My Son Wants a Sub (Car)

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Title says it all. I've been out of car audio for over a decade and don't know where to start. Been looking at RSS315HF-4, or the UM12 for starters, but I'm open to suggestions. He's planning on putting it in the trunk of his Hyundai Accent.

Do they make flat pack subs for car audio? That'd be probably the best way to go for us. A ported box.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Title says it all. I've been out of car audio for over a decade and don't know where to start. Been looking at RSS315HF-4, or the UM12 for starters, but I'm open to suggestions. He's planning on putting it in the trunk of his Hyundai Accent.

Do they make flat pack subs for car audio? That'd be probably the best way to go for us. A ported box.
I'm kind of old school for car audio, Rockford Fosgate Punch is one of my all time favs. After that, the Infinity 1260 was really good, but looks like those aren't available any longer. I've also been pretty pleased with AudioBahn.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Believe it or not but Alpine makes some very good subs. Their amps, speakers and cd players have always been a step above inmho. I have sold more Alpine than any other brand. At one time, we sold a lot of Rockford too. Memphis is also a good brand to check out. We have sold a lot of Memphis lately.

Cheers,

Phil

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
I think the 10" version of either the rs or the um would be more than sufficient for a car. The UM would be easier as it lends itself to sealed design.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I've got a 15" audiobahn sub in my garage that I'll never use for anything. Pay shipping and it's yours.

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai

Bass in a car is easy. I'd just search Craigslist for subwoofers or sub boxes. Fosgate, MTX, JL Audio, Infinity, Alpine, Memphis, Eclipse, MB Quart, there's bound to be something worthwhile nearby at an excellent bargain, and probably already bundled with an amp. People get married, have kids, get minivans, and get rid of their subwoofers. I do recommend vented, as I've heard vented 8's that felt and sounded like 15's. Also, since your son's car is so small, I think an 8 would be plenty big enough, and he can still throw stuff in the trunk when he needs to.

Also, plan to get a 1 farad cap. Not only will it make the sub amp more capable of handling peaks, but it'll also save some wear on the car battery. I noticed before I got a cap I was replacing my car battery every couple of years; but after, my battery would last at least 5.

If you want to treat your son, get him a miniDSP and a 4-channel amp (again, probably available on Craigslist) for the cabin speakers, and flatten his midrange with a laptop and a measurement mic. If he's got a factory head unit, Crutchfield or fleabay or somebody probably offers an adapter for head unit out to RCA pre-amp. Upgrading his front speakers would also be a good idea. Maybe Craigslist again?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I've got a 15" audiobahn sub in my garage that I'll never use for anything. Pay shipping and it's yours.
A very generous offer! Is there a kit or prefab box for it I can find online? I'm gonna have to start doing some homework on audiobahn...

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I think the 10" version of either the rs or the um would be more than sufficient for a car. The UM would be easier as it lends itself to sealed design.
Thanks guys. Yes, I had a 10" sub in my truck and it was enough. I had it in a sealed box I built with a little help. What do you think about panteragstk's offer on the 15" and I only pay shipping? I've barely even heard of audiobahn.
Bass in a car is easy. I'd just search Craigslist for subwoofers or sub boxes. Fosgate, MTX, JL Audio, Infinity, Alpine, Memphis, Eclipse, MB Quart, there's bound to be something worthwhile nearby at an excellent bargain, and probably already bundled with an amp. People get married, have kids, get minivans, and get rid of their subwoofers. I do recommend vented, as I've heard vented 8's that felt and sounded like 15's. Also, since your son's car is so small, I think an 8 would be plenty big enough, and he can still throw stuff in the trunk when he needs to.

Also, plan to get a 1 fard cap. Not only will it make the sub amp more capable of handling peaks, but it'll also save some wear on the car battery. I noticed before I got a cap I was replacing my car battery every couple of years; but after, my battery would last at least 5.

If you want to treat your son, get him a miniDSP and a 4-channel amp (again, probably available on Craigslist) for the cabin speakers, and flatten his midrange with a laptop and a measurement mic. If he's got a factory head unit, Crutchfield or fleabay or somebody probably offers an adapter for head unit out to RCA pre-amp. Upgrading his front speakers would also be a good idea. Maybe Craigslist again?
Rojo! Lots of info here. I used a 1 farad cap in my truck system, so I'm on board with that. My son has a newer car and the stock system is actually not bad, but he's lacking bass for sure. He was looking to do a whole system and I suggested starting with a sub. It might be all he needs. Thanks for the well thought out reply. I'm gonna keep reading and figure out what's up. I'm seriously thinking of taking panteragstk's offer.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I was into car audio pretty deep, but it's been a long time. I remember I went to a welding supply to get 4 awg wire to run from the battery to the cap, then to my amp. Some pretty serious overkill, lol.

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
Thanks guys. Yes, I had a 10" sub in my truck and it was enough. I had it in a sealed box I built with a little help. What do you think about panteragstk's offer on the 15" and I only pay shipping? I've barely even heard of audiobahn.

Rojo! Lots of info here. I used a 1 fard cap in my truck system, so I'm on board with that. My son has a newer car and the stock system is actually not bad, but he's lacking bass for sure. He was looking to do a whole system and I suggested starting with a sub. It might be all he needs. Thanks for the well thought out reply. I'm gonna keep reading and figure out what's up. I'm seriously thinking of taking panteragstk's offer.
Audiobahn is German for... audio... good... isn't it? Sounds like a safe bet! I've heard Audiobahn subs and can confirm they're worthwhile. Only concern is that a box big enough for a 15 won't leave any room for your son's stuff in the trunk. And if he ever has a flat, it'll be a struggle to move the sub out of the way to get to the spare tire.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Audiobahn is German for... audio... good... isn't it? Sounds like a safe bet! I've heard Audiobahn subs and can confirm they're worthwhile. Only concern is that a box big enough for a 15 won't leave any room for your son's stuff in the trunk. And if he ever has a flat, it'll be a struggle to get out the spare tire.
The box was my first thought too. Kind of a shame to do a sealed one, but might have to. That driver should still pound in a sealed box. Easier to build too.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
@panteragstk, you gave me an offer that's hard to refuse! Is it just the driver or enclosure as well? Will this beast fit in the trunk of a Hyundai Accent?

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
@panteragstk, you gave me an offer that's hard to refuse! Is it just the driver or enclosure as well? Will this beast fit in the trunk of a Hyundai Accent?
Oh it will fit. Nothing some hammer and nails can't fix......LOL!!! Just kidding! :D:eek::D 15" Alpine Type R subs are also killer. Sold more of them than any other 15" we carry. Memphis 15" subs are also good for the money.

Cheers,

Phil

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Oh it will fit. Nothing some hammer and nails can't fix......LOL!!! Just kidding! :D:eek::D 15" Alpine Type R subs are also killer. Sold more of them than any other 15" we carry. Memphis 15" subs are also good for the money.

Cheers,

Phil
Appreciate it Phil. I think panteragstk's (thank you, personal dictionary :p) offer of free is probably the best bang for my buck. Well, I pay the shipping. Not a bad deal at all. A 15 is gonna take up a lot of space though. I gotta figure out if it's gonna practical. Might go with a 12 or even a 10. I haven't checked Craigslist yet either. Might find something there on the cheap, amp, enclosure and all.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Appreciate it Phil. I think panteragstk's (thank you, personal dictionary :p) offer of free is probably the best bang for my buck. Well, I pay the shipping. Not a bad deal at all. A 15 is gonna take up a lot of space though. I gotta figure out if it's gonna practical. Might go with a 12 or even a 10. I haven't checked Craigslist yet either. Might find something there on the cheap, amp, enclosure and all.
I am sure. Just couldn't resist the old hammer and nails thing......LOL!!!!! We all need a good laugh every now and then eh? :cool::p:cool:

Phil

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Fit is not really the question, will it rattle the car into tiny pieces, maybe.

I'll have to get it out of the box in my garage and give you a model number. It is somewhat buried.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
For my smaller sports car (Nissan 300zx), I found a single 10" to be about right.

For my Mustang, I have 2x 10" in the trunk.

I've had 12" and 2x 12" and found those to be a bit much for both bass and the space that they take up (for cars towards the small end of the spectrum).

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis