Got my Ultras today!

P

pewternhrata

Audioholic Chief
Unreal. Put in pink floyd-echoes played through some real quick. Integra dtr 7.8 with a denon DVD 2900. Instant goosebumps.(have to wait till the wife gets home to play more, my kid needs more attention than these and I'm ok with that) Regret selling my logans years ago, finally back to a solid 2ch.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Great speakers!
Congratulations!
Tower or bookshelf?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Congratulations! I have Ultras all the way around in a 5.2 setup. I love them. Absolutely love them. Wait til you get them all dialed in.

P

pewternhrata

Audioholic Chief
Bookshelf. I'm limited with space where I'm currently at, but hopefully buying a house next summer so I'll have a dedicated room then. But even with limited space I will definitely be enjoying these. Not sure if I'll go with the center or another bookshelf, I have more than enough time to figure that out (plus I'll be on lock down via the wife on purchases for awhile but definitely ok with that)
I kept going back and forth on the purchase and couldn't resist in the end. Ended up with bstock for $800, not torn up at all, a slight knick on the back corner of one, the other has a real light scratch by the hold that holds the grill. Actually surprised, I was expecting a little more damage than what I have.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Bookshelf. I'm limited with space where I'm currently at, but hopefully buying a house next summer so I'll have a dedicated room then. But even with limited space I will definitely be enjoying these. Not sure if I'll go with the center or another bookshelf, I have more than enough time to figure that out (plus I'll be on lock down via the wife on purchases for awhile but definitely ok with that)
I kept going back and forth on the purchase and couldn't resist in the end. Ended up with bstock for $800, not torn up at all, a slight knick on the back corner of one, the other has a real light scratch by the hold that holds the grill. Actually surprised, I was expecting a little more damage than what I have.
Very nice! Lucky YOU! Congratulations! Don't forget that returning SVS customers get a 5% discount on future purchases. Even on B-stocks! Feel free to post some pics. We all love looking at them.

Cheers,

Phil

P

pewternhrata

Audioholic Chief
Congratulations! I have Ultras all the way around in a 5.2 setup. I love them. Absolutely love them. Wait til you get them all dialed in.
How wide apart, far from the wall do you have yours, and how far back do you sit?
Mine currently are in the corners about 12ft apart, i noticed pulling them out about 2-3 ft from the corner they loose any "boomyness" to them (I'm sure that's more the room than anything else) surprised at how wide and open they sound from anywhere I'm at, and of course the sweet spot is nothing less than sweet.
Wish I had the logans to do a side by side comparison. All I have are the mordaunt 902 and boston a120, not fair to those guys lol

P

pewternhrata

Audioholic Chief
Switched to my anthem blx200, made a huge difference, almost as though there is something wrong with the denon. I know some say different manufacturers give a different sound, such as denon being "warm" but I've never bought too far into those claims.
None the less, these are full, open, detailed, never harsh, possibly a little boomy at times and that's my only dislike as of now.
Played through Joe Satriani - engines of creation, i heard detail that i had no clue was there before.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
How wide apart, far from the wall do you have yours, and how far back do you sit?
Mine currently are in the corners about 12ft apart, i noticed pulling them out about 2-3 ft from the corner they loose any "boomyness" to them (I'm sure that's more the room than anything else) surprised at how wide and open they sound from anywhere I'm at, and of course the sweet spot is nothing less than sweet.
Wish I had the logans to do a side by side comparison. All I have are the mordaunt 902 and boston a120, not fair to those guys lol
When I had the Ultra bookshelves as my mains (got the towers up front now, woot!) I had them about 20" from the back wall. About 11' apart and I sit 14' away from them. The left one was almost in the corner. After running room correction they sounded fantastic. Are you using a sub with them? Have you run any kind of room correction? Audyssey does a really nice job in my room.

I have a pair of subs as my listening space is pretty large. I'm also using a bookshelf as my center. If you can swing it (have the room), that is hands down what I'd recommend. Not only will you save a few bucks, it's a perfect timbre match.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
thanks!

I read the guys signature then checked to see what he meant by ultras.

How is it you and other posters know? :confused:

Funny thing is, I was looking at those yesterday. That and Emotiva. I am thinking of putting in an inexpensive 5.1.
I really like them. If you keep an eye on their outlet the bookshelf speakers pop up fairly often. I got 3 of them for 399 apiece. You would struggle to find a mark on them. Awesome speakers. Surprising bass from a bookshelf too.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
thanks!

I read the guys signature then checked to see what he meant by ultras.

How is it you and other posters know? :confused:

Funny thing is, I was looking at those yesterday. That and Emotiva. I am thinking of putting in an inexpensive 5.1.
Post a new thread and describe your interests, constraints, budget, etc. We love spending other people's money. I like the looks of those Airmotiv combos as well.

eljr

eljr

Audioholic General
describe your interests,

music

I simply do not watch movies or TV.

My biggest fear in putting together a 5.1 is getting a sound quality that is significantly, perceptibly inferior to the 2 channel systems I already have.

I LOVE the thousand dollar price point for 5 speakers. I don't need a sub as I have several. It's an indulgence, not a need.

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
music

I simply do not watch movies or TV.

My biggest fear in putting together a 5.1 is getting a sound quality that is significantly, perceptibly inferior to the 2 channel systems I already have.

I LOVE the thousand dollar price point for 5 speakers. I don't need a sub as I have several. It's an indulgence, not a need.
Build 5 of these. They're Jeff Bagby designed, so they're bound to be gold. Let us know how it goes. :)

The $1000 neighborhood for 5 completed speakers won't get you much. Best offering I can think of would be a Hsu HB1 combo, but contact Dr. Hsu and see what he'd charge to substitute a 5th bookshelf in place of the horizontal center.

5x B-stock RBH R55Ti would also be worth considering. See Gene's review (from before the EMPTek -> RBH re-branding).

Also, 5x Monoprice Monolith K-BAS bookshelfs, currently on sale for $200 each. Thorough review by @shadyJ.

Last edited:
speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
I really like them. If you keep an eye on their outlet the bookshelf speakers pop up fairly often. I got 3 of them for 399 apiece. You would struggle to find a mark on them. Awesome speakers. Surprising bass from a bookshelf too.
So very true. But, remember there is also a 5% discount for returning customers. Even for B-stocks! Every little bit helps right? :):):)

Cheers,

Phil

eljr

eljr

Audioholic General
Build 5 of these. They're Jeff Bagby designed, so they're bound to be gold. Let us know how it goes. :)

Not in a billion years. My hobby is music appreciation not hobby kits.

The $1000 neighborhood for 5 completed speakers won't get you much. Best offering I can think of would be a Hsu HB1 combo, but contact Dr. Hsu and see what he'd charge to substitute a 5th bookshelf in place of the horizontal center.
Why would you recommend those over these?

https://www.svsound.com/products/prime-bookshelf-surround-system

https://emotiva.com/products/loudspeakers/airmotiv-5ch-bundle

and is this package an appreciable improvement over the two I just posted links to.
(how/why is it worth double the price?)

https://www.svsound.com/products/ultra-bookshelf-surround-package

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai

Why would you recommend those over these?

https://www.svsound.com/products/prime-bookshelf-surround-system

https://emotiva.com/products/loudspeakers/airmotiv-5ch-bundle

and is this package an appreciable improvement over the two I just posted links to.
(how/why is it worth double the price?)

https://www.svsound.com/products/ultra-bookshelf-surround-package
SVS Prime isn't very. Read this review. Spoiler:

The Emotiva package looks promising, but would be more appropriate for a home theater I think, where the surrounds are almost exclusively used for effects and not critical content; and where the center must be horizontal to accommodate a display. For an exclusive music 5.x system, you'd be better off getting 5 identical speakers I think.

The SVS Ultras use better components and have better tuning than the Primes.

Hey, I thought of another option. 5x Ascend Acoustics CBM-170 on sale for $772 shipped. @BoredSysAdmin digs them, if I recall correctly.

The Chane A1.4 looks pretty interesting too, but they're sold in pairs. Unknown whether you could get a single for your center, or if you'd end up with both front and rear centers. The following graph (source) seems to agree with the manufacturer's published response graphs:

But don't rely solely on my opinions. You really should start a new thread.

Last edited:
zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
The Emotiva Airmotiv looks good to me

A subjective review here -- post 22 and 23
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-speakers/2542817-official-emotiva-airmotiv-speaker-thread.html#post46911401

The B1 bookshelf subjective review -- while his test was nearfield, you will still get a general idea of the sound.
http://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-speakers/2877137-emotiva-airmotiv-b1-speakers-desktop-nearfield-impressions.html#post54030097

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-speakers/2877137-emotiva-airmotiv-b1-speakers-desktop-nearfield-impressions.html#post53796513

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis