Help which ht speaker

M

Mcpfeifernugen

Audiophyte
I am looking to upgrade my old infinty speakers that i have had for close to 15 years or more. I have a large open concept living room. I am looking at setting up a 3.1 or 3.2 system. What i would lke to do is get bookshelf speakers and center with a pair of decent subs. What i want to know is if svs ultras are worth the big price difference from the HTD level 3? I would like to keep the budget down so i need to either splurge and get the ultras and save for a sub later or get the HTD level 3 and a cheap set of subs or one nice sub.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
There are so many good options. I would throw into the mix the Definitive Technology Studio monitor 65. They are on sale right now with 200 bucks off.
Another speaker has caught my eye the Ascend acoustics CMT340s. They are supposed to get pretty awesome. Sorry I hate to most things up with other suggestions.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
What models were your old Infinity speakers? Why only the two choices you've stated, sounds like you've not tested either? Don't bother with cheap subs.

M

Mcpfeifernugen

Audiophyte
I have 2 IL-40s and an IL-25c. My budget is $1500.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

M

Mcpfeifernugen

Audiophyte
I got a set of ultras ordered to preview 2 bookselves and a center. I can send back if i find better options or dont like.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
If I was op, I'd keep the interludes as they are still great speakers and look for great sub or two

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
The new speakers sound more like a sideways move, I like this idea....
Just saying, to really upgrade from ILs, IMHO OP needs to bump the budget noticeably. At least to $2300 to go with Dennis's BMRs and center.
At $1500 I think new subs would provide biggest bang for the buck (literally) especially in larger,open concept room

M

Mcpfeifernugen

Audiophyte
Thanks for the help. Looks like i will be returning the ultras. Now the question becomes what sub or set of subs do you recommend staying with the same $1500 budget.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Ultras are capable speakers. Do enjoy the comparison. As for subs pair of hsu vtf-3 mk5 would be very hard to beat for performance/value

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Thanks for the help. Looks like i will be returning the ultras. Now the question becomes what sub or set of subs do you recommend staying with the same $1500 budget.

Listen to them first -- check them out and give them a shake-down -- it comes down to your ears.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi

Yeah not so fast, since you've already ordered them do the in-room test/comparison thing. Best way to go, better than "listening" in a showroom that ain't your room....

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
As to $1500 worth of subs...packages from SVS, Hsu and Rythmik come to mind (think PSA and some others a bit beyond budget)....

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis