Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Has anyone heard these speakers? They're considered a bookshelf, but they're pretty big. 8" mid/bass and a 1" aluminum dome tweeter. They did need some short stands though. I bought them preowned from a reputable hifi shop, the kind where they only let certain people (read- very rich) in some of the show rooms. I demoed some McIntosh speakers, another brand I don't remember and the B&Ws. My buddy, Stew, talked me into the B&Ws. Picked 'em up for $400 in '98 when I bought my house. They were in excellent shape.

images (1).jpg
images.jpg
download.jpg

Stew (a long time audiophile who shmoozes well and knew quite a bit) and I talked our way into listening to some very large Magnepans, among many other speakers. Once Stewart got to him, he was more than happy to give us a tour around the show rooms and let us listen. I remember amplifiers as big as medium sized subwoofers and price tags that had bigger numbers on them than most average houses. The amps and the maggies were what I remember best. Oh! And a gigantic Klipsch sub that looked like it could withstand an airstrike. It was super smooth. Very cool and very, very heavy. I don't want to sound dramatic, but it was almost a magical for me. I really do love this hobby. It was a pretty awesome experience I'll always remember. I loved it.

Anyway, those DM560s are what got me sort of started on my path to a nice home stereo system. I say sort of because I stagnated for almost 20 years... In the 20 years I had them I was never quite satisfied with them though, but didn't think I could do much better on my budget so I kept them. I thought they were pretty detailed, they could play pretty loud without a lot of power and didn't sound strained doing it. They had decent bass by themselves, but they were just kind of dull to my ears. Not bright enough? The tweeters were fine on both as far as I could tell. I attribute it to their signature smiley face warm sound. I still don't care for it, but I did like them enough to keep them for as long as I did. The Ultras are so much better though. I'm very happy I have them now.

One time one of my dogs knocked one of them off the flimsy stand (the same stands I modified for the Ultras) it was on, and ripped the woofer cone. I was gutted. I didn't think I would ever find a matching speaker on my budget, let alone even find one. We were struggling at the time. A friend found one on ebay with a smooshed tweeter for 50 bucks. I jumped on it. I took the undamaged woofer from it and replaced the damaged one in the other. Success! It worked and I was back in business. I got very lucky. I still look occasionally out of curiosity and they don't pop up very often. I sold them to a neighbor so I get to visit them. They still work and sound great.

So that was the beginning of my hifi journey. I'm home alone and kinda bored right now. I guess that's why I typed this up. Plus it let's you guys get to know me a little better (if you care to! :p) and I'm genuinely curious if anyone here has heard them and their impressions. Most of this was pre-Internet for me so I didn't have a lot of resources like I do now with sites like this one. It's so much easier to research stuff now.

Attachments

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
They look like they might be fine. With an 8" woofer and done tweeter on a flat baffle, I suspect its dispersion might be a bit wonky, but they are older speakers. A polar map of their response might be a bit scary though.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
They look like they might be fine. With an 8" woofer and done tweeter on a flat baffle, I suspect its dispersion might be a bit wonky, but they are older speakers. A polar map of their response might be a bit scary though.
That could be why I didn't like them. I'd had a small taste of hifi at that time and the 560s just weren't quite the same flavor i guess.

D

Diesel57

Full Audioholic
Still learning of course, just curious about how they would sound music wise in a 2.1 setup with audyssey multi eq or how would you place them for a 5.1 HT, like you Pogre, home alone for the next 2 days and putting together my choices for what I believe is going to be my final upgrade with a budget topped off at $13-14k and surely in about a week or 2, I'll definitely be counting on you & Shady:rolleyes: along with some of the others for onsite after I post some gear I have in mind...

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Still learning of course, just curious about how they would sound music wise in a 2.1 setup with audyssey multi eq or how would you place them for a 5.1 HT, like you Pogre, home alone for the next 2 days and putting together my choices for what I believe is going to be my final upgrade with a budget topped off at $13-14k and surely in about a week or 2, I'll definitely be counting on you & Shady:rolleyes: along with some of the others for onsite after I post some gear I have in mind...
That's a pretty healthy budget diesel! What are you looking at right now? Let us know if you have any questions, I love spending other people's money. :p

Klipschhead302

Klipschhead302

Senior Audioholic
My HiFi journey started in 1972, back then people were throwing console stereos away at the curb, working condition, same with TV's. All of them tube powered. Over a few years I brought stuff home that drove my parents crazy but you'd be shocked at how nice much of it was. Some of the Zenith's had actual bass coming from them, closed enclosures instead of the open ones that were common, big drivers, mid-ranges and tweeters, great sounding beasts.

I then wandered to the local malls where 2 Stereo shops competed against each other and I did a lot of dumpster diving and ended up bringing home some pretty good stuff from them as well. In 1978 I did a science project that made it down state based on speakers. To this day I still don't know how that happened but the judges loved it.

In 1979 I got a job at one of the shops and bought my first van from the guy and filled it with Marantz car audio gear (back then this stuff was very high grade) and that van pounded pretty damn good. We also got in the first Ohm F's that came out and ran them so hard the drivers were smoking, they never really got loud, just amazing speakers and it took a ton of power to drive them.

In the 80's I competed in their car audio show downs and won 1st place 3 years in a row, the owner of MTX sat in my car and said he loved it, which he should have since everything but the tweeters were MTX, the tweeters were Boston Acoustics. I was also one of the only ones sporting a CD head unit, which was good and bad since gen 1's skipped if you farted in the car so it was a big job keeping vibrations from it.

It's also the place I bought "The Sixes" from last week bringing me full circle, I love this stuff. :D

Last edited:
William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
My HiFi journey started in 1972, back then people were throwing console stereos away at the curb, working condition, same with TV's. All of them tube powered. Over a few years I brought stuff home that drove my parents crazy but you'd be shocked at how nice much of it was. Some of the Zenith's had actual bass coming from them, closed enclosures instead of the open ones that were common, big drivers, mid-ranges and tweeters, great sounding beasts.

I then wandered to the local malls where 2 Stereo shops competed against each other and I did a lot of dumpster diving and ended up bringing home some pretty good stuff from them as well. In 1978 I did a science project that made it down state based on speakers. To this day I still don't know how that happened but the judges loved it.

In 1979 I got a job at one of the shops and bought my first van from the guy and filled it with Marantz car audio gear (back then this stuff was very high grade) and that van pounded pretty damn good. We also got in the first Ohm F's that came out and ran them so hard the drivers were smoking, they never really got loud, just amazing speakers and it took a ton of power to drive them.

In the 80's I competed in their car audio show downs and won 1st place 3 years in a row, the owner of MTX sat in my car and said he loved it, which he should have since everything but the tweeters were MTX, the tweeters were Boston Acoustics. I was also one of the only ones sporting a CD head unit, which was good and bad since gen 1's skipped if you farted in the car so it was a big job keeping vibrations from it.

It's also the place I bought "The Sixes" from last week bringing me full circle, I love this stuff. :D
What!!!!!!!! You're the original white van speaker guy?!?!?! No way!

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord

Back in '79 is right around when I traded my little red tape player with the big pastel colored buttons on it for my first big boy stereo. Wasn't quite "hifi", but it was better than my little red tape player!

D

Diesel57

Full Audioholic
That's a pretty healthy budget diesel! What are you looking at right now? Let us know if you have any questions, I love spending other people's money. :p
Lol, I knew I could count on you to spend that money, by way I'm still compiling my list of speakers and subs, hoping this will be my last fling but you never know with audio.

H

Hogey74

Audiophyte
Hey hello from Covid, July 2020 lol.

Just chasing up info on my pair of these that I've had since 2014 (ish) I drive them with an old Rotel receiver and they're great! As an intro to hifi, I highly recommend them. I don't know much of the lingo and my ear isn't trained through lots of experience with different speakers, but they cost me $110 AUD and the amp was free, so performance-to-price wise they're unbeatable. My best regularly-heard references are some nice Faber Cremonas on a cheap but adequate receiver and the 560s are a smaller sound and a little muffled by comparison. They're good enough that I've just sat on them these years and spent potential upgrade money on travel. Thanks to these speakers and the Rotel amp, I've convinced a few people that this basic arrangement is vastly better than a generic 5.1 system. I've joined this forum today because I do want more now, but these speakers aren't going anywhere.

Thanks for the brochure.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
They're not terrible speakers, but too laid back for me. B&W has a rep for intentionally voicing their speakers that way. $110 AUD for a pair of them with an amp isn't a bad price at all. For the price you paid for everything I think you did alright. Lots of speakers have come out since these were new tho and advances have been made. The series was one of B&W's entry level at the time. My neighbor still has them!

H

Hogey74

Audiophyte
They're not terrible speakers, but too laid back for me. B&W has a rep for intentionally voicing their speakers that way. $110 AUD for a pair of them with an amp isn't a bad price at all. For the price you paid for everything I think you did alright. Lots of speakers have come out since these were new tho and advances have been made. The series was one of B&W's entry level at the time. My neighbor still has them!
Interesting to hear that - they're inoffensive compared to the old Bose Studio monitors I also own. I want more clarity now, but at worst they'll be luxurious shed speakers. Cheers.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis