Review of the Definitive Technology Studio monitor line

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
@zieglj01
I've seen your preference for certain jbl speakers in the past, and again in this thread. I also know you own, and have listened to more speakers than anyone on earth. I own a suite of older studio II's with s312's as mains.(s38's are amazing. They're my side surrounds) I'm hoping you can give me some insight as to how they might compare the the newer 590's or at least how the two series compare. Not looking for a highjack, just a little insight if that's ok.

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
A LOT of speaker manufacturers fudge numbers.
And some people won't buy speakers from any of those companies who fudge numbers. :D

OTOH, A LOT of people will buy speakers from those companies because they believe the lie. :D

Hey, B&W is doing the same thing now with the frequency response. So maybe it's a smart economic move.

http://www.bowers-wilkins.com/Speakers/Home_Audio/800_Series_Diamond/800-D3.html

According to B&W, the 800D3's frequency range is 13Hz-35kHz (F3 = 15Hz). That's a bigger fudge than what DefTech did when they listed the BP7000SC as 14Hz-30kHz.

Oh, sorry, I didn't mean to derail this thread. :D

Last edited:
H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
It only took a day.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Hey guys just an update on the amp. I took a look at it and apparently I don't even know what I have. It's a Parasound 1205A amp not a 5125. It is a beast and I'm home get RCA cables this week and hook it up to the Yamaha. Hey why not, it can't hurt, it can only help. It's a beast of an amp. It's 140 watts per channel @ 8 ohms, 200 @ 4 ohms. I love these real amps, these separate amps because get give you each channel driven not this BS of 6 ohms 1 channel stuff in receivers. Again I'm not doing it to play louder, just a better overall sound. Also I have it so why not use it.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Yeah if you already have it, why not? I'd try it.

*Edit: I don't know much about your avr, but it looks like there are only pre outs for zone 2?
**Edit: nvmnd, I just found an image of the back...

rxv663rear.jpg

Last edited:
H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
I have the Yamaha RX-V663 and it does have pre outs for all. I don't know what Yamaha that was.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
In fact that is right, and you can see all the pre outs. On the top just above the HDMI out. It has all the pre outs you need correct? Am I missing something? This will only be temporary until I get an Outlaw processor.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Came up when I googled your model in images. First one I clicked. Shoulda looked a little closer I guess. Oops.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
In fact that is right, and you can see all the pre outs. On the top just above the HDMI out. It has all the pre outs you need correct? Am I missing something? This will only be temporary until I get an Outlaw processor.

Yeah, you look good. I just didn't know so I googled a little to find out. That's why I posted the image. Speaks for itself.

(Dude, kill that Tapatalk signature. :))

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Ok good, no problem. I thought I overlooked something, scared me. It's all good. Like I said it's only temporary until I get the new Outlaw model 976.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I wish I had pre outs. I thought I did, but only for a zone 2. My avr can get it up to some pretty spirited levels though.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
I wish I had pre outs. I thought I did, but only for a zone 2.
It used to be almost standard didn't it? Now I see only the more expensive one have it. Another bad trend in the AVR industry I don't like.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
I don't want to keep harping on this subject but I literally can't stop and don't want to stop listening to these speakers. I've had some very expensive Def Techs in the past, like in the $3,000 dollar range but nothing that made me want to just keep listening to them, and watching movies again just to hear it on this system. I'm highly impressed. The SM 65 center I think is breaking in nicely and starting to work or sound better or more uniform is the word with the other SM 65 mains. So the system is actually getting better as I go.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis