Upgrading Subwoofers

R

ryouiki

Audioholic Intern
While you are looking at measurement microphones and miniDSP let me suggest one other essential tool.. carpet sliders. I wish I had been smart enough to use them the first 2-3 days I was moving subs around, it made it such a breeze, especially when you are dialing in those last few inches here and there.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks HD. Is this the same one?
No, that's an unbalanced version. Limited output (.9V) compared to the balanced or HD versions (2-4V output)....but probably will work just fine with your subs (depending on whether they can deal with the limitation of .9V output, I think most commercial subs will work fine with that). The HD version has a further advantage in that it can provide more delay processing which may or may not be an issue for you; the HD is also more expensive by a good bit.

I just bought my minidsps direct from minidsp fwiw....you still need the software (aka plugins), too.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
No, that's an unbalanced version. Limited output (.9V) compared to the balanced or HD versions (2-4V output)....but probably will work just fine with your subs (depending on whether they can deal with the limitation of .9V output, I think most commercial subs will work fine with that). The HD version has a further advantage in that it can provide more delay processing which may or may not be an issue for you; the HD is also more expensive by a good bit.

I just bought my minidsps direct from minidsp fwiw....you still need the software (aka plugins), too.
Gotcha. I'm not getting one for a week prolly. I'll spring for the HD version. Thought I might get lucky on eBay.

So it doesn't come installed with the software? Can I download that free, or is there a charge? Just looking at it and the lack of dials or controls I'm assuming that I use a pc to dial everything in?

Sorry for all the rapid fire questions. I have never messed with any type of eq, let alone a minidsp. I was always told that an eq can mess it up more than help so I never ventured into it. I'm starting from ground zero.

*Edit: Should I start a new thread for my minidsp questions? Personally I don't mind sticking right here, but if it's more appropriate I can start a new one.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Gotcha. I'm not getting one for a week prolly. I'll spring for the HD version. Thought I might get lucky on eBay.

So it doesn't come installed with the software? Can I download that free, or is there a charge? Just looking at it and the lack of dials or controls I'm assuming that I use a pc to dial everything in?

Sorry for all the rapid fire questions. I have never messed with any type of eq, let alone a minidsp. I was always told that an eq can mess it up more than help so I never ventured into it. I'm starting from ground zero.

*Edit: Should I start a new thread for my minidsp questions? Personally I don't mind sticking right here, but if it's more appropriate I can start a new one.
It's your thread, derail it if you want I say. There are some threads/articles around here on use of minidsps, too.

The plugin is separate; costs $10 https://www.minidsp.com/products/plugins/2x4-hd-plugins/2x4hd1-detail
There were multiple plugins for the other units depending on what exactly you were doing with the unit. (removed bit about power, it's included with the HD).

Many eschew eq because they like their speakers and room to sound whatever that combo sounds like natively. Don't ascribe to that myself, eq has come in quite handy for my needs, but it's especially important for the sub-Schroeder frequencies.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I did have a question about the surrounds. They look like they're foam. Is that gonna be an issue in a few years? I've seen rotted surrounds before.

Oh! I have a mic picked out. The one HD suggested. What about the minidsp? I have no clue and not a lot to spend on one at the moment, but would like to get one asap. I'm sure you guys have some good suggestions.
The surround is made from butyl rubber foam that supposedly has the longevity of rubber but without the weight penalty.

As for the microphone and equalizer, I would be looking at the UMIK-1 and miniDSP package.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
It's your thread, derail it if you want I say. There are some threads/articles around here on use of minidsps, too.

The plugin is separate; costs $10 https://www.minidsp.com/products/plugins/2x4-hd-plugins/2x4hd1-detail
There were multiple plugins for the other units depending on what exactly you were doing with the unit. (removed bit about power, it's included with the HD).

Many eschew eq because they like their speakers and room to sound whatever that combo sounds like natively. Don't ascribe to that myself, eq has come in quite handy for my needs, but it's especially important for the sub-Schroeder frequencies.
Oh I'm sold on eq now. Audyssey worked some magic in my room. I like it a lot. I've just never used any kind of eq aside from it.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
The surround is made from butyl rubber foam that supposedly has the longevity of rubber but without the weight penalty.

As for the microphone and equalizer, I would be looking at the UMIK-1 and miniDSP package.
That's good to know about the surrounds. Thanks.

A package? Got a link? Package deals are usually pretty good.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The HD with the mic knocks $5 off the price of the mic...maybe better shipping, too?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I've been having a lot of fun auditioning "different subs" with all the options I have. I think I have it dialed in to where it sounds best to my ears, but I know I have peaks and nulls. There are some frequencies that hit really hard where I sit and some that disappear. I want to get the mic and dsp, but I gotta wait a few weeks until I finish paying off these subs. lol

As soon as I do, I'm getting the dsp and mic together. I don't want to just get the mic for now and learn what all is wrong or needs eq'd then have to sit and wait for the dsp.

Right now I'm running them with the 4" port open, eq1 and the Q is set at 7. That seems to be the smoothest and deepest where I sit. Yup @lovinthehd. I decided to go ported. When they're sealed they lose low end and just don't seem to hit as hard overall. They're tamer. I played around with both ports open and they were pretty thunderous. I'll have both open for movies.

I'm super tickled with them. All my fears and hesitations were ungrounded. These ported subs sound amazing.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Nice job pogre! Welcome to the next level. Of the rabbit hole...

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Nice job pogre! Welcome to the next level. Of the rabbit hole...
I've been home alone for a couple hours listening to La Gargola and I have it obnoxiously loud. I can feel my internal organs vibrate with those bass drops. I love it.

On a side note, when's the last time you saw one of these?

20170302_162559-1-503x620.jpg

We're getting new carpet soon and we have 20 years worth of junk accumulated. Next week I start a 2 week staycation. Gonna do some painting and make a few dump runs. We have that entertainment center in a spare room. I remember thinking when I bought it, "There's no way I'll ever buy a tv big enough to fill that cubby, let alone one that's any bigger..."

lol

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
That thing looks awesome! And I bet you'll be glad to be rid of it too. I've got one in my garage for an old 55" rear projector! Turned it into my sons headboard for a couple years, lmao!!! Since you're trying music, "forever" by papa roach has a breakdown in the middle. Three levels of descending bass. I think it's synth notes, but the last set I believe is in the 20-25hz range. You'll like it. A song by garbage too. I can't think of the title. It's something like, "number one...something. Bass line goes pretty low throughout. Bass drops are sweet.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I've been home alone for a couple hours listening to La Gargola and I have it obnoxiously loud. I can feel my internal organs vibrate with those bass drops. I love it.

On a side note, when's the last time you saw one of these?

We're getting new carpet soon and we have 20 years worth of junk accumulated. Next week I start a 2 week staycation. Gonna do some painting and make a few dump runs. We have that entertainment center in a spare room. I remember thinking when I bought it, "There's no way I'll ever buy a tv big enough to fill that cubby, let alone one that's any bigger..."

lol
Thanks for the Chevelle suggestion again, have listened to a couple albums now, understand what you mean about being somewhat Tool-like as well as the nice bass drops scattered in.

Yes we can accumulate a lot, last time I moved I was amazed at how much I'd piled up after just a few years, as I had an even bigger paring down from moving into that place just a few years before. Truckloads to the dump....been there a coupla times. What I haven't dumped yet is an old bookcase with a built in tv stand where at one time it seemed like a huge spot until I got a largish flat panel tv....it's got books in the tv space now.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Thanks for the Chevelle suggestion again, have listened to a couple albums now, understand what you mean about being somewhat Tool-like as well as the nice bass drops scattered in.
They are melodic like Tool. I like that about them. They don't overdo it with the bass drops either. They're not in every song and when they use it, it feels appropriate. There are some pretty deep ones on La Gargola.

Last edited:
D

Diesel57

Full Audioholic
Oh, I'm banking on it. Literally. I intend this to be my last sub purchase for a very, very long time. If ever again.

I've been looking at the order page and I'm to the spot where you enter cc info, and haven't pulled the trigger yet. I'm having buyer's guilt already. I've never spent this much in one shot for audio. It's a lot for me. I just want to be certain I'm going to end up with what I want. My last set of subs.
I deduce that response...LOL...you've entered into the no return audio world, there will be no cure for you when finish the sub woofer project...LOL, hey Pogre, no matter how long it takes I'm looking forward to the finishing project...Enjoy the challenge...

Last edited:
D

Diesel57

Full Audioholic
My knowledge of room modes definitely needs some work, but I'm thinking if I got my SB1000'S to sound pretty good where they are, the VTF-3's are gonna blow them away. Right now I'm envisioning myself doing a sub crawl with one of those monsters in my chair.

Still looking at that payment page...
Visualizing is encouragement...

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I'm having a lot of trouble tearing myself away from music lately... Though I did just finish watching Star Trek Beyond. There's a scene where they're in warp drive and it hit so low and hard the clocked vibrated crooked on the wall. lol

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
You know what I'm discovering? And it makes sense to me too. I'm enjoying my music at lower volumes now. These VTF-3's barely need to move to produce deep bass and they're big enough for me to still feel it. Don't get me wrong, when I'm home alone or a favorite song comes up I'm turning it up, but for some background noise at low volumes it sounds better than with smaller subs. It's still enjoyable.

Some updated pics. We just got some new carpet too. My wife wanted tile. I stood firm on carpet. Acoustic reasons and I just like it better.

20170317_124626-816x459.jpg

20170317_124831-816x459.jpg

That's Misty in the foreground. She likes Tool and Chevelle too. :p I love this system and you guys helped me put it together. Thanks to everyone who put up with my slow learning curve and endless questions. I really mean it. This is the best sounding system I've ever owned.

I'd like to have the subs a little more symmetrical, but that's where they sound the best. if I move the left one on the other side of the speaker it'll be in a corner (with a sliding glass door) firing right into the end of a sofa. Plus it's a dead spot when doing the crawl. I'd also have to move the main speakers closer together and I'd actually like them further apart.

On the right is a little (very little) entry and the door swings in. I have about 1/4" clearance between it and the sub when the door is open. It's in the best spot judging from the sub crawl. The one on the left is in the 2nd best spot. That's why I started the thread on wireless options for at least one of them. I'd like to get one behind me and see how it behaves or if I'll have any localization issues. Then I'd be able to get some more distance between my mains.

Right now they're ~9 1/2 feet apart and I sit 14 1/2' from them, right in the middle. I took the pics from my chair. I think I can get them to at least 13' apart by moving the sub on the right into the kitchen behind me, though it does have tile floors. Will that pose any issues?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis