Mediabridge Bookshelf Speakers [Did they cross the bridge?]

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
They did not run me out of the room -- while the overall build quality could be better, I was surprised at the overall sound. The Micca 42X did not last 2 days in my home, and these are still standing. It is possible that my ears are filled with wax - however I like what I am hearing for a $47 to $59 pair of speakers.

The sound is better than I expected for the price. While not perfect, there is no overall cheap boxy sound character. There is no real annoying hollow sound, or congestive, grainy, sharpness, edginess, excess sibilance or cup hands sound character. The sound is more on the smooth side -- however not as refined or full as you can get from some more expensive speakers. The woofer is overall better than the tweeter. The 4" woofer has a big vented magnet and does have some decent bass for its size, and does not have that typical mushy, loose bass sound. However, the bass is not as tight as you would get with some more expensive speakers. The soundstage is decent with decent imaging -- the stage is more wide than central. The tweeter is decent and not harsh -- however it does lack some air. Overall a nice speaker for listening to music, for one on a restricted budget and needing a starter system. It seems the goal they wanted to hit was to have a nice midrange, which is key and they did that. The midrange for this price out performs some of the more expensive speakers -- however, some inner detail and nuances will be missing. They are also fine for entry level, budget friendly home theater. They are better than those small cheapy sat speakers out there, and while some dynamics are missing, they can get loud. Buy a budget sub that is not real boomy and cross them over at around 100 hz. These speakers are not made for boomy type subs. They for sure can work as surround speakers, for one who may be looking for budget friendly surrounds.

Now for some nit-picking. While there is only so much you can get with this price, I would like to see more than just a high pass filter on the tweeter -- as both the tweeter and woofer are having to do extra work. There is no type of stuffing or padding inside the box to deaden some back waves from the woofer. I added some padding, and it brought the overall sound and stage out more. That box is thin and is typical for this price range -- however with the woofer and tweeter being inserted into the baffle, it does not leave much room for the screws to tighten properly and hold. It would be nice if the front baffle was at least 1/4 inch more thick. The drivers are that good and would benefit more from a stronger box. If Mediabridge stays consistent with quality control, they have a winner. There customer service has been first rate, as there has been a couple of mitigating problems.

Even as it is now with some short comings -- I prefer them over the likes of the former Insignia craze speakers and the current Insignia that is being discontinued, as well as over the Polk T15, Sound Appeal, MTX and Dayton clone like speakers. I even prefer the Mediabridge over paying full price for the Pioneer speakers. While the Pioneer does some things better, the MediaBridge are more open to me.

Now back to the the Snell K7 -- maybe I need to retire!?!?!

Last edited:
D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General
Can you give us a link? I didn't find anything when I googled.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Z, Is that a single cap filter for a "crossover" ?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Better than the original Micca's no x-over lol. My issue with Micca was I ordered the MTM version for my kids and they basically disappeared and I never got it.

Looks to have actual attachments for the covers, something the Miccas did not - and the weak magnetic covers would fall off it moved too quickly.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Z, Is that a single cap filter for a "crossover" ?
Yes a 250 volt Polyester Film cap -- however no real description for the uf/mfd rating.

They sound better than they should with just a cap -- I have listened to many poor sounding high pass filter speakers.

Last edited:
zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Better than the original Micca's no x-over lol. My issue with Micca was I ordered the MTM version for my kids and they basically disappeared and I never got it.

Looks to have actual attachments for the covers, something the Miccas did not - and the weak magnetic covers would fall off it moved too quickly.
As in all things audio, it is subjective and my preference.

The Micca 42X does some things a little better -- however the drivers were scratchy sounding and a little too grainy, and more thin and hollow -- and the bass a little too boomy for me. Overall I prefer the Mediabridge. It seems they put some effort in picking the woofer and tweeter combo. I wonder what they would sound like with at least a 1st order on the woofer and 2nd order on the tweeter.

The grills on the Mediabridge are OK -- one pin did separate from the grill when removing, however there are rubber incerts on both ends -- I was able to put it back together.

Last edited:
D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General
As in all things audio, it is subjective and my preference.

I wonder what they would sound like with at least a 1st order on the woofer and 2nd order on the tweeter.
Well, I'll let you know in a couple of days.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
I have been pleased with the Mediabridge quality vs. price for there cables too.
This is their first production run -- and they will need to stay on top of quality control for the speakers. However, they should have thought more on that front baffle size.

All in all, no ear fatigue for me or real irritation.

They are much better than the MTX speakers I looked at a while back, as they drove me nuts.

Last edited:
D

Dennis Murphy

Audioholic General
This is their first production run -- and they will need to stay on top of quality control for the speakers. However, they should have thought more on that front baffle size.

All in all, no ear fatigue for me or real irritation.

They are much better than the MTX speakers I looked at a while back, as they drove me nuts.
Well, I checked out the Mediabridge monitors hoping to find something that could be whipped into shape to recommend as a decent surround or even desktop speaker for cheap. A problem immediately arose when I unpacked and discovered that the woofer on one of the units had pulled out from the razor-thin front baffle. I fixed that with new screws and a rotated woofer, but that aspect of the design alone makes these things barely merchantable. I fired them up and heard what I suspected from a speaker with no low pass filter on the woofer. That means there's no baffle step compensation and probably no suppression of the inevitable breakup modes. They didn't sound awful on simple material, but anything with solid midrange content sounded way too forward and nasal. The highs sounded pretty clean toward the top end, but it was peaky, and there didn't seem to be much going on in the lower treble. That produced a spitty sound that ranged from tolerable and even pleasant on some music to annoying on other material. What bass was present was pretty good.

My measurements confirmed what I heard. The response starts out flat until 500 Hz, where the baffle step takes over and the response trends up steadily until it's about 8 dB hot at 2800 kHz. A breakup mode contributes to that. Then there's a hole in the response until 5k, where the tweeter jumps up to about 5 dB above the highest woofer peak and then trends down in fairly ragged fashion, but still has decent output at 15k. The tweeter on the second unit didn't have much output above 9 k. The woofer is tuned to about 98 Hz, which is pretty much the limit of its bass extension.

I'm sure I could fix the woofer problems with a decent filter, but the tweeter response is too messy and inconsistent to do much with, and I don't know that the tweet has enough going on at the low end to mate evenly with the woofer once its response was smoothed out. And then there's the front baffle to deal with. All-in-all, a used pair of Rat Shack Minimus 7's would make much better surrounds.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis