New to speakers and these forums!

T

TheWrench

Enthusiast
But if I don't need an AVR, that would leave 600 left in my budget, with that much extra arent there better speakers?
Or is it one of those things where you spend more, but then need to spend even more to actually get them to work? (Needing an amp)

I saw the ML motion 30 center channel. That would leave 400 in the budget left for amp and cables, is that a good option?
I don't need stereo sound or anything for organ music. It would be cool to listen to music on but it's primary use would be a mono organ monitor so would I be better off with a single higher end speaker rather than 2 lower end ones?

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Are you saying that the 308's need an avr and the 305's don't? Besides if I didn't need an AVR I'd put the money towards better speakers.
Neither needs an AVR.
The problem is, increasing your budget for a pro audio monitor won't get you a better monitor without spending at least two or three hundred dollars! These JBL's are a bit of a legend, and with good reason.
Shady offers some good options on bass management, but I would advise you to hold off as you might not need the additional crossover control. With the 305, try setting the subwoofer's built-in crossover at 50 Hz. Any speaker has a natural roll-off and the 305 would best match a 50Hz crossover point on the sub (per SVS's "Merlin" tool).
Since you are playing organ, you can determine which notes are in the crossover realm and just pay attention. If you hear some sort of funkiness going on in that range, then you can always add the extra crossover. However, the subs are designed to be used without external bass management. There would be no need for a crossover in the sub if everyone used AVR's (which control the signals for both sub and speakers).
Also, I have had fine results feeding the RCA or headphone outputs from the TV to the speakers for watching movies. Even used Y-connectors to split out the signal to the sub. Works well. (but if you want remote control of volume you will need to use the headphone output unless your TV allows the RCA out to be controlled by TV remote, which is sometimes an option in the settings menu of TV).

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
But if I don't need an AVR, that would leave 600 left in my budget, with that much extra arent there better speakers?
Or is it one of those things where you spend more, but then need to spend even more to actually get them to work? (Needing an amp)

I saw the ML motion 30 center channel. That would leave 400 in the budget left for amp and cables, is that a good option?
I don't need stereo sound or anything for organ music. It would be cool to listen to music on but it's primary use would be a mono organ monitor so would I be better off with a single higher end speaker rather than 2 lower end ones?
If you are willing to spend the money for a single monitor, this is the one I would get:
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/LSR705P
If you go this route, there is a good chance you can get them to throw in a cable to connect to your organ for free, worth asking anyway!

I forgot to add that the 305 can be ordered via Amazon if that is an easier option for you. Unfortunately, the 705 is not available through Amazon.

T

TheWrench

Enthusiast
Don't need an avr for volume control. I have that on my mixer.
The organ has 10 output channels, so I have to go through a mixer, I have a Yamaha 12 channel mixer and it works pretty good.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Don't need an avr for volume control. I have that on my mixer.
The organ has 10 output channels, so I have to go through a mixer, I have a Yamaha 12 channel mixer and it works pretty good.
Then probably active speaker(s) and sub could work very well since you're using a mixer depending on output modes...I think the JBL LSR 308s may just surprise you as to how good they are. Try this review of the 305 and this one of the 308.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
The JBL LSRs are very good, but there are other good active monitors too. Mackies are quite good. Adam is also very good. Behringer truth monitors are very good.

I would try to get a high pass filter for the monitors though. The slope of their rolloff will not be a hundred percent match for the low pass filter of the subwoofer. Plus, it prevents the bass drivers of the monitors from trying to dig deep, and this keeps distortion low from the monitors.

I would try to get a pair of speakers. If you just get one, then just one ear will get most sound exposure most of the time. It would be better to have sound be balanced between your ears, even if the source content is mono.

T

TheWrench

Enthusiast
Here's the organ, since I posted this thread I moved the speakers from by the tv, to either side of the organ. They aren't anything special, just unbranded speakers with decent ish sound quality. You can see they're quite large so space wouldn't be much of an issue, especially since I could put a sub behind me on the other side of the room.

Attachments

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis