Pairing speakers: which center channel and sub?

loglog

loglog

Audiophyte
Hi guys, I just bought my first house and moved in. I've wanted a nice 5.1 system for a while and was finally able to start piecing it together to enhance the (Sci-Fi) Movie/ Gaming experiences. I've worked in Best Buy/ Magnolia many many moons ago, so I understand the basics of putting a system together but i'd still consider myself a new amateur looking to learn from others.

I've owned an AV receiver (Pioneer VSX-1020k) for a while now that I got new and at a ridiculously low price so I couldn't say no ($125 new). I don't plan on getting a new one right a way so it'll have to do for now. I recently purchased a pair of Definitive Technology 9020 Standing speakers as my mains to start. They sound pretty good and look very nice ascetically speaking. I couldn't justify the difference in price for the 9040's for my use/ area and the Bower and Wilkins CM series was out of my budget.

Since I don't want to eat all the costs at one time, I'm looking to now expand into a 2.1 then into a 3.1 before going full surround. The room this is all going in is less than ideal but its what I have. My living room is a 15ft X 15ft, wood flooring (it does have a floor rug between our seating positions and the standing speakers), 1 window off to the left of the viewing position with thick curtains, and vaulted ceilings (which ruined my plan to add the Def Tech A90 Dolby Atmos speakers).

I'm looking for recommendations on which center channel and sub to pair with my 9020 standing speakers. I understand you usually want to get a companies matching series at least for the fronts. For the center channel I was looking at either the Def Tech CS-9040 ($499.98) and the Pro-Center 1000 ($219.98). My concern is that even though CS-9040 is part of the 9000 series, it maybe a little over kill for the room and the mains I've chosen, its also takes up a pretty large footprint. Thoughts?

As far as the sub, I know definitive specs can be off, but for aesthetics it would be nice to keep the same brand. I'm debating between an 7.5"/ 8" or 10" driver. I'm also debating between the ProSub and SuperCube series. I plan on having an Auralex SubDude-II to place the sub on to help since i have wood floors.

Thanks for taking the time on the long read... EDUCATE ME :)

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
That a Panasonic or Pioneer avr? :)

Don't get a DT sub would be my recommendation, they not only overstate extension particularly, they're just not very good subs IMO and particularly in light of your fairly large room volume, think they'd just be insufficient. No reason to match brand except for aesthetics in any case. I'd think about at least dual 12"s and would prefer at least dual 15"s; if it has to be small and the budget in that range check out the SVS SB-1000 or SB-2000 or maybe the RSL Speedwoofer 10S.

I'd keep up with your L/R and go with the CS9040 as a better match unless planning to get rid of the 9020s. The center has most of the action in movies anyways and I wouldn't think of it as overkill, many recommend the center to be the most capable of the front three (or have identical front three ideally).

Why an Auralex pad? You can make something just as effective and far cheaper; no magic in Auralex unless you like their looks or something. May not even have any benefit, I'd try subs without first.

loglog

loglog

Audiophyte
That a Panasonic or Pioneer avr? :)

Don't get a DT sub would be my recommendation, they not only overstate extension particularly, they're just not very good subs IMO and particularly in light of your fairly large room volume, think they'd just be insufficient. No reason to match brand except for aesthetics in any case. I'd think about at least dual 12"s and would prefer at least dual 15"s; if it has to be small and the budget in that range check out the SVS SB-1000 or SB-2000 or maybe the RSL Speedwoofer 10S.

I'd keep up with your L/R and go with the CS9040 as a better match unless planning to get rid of the 9020s. The center has most of the action in movies anyways and I wouldn't think of it as overkill, many recommend the center to be the most capable of the front three (or have identical front three ideally).

Why an Auralex pad? You can make something just as effective and far cheaper; no magic in Auralex unless you like their looks or something. May not even have any benefit, I'd try subs without first.
Hahaha oops, Pioneer AVR, sorry it was fairly late when i was writing that and i had a lot going on at the time. Fixed ;)

Ok, i'll probably end up with the CS9040. Just wasn't sure if it would be a little odd with only having the 9020 towers.

Thanks for the advise. I'll look into those subs as well. I can't do 2 subs yet without a Y cable since my AVR only is set up for 5.1

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks for the advise. I'll look into those subs as well. I can't do 2 subs yet without a Y cable since my AVR only is set up for 5.1
LOL getting the two subs will be a little more work than the y-cable :)

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Completely agree with HD about the subs. Deftech is toward the bottom of the list as far as subs go. It shouldn't be too hard to find an aesthetic match with the 9020's. Plenty of subs with black finishes out there.

loglog

loglog

Audiophyte
Completely agree with HD about the subs. Deftech is toward the bottom of the list as far as subs go. It shouldn't be too hard to find an aesthetic match with the 9020's. Plenty of subs with black finishes out there.
Any recommendations, HD already suggested SVS.
Any particular woofer size to try and look for to match with these speakers?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Any recommendations, HD already suggested SVS.
Any particular woofer size to try and look for to match with these speakers?
Hsu Research

I just bought a pair of their VTF-3 MK 5's and they're legit. You get a lot of bang for your buck with Hsu. IME SVS has, by a very slim margin, better Sq (sound quality) and Hsu has more bang for your buck. SVS subs are usually easier on the eyes. Both sound fantastic.

In your room I'd go with a pair of 15" sub or a pair of 12" subs. Maybe even a powerful single 15, but 2 is always better.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I should also have mentioned the Rythmik L12 as a smaller sub in your budget range. It's not about matching the sub(s) by driver diameter to your speakers but rather the capabilities of the sub(s) to the volume of your room overall when it comes to sub bass frequencies Are you open to larger sub boxes for some higher performance options?

Did you edit the size of your room (was thinking it was much bigger like 20 x 20) or am I thinking of another thread? Is that room sealed off from other rooms or open to other rooms? What is the peak height of the vaulted ceiling?

Have you read these articles?
http://www.audioholics.com/loudspeaker-design/subwoofer-room-size
http://www.audioholics.com/frequent-questions/how-to-buy-a-subwoofer
http://www.audioholics.com/loudspeaker-design/sealed-vs-ported-subwoofers

loglog

loglog

Audiophyte
I should also have mentioned the Rythmik L12 as a smaller sub in your budget range. It's not about matching the sub(s) by driver diameter to your speakers but rather the capabilities of the sub(s) to the volume of your room overall when it comes to sub bass frequencies Are you open to larger sub boxes for some higher performance options?

Did you edit the size of your room (was thinking it was much bigger like 20 x 20) or am I thinking of another thread? Is that room sealed off from other rooms or open to other rooms? What is the peak height of the vaulted ceiling?

Have you read these articles?
http://www.audioholics.com/loudspeaker-design/subwoofer-room-size
http://www.audioholics.com/frequent-questions/how-to-buy-a-subwoofer
http://www.audioholics.com/loudspeaker-design/sealed-vs-ported-subwoofers
bass per room volume makes a lot of sense, thanks! Originally i said 20x20ft when i wrote the thread, but have updated it to 15x15ft. Yes after mounting my tv i found my estimations were a bit off when i measured. The Peak of the vaulted ceilings is just over 9 ft.

I have not read those, i appreciate the links

loglog

loglog

Audiophyte
Just for myself to keep track of:
Following the first link to find room size, i came up with roughly 1800ft^3 (Medium Room 1,500 ft^3 to 3,000 ft^3)

More information I sit roughly 9ft (3m) from my TV which is mounted on a wall, dead center to the peak of the vaulted ceiling. My speakers are obviously off to either side of that. Meaning i would be close to a 12ft (4m) diaginal to the sub

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Just for myself to keep track of:
Following the first link to find room size, i came up with roughly 1800ft^3 (Medium Room 1,500 ft^3 to 3,000 ft^3)

More information I sit roughly 9ft (3m) from my TV which is mounted on a wall, dead center to the peak of the vaulted ceiling. My speakers are obviously off to either side of that. Meaning i would be close to a 12ft (4m) diaginal to the sub
When you first posted room size of 20x20 and vaulted ceiling I thought more of my last vaulted ceiling which was much higher than your 9 ft peak (like 16 ft); is this living room sealed off from other rooms, or open to other rooms? That becomes part of the calculation. With your speakers it's more about the distance between you and the speaker, entire volume of the room(s) for subs.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
When you first posted room size of 20x20 and vaulted ceiling I thought more of my last vaulted ceiling which was much higher than your 9 ft peak (like 16 ft); is this living room sealed off from other rooms, or open to other rooms? That becomes part of the calculation. With your speakers it's more about the distance between you and the speaker, entire volume of the room(s) for subs.
I was thinking much larger too. Most likely won't need as much as I suggested.

loglog

loglog

Audiophyte
I was thinking much larger too. Most likely won't need as much as I suggested.
Sorry, I should have been more specific. It's my first house, and its only 1200 sq ft, 3 bed, 2 bath with a 2 car garage.
The room pretty well cut off from the other rooms. The corner of the living room is open and leads into the Kitchen and hallway but other that its closed off.
Thanks for the advise.

Last edited:
newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis