait for some 3rd party measurements.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
I think it's a safe bet that the 65's don't hit 30hz with any real authority. I'd guess they're closer in spec with the D11.

Of course now, this is where we run into trouble with Deftech. You just can't trust their specs. I'll wait for some 3rd party measurements.
Yes sir, that is all correct. I don't know why they do what they do with the specs. I can't wait to hear what people say coming out of CEDIA. Surprised there are no videos already actually.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Yes sir, that is all correct. I don't know why they do what they do with the specs.
That's actually not a tough one to answer. Marketing. If you bloat the specs a little you can get more sales with "better" specs.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
That's actually not a tough one to answer. Marketing. If you bloat the specs a little you can get more sales with "better" specs.
Yeah I guess so. I never buy speakers based on specs. Reviews, professional but more actual owners is what I put stock in. I pay attention to the word used to describe certain aspects of a speaker.

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Will have to listen to them to make a good assessment. However they do seem to be aimed at the first time pair of speakers buyer, $999.99 per PAIR looks less expensive to some than $499.99 EACH.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
I'm surprised there isn't more posts in this thread. Def Tech usually brings out the fans and haters.
We should get some video of these soon. Audioholics just had a preview video of CEDIA. I'm sure Marshall covered everything including these.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
They look interesting -- only time will tell

The best Definitive bookshelf speakers that I have owned was the Celsius, and it was about 11 inches deep -- and the tweeter was smooth -- they had some punch, however the bass did not hit 40hz :)
http://www.audiocircle.com/image.php?id=168384

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
They look interesting -- only time will tell

The best Definitive bookshelf speakers that I have owned was the Celsius, and it was about 11 inches deep -- and the tweeter was smooth -- they had some punch, however the bass did not hit 40hz :)
http://www.audiocircle.com/image.php?id=168384
Wow that was before my Def Tech time. I never heard of them actually. I'm gonna look them up now though.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Me too, het. My first experience with Deftech were their Promonitor 1000's. I liked them enough to go with the SM55's to replace my oooollld B&W speakers. I was pretty happy with them, but got a little more exposure to other brands thanks to this site. My son still has my old 55's and they sound really good in his room.

One could say that Deftech was my first taste of "next level" in sq. I'm an SVS convert now tho. They've helped me beat back the upgrade bug and sound amazing. Happy camper.

But yeah, Deftech has a place in my heart. When they're available I'll make a trip across town just to check them out.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Me too, het. My first experience with Deftech were their Promonitor 1000's. I liked them enough to go with the SM55's to replace my oooollld B&W speakers. I was pretty happy with them, but got a little more exposure to other brands thanks to this site. My son still has my old 55's and they sound really good in his room.

One could say that Deftech was my first taste of "next level" in sq. I'm an SVS convert now tho. They've helped me beat back the upgrade bug and sound amazing. Happy camper.

But yeah, Deftech has a place in my heart. When they're available I'll make a trip across town just to check them out.
Hmmm my first Def Tech speaker I ever bought which was my first taste of "high end" speakers or at least what I though "high end" is, was the Pro Tower 400's and let me tell they BLEW me away. I didn't know speaker could sound like that and incorporate a built in sub. I still remember my jaw dropping at the sound.
Now that was close to 20 years ago and my mistake was to stay with the same brand all the way till now. Not that DT is bad, but I should have ventured out by now which is why I am obsessed with PSA and have been checking out and reading everything I can on a bunch of different high end brands such as PSA, Ascend acoustics, Salk Sound, Aperion, RBH but PSA is just about top of my list for the future. I know people think I'm crazy, looking at different brands when my speakers are new and sound great to me.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis