Surrounds: bookshelf or smaller?

E

EnergyForever

Audiophyte
I was happily using ancient Energy 2.1e speakers as my surrounds on stands for my HT for a few years (I had them from my student days so just reused them). Yesterday, my young daughter bumped into a stand, it fell and broke speaker input terminals.

I am looking for replacement surrounds but I am not sure should I be looking for bookshelf sized speakers or something smaller. I am OK with stands, we mostly use them once a week for a Friday movie night, and it is not a big hassle to set them up and stow them away after. Stands are big enough to hold bookshelf speakers but they are a bit unstable with them on top.

The set-up is: a corner of a large living room that opens into kitchen (so I couldn't see a way to put surrounds on walls). Usage: HT, blueray, some Amazon Prime streaming.

* Pioneer VSX-821-K receiver
* HSU Research STF-2 subwoofer
* Front and center: Polk TSi300, CS10

Any opinions/recommendations appreciated.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
If you have a bigger budget for the surrounds, I would suggest the "MONOPRICE" Monolith Air Motion Cinema 5 Bookshelf Speakers. They retail at $199 each but the frequency response is smooth and the Air Motion tweeter would be really sweet sounding:

https://www.monoprice.com/Product?p_id=16221

Last edited:
Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Talking about stands for the surround speakers, you probably could look for some steel tube stands in which you can pour sand to increase stability.
Have you also thought about the possibility of suspending the bookshelf surrounds from the ceiling?

E

EnergyForever

Audiophyte
Talking about stands for the surround speakers, you probably could look for some steel tube stands in which you can pour sand to increase stability.
Have you also thought about the possibility of suspending the bookshelf surrounds from the ceiling?
My stands already are cheap telescoping pipes, pouring sand inside may help a bit:

https://www.amazon.com/VideoSecu-Adjustable-Height-Satellite-Speaker/dp/B000VRREPG

The base is pretty small though, so not stable (now I see in reviews several people complaining about them falling over). Maybe I should look for something similar just with larger base?

E

EnergyForever

Audiophyte
I just learned about this option today browsing this forum. My wife will probably object to having speakers suspended from the ceiling in the middle of the living room...

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
My stands already are cheap telescoping pipes, pouring sand inside may help a bit:

https://www.amazon.com/VideoSecu-Adjustable-Height-Satellite-Speaker/dp/B000VRREPG

The base is pretty small though, so not stable (now I see in reviews several people complaining about them falling over). Maybe I should look for something similar just with larger base?
You would be better off with the following stands from which tubes can be filled with sand as well. These look a lot more stable: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00QFZ5BSA?psc=1

E

EnergyForever

Audiophyte
If you have a bigger budget for the surrounds, I would suggest the "MONOPRICE" Monolith Air Motion Cinema 5 Bookshelf Speakers. They retail at $199 each but the frequency response is smooth and the Air Motion tweeter would be really sweet sounding:

https://www.monoprice.com/Product?p_id=16221
Looks interesting but do you think surrounds for movies (not music) really need bleeding edge quality?

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
Looks interesting but do you think surrounds for movies (not music) really need bleeding edge quality?
There is music in films too and I have no doubt whatsoever in saying that these bigger Monolith speakers with the Air Motion tweeters would give you a fuller sound than the smaller boxes. Moreover, these are rather easy to drive taking into account their impedance curve and have more than double the weight of the other two suggested which means a sturdier box construction. In addition, they have a higher power rating. If you like to listen to your films at a louder sound level at times, they will be able to handle the additional power without distorting.

Moreover, you might even be tempted in the near future to replace your Polk speakers with some which have a similar performance than that of the Monoliths which you would have been using as surrounds. You could verify with Monoprice, I understand you have the possibly to return them if you are not satisfied.

I haven't heard those Monoliths, but based on the published specs which I have no reason to doubt, I suggested them to you as an audiophile with a professional speaker building background.

Last edited:
slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I was happily using ancient Energy 2.1e speakers as my surrounds on stands for my HT for a few years (I had them from my student days so just reused them). Yesterday, my young daughter bumped into a stand, it fell and broke speaker input terminals.

I am looking for replacement surrounds but I am not sure should I be looking for bookshelf sized speakers or something smaller. I am OK with stands, we mostly use them once a week for a Friday movie night, and it is not a big hassle to set them up and stow them away after. Stands are big enough to hold bookshelf speakers but they are a bit unstable with them on top.

The set-up is: a corner of a large living room that opens into kitchen (so I couldn't see a way to put surrounds on walls). Usage: HT, blueray, some Amazon Prime streaming.

* Pioneer VSX-821-K receiver
* HSU Research STF-2 subwoofer
* Front and center: Polk TSi300, CS10

Any opinions/recommendations appreciated.
If it is really just a broken terminal, it can likely be repaired. Even if you end up replacing them, it is worth a try at a repair before trashing them!

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
^^^^
It can be -- however, need to find out how the crossover of the Energy speaker is connected to the inside of the banana terminal panel.

Last edited:
slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
That looks about right, but I can't say for sure that the dimensions are an exact replacement. Of course, you could likely just replace the 5-way binding posts and not the entire terminal cup.

Likely there are just 2 wires on the back of that panel, 1 for the red and 1 for the black. Next step would be to remove that panel and have a look.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
You can find a variety of replacement binding posts or terminal plates/cups at Parts Express or Madisound.

Binding posts – Use your existing terminal plates and replace the binding posts
  • Remove the 4 screws holding the plate to the back of the speaker.
  • Pull it out, and write down what wires are connected to the positive post and negative post. The wires should be color coded.
  • Remove the broken binding posts. Usually the back of the post is threaded and a hex nut holds it in place.
  • Note what size hole is in the plastic plate.
The posts below look like they should work. They cost $2.75 each. Order one Red post, and one Black post.

Terminal plates – Be certain about the dimensions of the cutout on the rear of your speakers before you order any of these.
https://www.parts-express.com/cat/terminal-plates-cups/321?N=19863+4294967118&Ne=10166&No=0&Nrpp=16&Nrs=collection()/record[endeca:matches(.,"P_PortalID","1")+and+endeca:matches(.,"P_Searchable","1")]&PortalID=1
http://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/terminal-cups/

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis