Don't try this at home kids!

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
I was playing a game on my phone, and not paying attention and leaned on the remote to my Yamaha I'm using as my HT processor right now. Before I knew it the volume was at +16.5 which I think is the max. So the Parasound amp was really pushing out some watts for a second or two. Scared the crap out of me. I was afraid it damaged my Def Tech speakers but it sounds ok. Any tests I should do to make sure? Can doing what i did hurt or blow out speakers? Man that was scary! Oh i went into the Yamaha menu after that because it has a feature to limit the max volume, I set it at "0" even though I never set it near that high.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
If the speakers sound fine they're probably okay, try some test tone sweeps to see if anything sounds odd perhaps. I was going to suggest setting the max volume thing to prevent such accidents.....

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
If the speakers sound fine they're probably okay, try some test tone sweeps to see if anything sounds odd perhaps. I was going to suggest setting the max volume thing to prevent such accidents.....
Thanks for the reply. I will do some tests tomorrow with some Dolby DVDs I have. It sounds great but boy did that scare the crap out of me.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Oh hey wouldn't the tweeter be the first to get blown out?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Oh hey wouldn't the tweeter be the first to get blown out?

If you were to crank any typical content really hard, the tweeters will probably be the first to go. If you drive the amplifier into distortion, all the of distortion shifts the spectral balance to high frequencies, and the more distortion you get means more high frequency voltage. The tweeter is also the most fragile driver and has the lowest power handling ability.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
I'd think it'd be pretty obvious if the tweeter blew....
Yeah it sounds fine, sound great. I'm glad I changed the max setting but should have done that before and avoided this situation. Whew that could have ended bad.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Yeah it sounds fine, sound great. I'm glad I changed the max setting but should have done that before and avoided this situation. Whew that could have ended bad.

I have mine at 0. It's plenty loud and the system handles it comfortably. I'll bet you were shitting bricks when it happened, lol.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
@Hetfield

Seems like "no harm, no foul". I wouldn't worry about it too much.

I have done that many times, accidentally had the sound way too high when I swapped inputs or something similar, then had a loud burst of audio.

Scares the crap out of me every time. Now, when it also scares the crap out of the pets and/or the neighbors, that's next-level loud (done that by mistake too). Cats were not hanging around to see what that noise was! ;)

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I think plenty of us have done that. You tend to remember it and attempt to avoid it, yet still manage to do it now and again lol.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
I have mine at 0. It's plenty loud and the system handles it comfortably. I'll bet you were shitting bricks when it happened, lol.
I was totally, and completely shitting bricks, but I'm watching a movie now, kids movie for the kid and it sounds absolutely incredible. I love this system, and these speakers in particular. I just love it.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis