Want a New Surround System

P

PottyTrained

Audioholic Intern
I'm pretty sure that it's not our hearing since I can understand the other HDTV's in the house just fine without a receiver connected to them. But we just may have our ears checked before I order anything, I do have a Sams card.
Thanks.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm pretty sure that it's not our hearing since I can understand the other HDTV's in the house just fine without a receiver connected to them. But we just may have our ears checked before I order anything, I do have a Sams card.
Thanks.
The center channel on the floor probably has a lot to do with it.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Thanks.
If you are okay with speech from TV speakers, definitely not your hearing.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The center channel on the floor probably has a lot to do with it.
Indeed and if you must have it on the floor at least put something under the front edge to angle it up and aim it more at your ears, also center it under the tv/between the L/R speakers.

P

PottyTrained

Audioholic Intern
I'm going to do some scouting on line the new week, and get 4 towers a very good Center and Sub. Do they all have to be from the same Company? or just the same OM's? Then I have to find a AVR That is easy to adjust the tone levels like the old days when I had my Pioneer 949 Quad Channel. But I know they don't build AVR's with dials anymore... lol

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I'm going to do some scouting on line the new week, and get 4 towers a very good Center and Sub. Do they all have to be from the same Company? or just the same OM's? Then I have to find a AVR That is easy to adjust the tone levels like the old days when I had my Pioneer 949 Quad Channel. But I know they don't build AVR's with dials anymore... lol
I'd use the same speakers if at all possible all around, at least the front three; subs do not have to match brand whatsoever. AVRs can be.....complex, but very versatile but more with GUI interface and even IP control rather than knobs.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
If you get a good set of speakers, then there will be little need for real tone control. Set them up properly and adjust the distance in the receiver -- also, an AVR with a on screen menu will spoil you -- you will not need to get out of your seat to turn different knobs.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
If you are okay with speech from TV speakers, definitely not your hearing.
I believe the Mitsubishi speakers were sourced from Onkyo -- their receivers were sourced from Onkyo. Also with that center, I believe one of the woofers is a passive radiator. Also, the Mitsubishi speakers have a hot treble. If he gets a good set of cohesive sounding speakers and set up the center properly, then it will be an ear opener.

P

PottyTrained

Audioholic Intern
The lady at RBH said she would give me a great deal If I ordered the system in all Red Burl, since they were over stocked with that color and I didn't care about color I got everything for $1706.oo
Now I just need a receiver that will do them justice, maybe the Denon 3300 ?

Attachments

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
The lady at RBH said she would give me a great deal If I ordered the system in all Red Burl, since they were over stocked with that color and I didn't care about color I got everything for $1706.oo
Now I just need a receiver that will do them justice, maybe the Denon 3300 ?
Good deal

Denon current price is $599 -- that would make for a good system

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
WTF just happened!!!
Guy says he has $5000 for us to help him spend and he ends up with a bill of $2300!
That is crazy!

Just kidding around, PT. However, I would guess on average guys usually end up spending 20-50% more than their originally stated budget.
Well done! I have heard those towers and they fill a room nicely with good sound! They won't blast you out, but it doesn't sound like that is what you are after.

I once helped a guy who had an Onkyo sub (which it sounds like is what you essentially have). The Onkyo sub was a one note wonder - meaning that in order to get the most dramatic impact from the sub, they tuned the port to be way loud at its resonance frequency.
To the uninitiated, Onkyo can get away with that on HT: nobody cares what pitch a dinosaur stomp is; as long as it is powerful, they are happy.
This guy had bought an 18" sub from Reaction Audio (now defunct) on the recommendation of this forum and expected to be physically blown out of his seat when he fired it up! He was thoroughly disappointed and felt like the 10" Onkyo was a stronger sub than his new 18" sub!!!
I brought over some music and had him listen to some bass instruments and see how the 18" sub maintained balance so you could hear everything going on and the Onkyo dramatially over-emphasized a narrow frequency range, which muddied up the rest of the low instruments.

I don't expect you have the same perspective as this guy, but thought I'd relate the story so you might have some idea of what changes to expect from your new sub (which will have the same character as the 18" sub, just not dig so low). A good sub should not draw attention to itself, it should just seem like your speakers play very deep!

Please let us know how the new system works out for you!

P

PottyTrained

Audioholic Intern
I thought about spending alot more but when you can't go and listen to what your buying it makes you hesitate. I have to change my living room around. Buy a large rug for the listening area (and their not cheap) My house Is built on a 8" slab of concrete and all interior walls,,, so there's no Insulation.
I thought about that in the process. I could have spent 50k but at my age I would rather travel more.
We just want Clarity not really noise. I'm still debating on a real good receiver under a 1000.oo and what wire to use for that Sub.

But Thanks Everyone for taking the time to answer my Post.
Jack

Last edited:
P

PottyTrained

Audioholic Intern
Everything should be here by Friday. I'll let everyone know how it sounds.
Thanks

P

PottyTrained

Audioholic Intern
I've tore up my house can't find my speaker wire, guess I need to buy some more, Any suggestions? 12 or 14 The Receiver is 8 ohm the speakers are 6 ohm.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
P

PottyTrained

Audioholic Intern
The Gang arrived today, Spent about 5 hours unboxing and putting the shoes on the towers.
I still have to build a place for the center speaker, and AVR. Or just buy a shelving unit for them.
Does anyone know where the sub have to be plugged into on the Denon 3300 Sub 1 or 2 in the preamp?
And what hole in the back of the Sub do I plug inot?

Attachments

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis