Why Brands Are Sold By The Pair Or Each?

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Audioholic Field Marshall
Why do some speaker brands sell "each" and others by "pair"?

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
That is a good question that I always wanted an answer too. I'll be interested to see what people in the know post.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Why do some speaker brands sell "each" and others by "pair"?
I think that some of it has to do with logistics. That is, when I owned a set of the Taylo Reference Monitors they arrived in (2) separate boxes. It was a good thing actually, as each Taylo weighed in at over 32 lbs. each NOT including the weight of the box. Imagine one box holding both Taylos the shipping weight would have been easily over 68 lbs. or so. Not to mention, the sheer size of the box. As such, a part of it has to do with boxing the product in such a way that minimizes anything going wrong. Of course, this is just a guess. But, I do think boxing and/or shipping plays a part even if it is a small one. :):):)

Cheers,

Phil

PS The Linbrooks being an MTM design were even BIGGER and heavier as well. As such, they came boxed individually too.

S

sterling shoote

My experience is better speakers and larger speakers are sold individually. This permits, of course, the purchase of three speakers for front center, left, and right arrangements.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
My experience is better speakers and larger speakers are sold individually. This permits, of course, the purchase of three speakers for front center, left, and right arrangements.
Yes that was a guess I had but didn't know. I have Def Tech Studio monitor 65 front mains, and center channel. So 3 SM 65s up front. I'm glad they sell them individually or I wouldn't have been able to do that. I'm not buying 4 speakers only intending to use 3.

TheWarrior

TheWarrior

Audioholic Ninja
Why do they sell hot dogs in packs of eight, but hot dog buns in packs of six?

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

I kind of doubt a brand will ship both speakers in one box even if being sold as a pair, the shipment would be too heavy / bulky. I can see small devices being marketed as a pair, like small desktop computer speakers, etc.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
My Def Tech speakers, studio monitor so not towers I bought all from Crutchfield. The speakers were in their individual boxes but then placed inside a bigger box by Crutchfield. I bought 2 SM 55s first, they came that way. Bought 2 SM 65s next and came that way. Then one more SM 65 and that was in its own individual box and then in another bigger box from Crutchfield. I was super happy with the packaging and how well they were shipped.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I kind of doubt a brand will ship both speakers in one box even if being sold as a pair, the shipment would be too heavy / bulky. I can see small devices being marketed as a pair, like small desktop computer speakers, etc.
My Ultras Bookshelf speakers showed up in one box. When I got the single later it was in a smaller box. The towers were boxed separately.

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

My Def Tech speakers, studio monitor so not towers I bought all from Crutchfield. The speakers were in their individual boxes but then placed inside a bigger box by Crutchfield. I bought 2 SM 55s first, they came that way. Bought 2 SM 65s next and came that way. Then one more SM 65 and that was in its own individual box and then in another bigger box from Crutchfield. I was super happy with the packaging and how well they were shipped.

Crutchfield does an excellent job at shipping. Those foam peanuts they make for cushioning can be reused, or if you don't need them, run them under water and presto! they disappear!

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

My Ultras Bookshelf speakers showed up in one box. When I got the single later it was in a smaller box. The towers were boxed separately.
How much do the Ultras bookshelves weigh?

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Crutchfield does an excellent job at shipping. Those foam peanuts they make for cushioning can be reused, or if you don't need them, run them under water and presto! they disappear!
Ya know what I am wrong, they did not come in one box now that I think about it. They were in thier individual factory Def Tech box, and then inside there own bigger boxes. So two packages. Then the metal Def Tech stands were in their original box and not inside another box. Just jogged my memory. Crutchfield does do an incredible job packing and shipping. I didn't know that about the peanuts, I didn't know they made thier own. That's pretty cool. I love Crutchfield by the way. Great customer service for sure.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
My Taylo Reference Monitors came individually double boxed and weigh in at over 32 lbs. each NOT including boxing. The Linbrooks and my Chane A2.4's were also boxed individually. I even remember my former Paradigm Studio 20 v.3's were also individually boxed. Of course, all were well over 25-lbs. or more. In fact, the Linbrooks were closer to 60-lbs. each! :):):)

Cheers,

Phil

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis