subwoofer placement help

C

cesar ortiz

Audioholic Intern
hello you guys I need some help placing my subwoofers..

i have a klipsch r-110sw and a klipsch sw-110

and at the moment i have them towards the left corner of my room in the front
not all the way in the corner but maybe 2 feet away from the wall but they are both right next to each other

first of all it doesn't look good lol
it honestly sound ok
but i see pictures where one is in one side then the other in the other side
another thing i have a 7.1 channel receiver so i am using a y cable to split the signals

i was reading about one being 0 phase and another one being 180 but when ever i do that i get a huge cancelation of bass in my seating position again thats the woofer being right next to each other ..

also my seating position is like 4 feet away from my back wall

i have a perfect rectangular room is a basement ..

what do you guys recommend placing them and also the phase how should i leave them

both at 0

at the moment they are both at 0 and man they sound very loud..

C

cesar ortiz

Audioholic Intern
You can get more spl by locating them together (acoustic coupling), but you may get better response across more seating positions through the room by separating them. Try this article http://www.audioholics.com/home-theater-connection/subwoofer-placement-guidelines

so today i was moving them around and trying different set ups i didnt have a long enough cable to do crazy movements so i tried one towards the left of the room and another one towards the right of my room

in my front stage

they are not all the way at the corner

they are 2 feet away from the wall on each side

they sound great
what has me confused is that they say

one woofer needs to be at 0 and the other one at 180

but when ever i do that i get a very bad cancelation and i don't here that much bass and when i put them both at 0 wow

best sound ..

is it the room or is it that i only have 7.1 instead of 2

i measured the woofers make sure they are both aline correctly and both apart from the wall the same

and it seems to be sounding great

only thing is the phase

should i just leave them both at 0

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
If you get cancellation by setting one at 180, then definitely don't do that. Like Hd said, if they're both in front, or even co-located, phase will likely be set the same. Usually if one is in the back of the room and one is in the front is where you'd set one of them to 180.

C

cesar ortiz

Audioholic Intern
If you get cancellation by setting one at 180, then definitely don't do that. Like Hd said, if they're both in front, or even co-located, phase will likely be set the same. Usually if one is in the back of the room and one is in the front is where you'd set one of them to 180.

i see

thanks for the help

they sound great

today i cranked both of them up just to hear them and geesus lol they where so loud the whole house almost came down lol

i can just imagine how a bigger and better subwoofer would sound lol

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai

not all the way in the corner but maybe 2 feet away from the wall but they are both right next to each other

it honestly sound ok
another thing i have a 7.1 channel receiver so i am using a y cable to split the signals

i was reading about one being 0 phase and another one being 180 but when ever i do that i get a huge cancelation of bass in my seating position again thats the woofer being right next to each other ..

what do you guys recommend placing them and also the phase how should i leave them

both at 0

Are they both on the same wall? What are your room dimensions? Obviously if flipping the phase switch sounds bad, don't do it. The best place to start with placement is putting both in the front corners.

Sent from my 5065N using Tapatalk

C

cesar ortiz

Audioholic Intern
Are they both on the same wall? What are your room dimensions? Obviously if flipping the phase switch sounds bad, don't do it. The best place to start with placement is putting both in the front corners.

Yeah they are on the front wall

Not the best set up very tight budget here

I don't know the room size but it is a perfect rectangular room

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

C

cesar ortiz

Audioholic Intern

i measured my room and 195 inches by 124 inches

super small room lols actually my basement

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord

it honestly sound ok

both at 0

Have you tried, or heard of the sub crawl? It covers that in the link(s) HD posted for you.

C

cesar ortiz

Audioholic Intern
Have you tried, or heard of the sub crawl? It covers that in the link(s) HD posted for you.
Yeah I saw that video aswell it helped out a lot

I think I figured it out
It sounds great where I have them both located now

Plus I don't have much space to place the subwoofers along the side of the room

I have another couch on the left wall

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
Side wall placement is generally a bad idea outside of a quad sub configuration. In rectangular rooms, the width is obviously shorter than the length. You have two prominent room modes, basically frequencies the room amplifies, based on 1/4th of the length of the wavelength. In an 11' wide room, the frequency amplified by the side wall is going to be around 53hz. At the front/back wall, around 37hz if your room is 15x11 feet. Placing it in the corners will equally amplify both room modes, lifting the entire bass region up, improving the efficiency of your sub's by about 6dB, and providing the smoothest response. Seating distance is very important too. At about the halfway point from both the side and rear walls, the frequencies at the room modes will cancel out, since the reflected sound is out of phase with the direct sound. While this makes sitting directly in the middle of the room a bad idea, this cancellation can be used to your advantage. At 38% distance from either the front or rear wall, and 38% from the side walls, you're at a point where the reflected and direct sound just starts to meet, which helps tame the bump in response at the room resonance. Since you have sub's on either side of the front wall, this will be less of an issue as far as the room resonance along the width of the room goes. If you're able to move your couch, I'd place it at either 6ft or 9ft from the screen for optimal response.

C

cesar ortiz

Audioholic Intern
Side wall placement is generally a bad idea outside of a quad sub configuration. In rectangular rooms, the width is obviously shorter than the length. You have two prominent room modes, basically frequencies the room amplifies, based on 1/4th of the length of the wavelength. In an 11' wide room, the frequency amplified by the side wall is going to be around 53hz. At the front/back wall, around 37hz if your room is 15x11 feet. Placing it in the corners will equally amplify both room modes, lifting the entire bass region up, improving the efficiency of your sub's by about 6dB, and providing the smoothest response. Seating distance is very important too. At about the halfway point from both the side and rear walls, the frequencies at the room modes will cancel out, since the reflected sound is out of phase with the direct sound. While this makes sitting directly in the middle of the room a bad idea, this cancellation can be used to your advantage. At 38% distance from either the front or rear wall, and 38% from the side walls, you're at a point where the reflected and direct sound just starts to meet, which helps tame the bump in response at the room resonance. Since you have sub's on either side of the front wall, this will be less of an issue as far as the room resonance along the width of the room goes. If you're able to move your couch, I'd place it at either 6ft or 9ft from the screen for optimal response.

I'm a bit confused lol

idk if you saw my picture of my little set up

my couch is maybe 3 feet away from my back wall

Both of my subs are 2 feet away from the side wall

So do I have my sub woofers placed wrong ?

C

cesar ortiz

Audioholic Intern

Ok so I get it

Basically putting the subwoofers on the side walls would be a horrible idea in this room because of the dimensions of this room ok yes I understand now

I feel where my couch is located now I get the most strongest bass

It almost sounds like I have 15 inch subwoofers in here lol

tomorrow I will measure exactly where my couch is placed and see if it's placed where you are saying

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis