"The Sixes" Are Here!

Klipschhead302

Klipschhead302

Senior Audioholic
I got a deal I couldn't refuse from a place I worked at back in the 70s today. I bought them and brought them home and initially on my desk they sounded out of phase and on some songs they still do in their final position. There is no way to connect them wrong so I'm contacting Klipsch directly tomorrow to discuss it.

On Lady Gaga "Just Dance" these things pound, it's hard to believe they are 6.5" drivers in these things! I kid you not these things don't goof around! They are not bright in the least and with the covers on they might even be held back in imaging a bit but I'm going to break them in for a while before judging.

Nora Jones sounds detailed, clean, fantastic. The wife is out of town this weekend, I'll get a chance to wring them out more then.

The Sixes 2.JPG

The Sixes.JPG

Klipschhead302

Klipschhead302

Senior Audioholic
Congrats on the purchase, I'm glad you like them. Have you contacted Klipsch yet about them sounding out of phase?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Lol. I've had crickets chirp in my threads too!

Just saw your post 'Head. Congratulations. I've read really good things about "The Sixes". Out of phase though? I don't even know if my untrained ears would catch something like that...

Klipschhead302

Klipschhead302

Senior Audioholic
Lol. I've had crickets chirp in my threads too!

Just saw your post 'Head. Congratulations. I've read really good things about "The Sixes". Out of phase though? I don't even know if my untrained ears would catch something like that...
Thanks, they are incredible and the bass is unreal. Take a pair of speakers and hook them up out of phase, sit in the sweet spot and the effect is almost like a negative pressure on your ears.

When there used to be a boat load of stereo shops out there I went to them often and so many times could hear spears being played out of phase and the sales guy stood there saying how good they sounded.

There was a place in my area called Barretts, they had a pair of B&W behemoths hooked up, out of phase and I asked the sales guy if I could check something, sure enough they were right at the source but wrong at the speakers. He put them back into phase and even he could tell at that point.

I digress, The Sixes sounded out of phase to me when I powered them on nearfield. The cable that connects both speakers is keyed so that can't be the problem but they may have the wiring at the crossover backward, I'm not sure.

When I put them about 6ft apart the phase sounds better but still off, I'm hoping to have more info from Klipsch later today. Aside from this issue the detail and bass are incredible for their size and they play plenty loud as well.

ski2xblack

ski2xblack

Audioholic Samurai
I sure hope that you don'e experience what the owners of the Stadium speaker did (wonky performance with the on-board electronics, few happy outcomes). Share whatever comes of this.

I love the looks. Hopefully any issues will get addressed and you'll be able to enjoy more than just Nora Jones.

Klipschhead302

Klipschhead302

Senior Audioholic
I sure hope that you don'e experience what the owners of the Stadium speaker did (wonky performance with the on-board electronics, few happy outcomes). Share whatever comes of this.

I love the looks. Hopefully any issues will get addressed and you'll be able to enjoy more than just Nora Jones.
I had no idea the Stadium was having issues! Wow. Well, agreed, hopefully there aren't any issues. I don't know if it's possible for speakers to sound a bit out of phase while breaking in? What I'm hoping is I'm given permission to open them up and see how their wired, if out of phase it should be a quick fix.

If it's an amplifier issue, well, I'll cross that path if it goes there. Norah Jones, Lady Gaga and a few others were played to test them and compared to the Elac B6's they replaced, not even close. I would like to compare them to the RP-160M's I have, I may do that this weekend.

I'm going to be installing Marantz MA-6100's into the HT tonight so The Sixes may have to wait until the weekend unless I hear back from Klipsch.

Klipschhead302

Klipschhead302

Senior Audioholic
I just spoke to Klipsch support, their response, return them for new ones. Ugh... calling the store now to see if they have a pair coming in soon since they were shipped only one pair so far.

B

BriReeves629

Audioholic
I just spoke to Klipsch support, their response, return them for new ones. Ugh... calling the store now to see if they have a pair coming in soon since they were shipped only one pair so far.
Congrats. I have been eyeing these for some time now so please let us know if it is an isolated issue.

On a related note: Their website shows them paired with a matching turntable, but I didn't see it in their turntable section. Any idea if that is a future release or what turntable that is?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Klipschhead302

Klipschhead302

Senior Audioholic
Congrats. I have been eyeing these for some time now so please let us know if it is an isolated issue.

On a related note: Their website shows them paired with a matching turntable, but I didn't see it in their turntable section. Any idea if that is a future release or what turntable that is?

Well this is strange, they have been playing since last night. I get home and they sound fantastic?!? Not out of phase, just smooth detailed and generally awesome.

I powered them off and will try them again later.

BriReeves629, the turntable is made by Pro-Ject with the Klipsch name on it. Not sure why they wouldn't sell it alone so people can match their gear.

This may be the one they use for Klipsch.

https://www.amazon.com/Pro-Ject-Primary-Phono-Turntable-Black/dp/B01CZW817Y/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1490915423&sr=8-3&keywords=klipsch+turntable

B

BriReeves629

Audioholic
Well this is strange, they have been playing since last night. I get home and they sound fantastic?!? Not out of phase, just smooth detailed and generally awesome.

I powered them off and will try them again later.

BriReeves629, the turntable is made by Pro-Ject with the Klipsch name on it. Not sure why they wouldn't sell it alone so people can match their gear.

This may be the one they use for Klipsch.

https://www.amazon.com/Pro-Ject-Primary-Phono-Turntable-Black/dp/B01CZW817Y/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1490915423&sr=8-3&keywords=klipsch+turntable

Good to hear! Actually, the turntable I was referring to was the one in the add for "The Sixes". It has a wooden base that looked like it was a match with the speakers.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
You don't need a prerecorded sound to see if your subs are in phase, since in those frequencies you can pretty much tell by ear. Just flip the phase switch and keep it where it sounds loudest. If the subs are out of phase, they are negating each other's output. In phase, they are adding to each other's output.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Yeah, it was pretty obvious. I was just playing around, wasn't planning to change anything. I know I'm in phase.

Klipschhead302

Klipschhead302

Senior Audioholic
Good to hear! Actually, the turntable I was referring to was the one in the add for "The Sixes". It has a wooden base that looked like it was a match with the speakers.

I wish I knew. :)

Klipschhead302

Klipschhead302

Senior Audioholic
I'm listening to them right now and they sound amazing, I brought them nearfield and they sound fine there as well now. I spoke to the place I bought them from and he said most people can't tell the difference between in or out of phase, I agree with that but I think if I can change them in front of a person they would easily hear the difference.

Right now I'm listening to the 14th edition Marantz Demo SACD and the bass is nice and tight, the mids sound sweet as does the treble. These are the best bookshelf speakers I have heard in a long long time.

Time to sell the Elac B6's.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis