2 Klipsch sets - is the performance worth the extra price?

3rdeye

Junior Audioholic
The difference between the packages are the 2 floor standing speakers and the sub

Klipsch R-26F system ($1,475 on sale from $1,575)

Speakers (model R-26)
frequency response 38Hz - 24kHz +/- 3dB
sensitivity 97dB@ 2.83V
cont/peak power 100W/400W

Sub ( model R-10SW)
frequency response 32Hz -120Hz +/- 3db
max acoustic output 112dB
amplifier power 150W/300W

Klipsch R-28F ($1,875)

Speakers (model R-28)
frequency response 35Hz - 24kHz +/- 3dB
sensitivity 98dB@ 2.83V
cont/peak power 150W/600W

Sub ( model R-12SW)
frequency response 29Hz -120Hz +/- 3db
max acoustic output 116dB
amplifier power 200W/400W

I know it's subjective, but is the price difference with the added performance? Never had a setup before so I have no idea how meaningful these spec differences are.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Whichever route you go, ditch the Klipsch subs, waste of money

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
What about the RF-82: Frequency response 33-24,000 Hz (±3dB) ?

3rdeye

Junior Audioholic
Whichever route you go, ditch the Klipsch subs, waste of money
So should I not even consider the set because of the sub? What do you think of the speakers?

3rdeye

Junior Audioholic
What about the RF-82: Frequency response 33-24,000 Hz (±3dB) ?
According to Klipsch, they don't have those anymore so I'd have to see if someone else had them. Don't mind looking for them but that means I have to buy everything separately and as long as they don't jack up the price because it's not bundled, I'd do it. What do you think?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
According to Klipsch, they don't have those anymore so I'd have to see if someone else had them. Don't mind looking for them but that means I have to buy everything separately and as long as they don't jack up the price because it's not bundled, I'd do it. What do you think?

Add each speaker price on Amazon Prime and see what it is.

You might be able to find them "LIKE NEW" or "VERY GOOD" condition for lower prices. You can always return them within 30 days if they don't meet expectations.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B0041GEZDM/ref=dp_olp_all_mbc?ie=UTF8&condition=all

RF-82 Like New = $323 x 2 = $646

RC-62 Very Good = $250

RB-51 New = $200

R-12SW new = $365

Total = $1,461 shipped Amazon Prime

Last edited:
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
The subs make either one of those not very attractive to me. Any reason you're focused on Klipsch?

3rdeye

Junior Audioholic
The subs make either one of those not very attractive to me. Any reason you're focused on Klipsch?
I'm new to home theater, and I was told that they might be a good starting point if I value quality sound. I'm not married to any brand - I just want the best quality given my price point.

Any recommendations?

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
So should I not even consider the set because of the sub? What do you think of the speakers?

Get the best speakers you can afford and that sound good to you. Don't worry about matching sub brand to speaker brand. I'm sure many here can recommend other speakers at the price point your looking at, but it all boils down to your preferred Sound. Try to listen to as many speakers as you can

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm new to home theater, and I was told that they might be a good starting point if I value quality sound. I'm not married to any brand - I just want the best quality given my price point.

Any recommendations?

Budget of 2k? Or a little less? You could stick with Klipsch, but I would definitely dump the subs. Some companies you can look at for good subwoofers are SVS, Hsu, Rythmik or PSA.

How far away will you be sitting from the speakers and how big is your room? This includes any open areas leading to other rooms. A subwoofer "sees" all the space it's open to (hallways, doorless rooms, kitchen, etc.) . When it comes to subs you need to pressurize the entire area.

What equipment do you have? A receiver, separates, or will you be looking for the electronics as well?

I personally own the Ultra line of speakers from SVS and subwoofers from Hsu. I absolutely love the sound I'm getting now.

3rdeye

Junior Audioholic
Budget of 2k? Or a little less? You could stick with Klipsch, but I would definitely dump the subs. Some companies you can look at for good subwoofers are SVS, Hsu, Rythmik or PSA.

How far away will you be sitting from the speakers and how big is your room? This includes any open areas leading to other rooms. A subwoofer "sees" all the space it's open to (hallways, doorless rooms, kitchen, etc.) . When it comes to subs you need to pressurize the entire area.

What equipment do you have? A receiver, separates, or will you be looking for the electronics as well?

I personally own the Ultra line of speakers from SVS and subwoofers from Hsu. I absolutely love the sound I'm getting now.
I'd go up to 2K if I needed to. I don't have an AVR yet but I'm trying to lock in the speakers.

I have nothing, man. I'm going to set up an are in the basement. Will need to have drywall put it because it's not finished. Nothing too fancy but I'm trying to upgrade from my home theater in a box which is nothing.

3rdeye

Junior Audioholic
Get the best speakers you can afford and that sound good to you. Don't worry about matching sub brand to speaker brand. I'm sure many here can recommend other speakers at the price point your looking at, but it all boils down to your preferred Sound. Try to listen to as many speakers as you can
I guess this is what I need help with then. The best speakers I can buy for five channel setup. Probably should have made that the thread instead of this but oh well. Any suggestions?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I guess this is what I need help with then. The best speakers I can buy for five channel setup. Probably should have made that the thread instead of this but oh well. Any suggestions?

5 channel changes the game significantly, unless your budget for right now just for subs and main speakers.

You could get a pair of SVS Ultra Bookshelf Speakers for $1000 (or even less in their outlet, scroll down), and a VTF-3 MK5 subwoofer for ~$875 shipped to get you started with a very nice 2.1 setup under 2k. If your budget is for all 5 speakers and a sub, your suggestions are going to change radically.

Also your room size will dictate your sub choices. You may need two 15" subs, or you may only need a good 12". Either way I recommend 2 subs, even if you add one later.

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Many options.

Besides the Klipsch, here is another one:

RBH R55Ti Front Towers, R56Ci Center, R5Bi Surrounds, I-12 Subwoofer for ~ $1,750.

3rdeye

Junior Audioholic
Many options.

Besides the Klipsch, here is another one:

RBH R55Ti Front Towers, R56Ci Center, R5Bi Surrounds, I-12 Subwoofer for ~ $1,750.
Thanks for this recommendation. As someone new to this, I haven't heard of them. How do you think these compare to the Klipsch that I was looking at?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Thanks for this recommendation. As someone new to this, I haven't heard of them. How do you think these compare to the Klipsch that I was looking at?

From what I gather (and have heard), with the exception of some of their higher end stuff, Klipsch is a bit of an acquired taste. You really should get out and try listening to any you can find in a local b&m store and see if you like their sound.

I've never heard the RBH setup ADTG suggested above, but I trust his opinions. That would definitely get you more for less. I'm very partial to SVS' Ultra speakers. I have 3 bookshelf speakers (1 is my center channel, 2 surrounds) and the Ultra towers up front. Before I got the towers I had the bookshelves up front and was very, very impressed with them. I only got the towers because the voice that won't stop bullied me into it. :p With a good sub, you'll get a great experience with the Ultra bookshelf speakers, though obviously cost is significantly more.

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall

There are a lot of speaker brands out there that are not as well known as Klipsch, but have good products...I have the R5Bi as surrounds in my system...I played them as mains for about a month...great performer for the money.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi

I think the RBH system is better, but I think you should listen to some Klipsch at Best Buy.

The RBH system does come with a 30-day in-home trial so you could return them if you are not satisfied.

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai

As someone who owns both the older reference II series and both the new premier and reference series, I'd go for the cheaper reference over the older series. The new series are significantly more accurate and don't suffer the piercing brightness of the older designs, in addition, the 90x90 modified tractrix horn is a major improvement over the previous 90x60 design, in addition to having a wider dispersion pattern vertically, the improved design gives wider coverage at higher frequencies, the old horn design shows a very steep roll off starting at around 8khz with as little as 15° off axis. The most recent design found in the newer series manages even coverage (-6dB) up to 14khz +-45° off axis.

While offering greater sensitivity than non horn loaded speakers, when compared alongside the reference II models, the reference and premier series aren't as efficient. It seems the horn was designed to function more as a waveguide, with acoustic loading being a secondary objective. Klipsch rates their sensitivity in a reverberant field (basically in room with reflections), and therefore, they're useless. Going based on sound and vision's reviews, their speakers are consistently rated about 3-4dB higher than an anechoic rating, so the R 260f is likely around 94dB.

Outside of the r-115sw, I would agree with other posters on the sub. There is nothing inherently wrong with Klipsch subwoofers from an accuracy or volume standpoint, but they generally have lousy -3dB extensions. There is no excuse for a 12" subwoofer to fail to reach at least 25hz, and for the price, you could get a much better sub.

The decision to purchase r-28f's over r-26f's depends entirely on the size of your room and how far away you sit. With klipsch, it does not take much speaker to fill a room with clean, undistorted sound. My room is 20'x12' and my listening position is 9.5' away. I had no trouble reaching reference levels without distortion using R-15m bookshelves.

Unless you have a huge dedicated theater with multiple rows and seats greater than 12' away, you'd be better off applying your budget to a pair of RP-160m bookshelves instead of the lower model reference floor models. The biggest sound quality differences between the reference and the premier series is across the bass and lower mids, where the woofer operates. The cerametallic woofers found in the premier series are much stiffer than the IMG woofers, and offer much lower distortion and better transient response at high levels. In addition, the tractrix port design is better at avoiding "chuffing", in the lower model reference series, port noise becomes a real problem below 80hz at high levels.

Ironically, the aluminum tweeter in the reference series measures slightly more accurate than the titanium in the premier series. The titanium tweeters display a 4dB spike at around 16khz, while the aluminum tweeters do not.

For a 5.1 setup, you could get a pair of RP-160ms on eBay open box for $400, an RP-450c for $450, and R-15ms for the surrounds for $200. With a $2k budget, that leaves about $950 for a sub. If you'd like to cut the cost down a bit more, rp-150ms can be had on eBay for $250, and an an rp-250c for $280. With the R-15ms that comes out to about $750. I believe an svs PB 2000 is about $700, which pretty much equals the same amount ($1450) you were going to spend on the r-26f system. Klipsch constantly runs stupidly low price sales, and people buy several sets and resell them on eBay for a discount after the sale, which is why they can be found cheaper when going that route.

Sent from my 5065N using Tapatalk

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis