Dolby Atmos with LG OLED televisons

N

nevideo

Audiophyte
I am upgrading my home theatre which currently has an HD 46" TV and an Onkyo 7.1 surround sound system to a 65" LG OLED TV and Dolby Atmos.
I have received conflicting information about the television sets and the ability to properly receive the Dolby
Atmos signal. The LG 2017 sets are Dolby Atmos ready but the 2016 models are not.
I was told that as long as I sent the Dolby Atmos signal through a proper receiver that I didn't need the television to be Atmos ready, but mnay people have claimed that they cannot access the Atmos signal with
the LG televisions that do not support Atmos.
I would like a definitive answer as to what I need to decode and listen to Dolby Atmos with a new OLED television that does not have Dolby Atmos built in.
Thank You,
Michael

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Your TV should have nothing to do with the decoding of Atmos. The signal should pass through the receiver first, not the TV, in which case the receiver will do the decoding.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Your TV should have nothing to do with the decoding of Atmos. The signal should pass through the receiver first, not the TV, in which case the receiver will do the decoding.
Agreed. I can't even think of what "Dolby Atmos Ready TV" might mean????

Just that it can send an Atmos signal back to the AVR???

Edit: I'm wondering if OP is confusing Atmos vs Dolby Vision???

The only thing I see on the Dolby site deals with STREAMING or BROADCAST. So, I guess that means the OP needs to tell us if he expects Dolby Atmos via streaming/broadcast. Honestly, I never thought of that scenario--likely far from ideal and won't realize the full Atmos experience.

A smart TV with Dolby Audio or Dolby Atmos can be the source for premium audio experiences on a home theater system via broadcast and streaming services.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
Agreed. I can't even think of what "Dolby Atmos Ready TV" might mean????

Just that it can send an Atmos signal back to the AVR???

Edit: I'm wondering if OP is confusing Atmos vs Dolby Vision???

The only thing I see on the Dolby site deals with STREAMING or BROADCAST. So, I guess that means the OP needs to tell us if he expects Dolby Atmos via streaming/broadcast. Honestly, I never thought of that scenario--likely far from ideal and won't realize the full Atmos experience.

A smart TV with Dolby Audio or Dolby Atmos can be the source for premium audio experiences on a home theater system via broadcast and streaming services.
  • The only thing I can think of is the Smart TV Apps itself included with the LG.
  • If you play VUDU from your TV for example over HDMI ARC, the signal is originating from the TV and then going to your receiver.
  • I know an older Sony I used to own, was ARC compatible, but the Audio from the TV Apps would only support only 2 Channel.

This is just a guess

N

nevideo

Audiophyte
Thank you all for your advice! I learned that the 2017 LG OLED televisions which are "Dolby Atmos Ready" refers to only the built in television speakers and it is not possible to pass the Atmos signal to your Atmos capable receiver even through the HDMI ARC connector until the new HDMI 2.1 cables are available next year. It is confusing, but I do know the difference between Dolby Vision for enhanced HDR and Dolby Atmos for point originated audio. I hope all of the television companies and receiver companies get together and streamline all of these choices for us to enjoy!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
How is the tv Dolby Atmos Ready with built in speakers? Boggles the mind with today's tv speakers....

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
It most likely means it supports Atmos from the aspect that it can downmix to the TV speakers so it isn't just no sound at all, or something along that. Currently when I play a ripped Atmos track via USB on my 105 I don't get sound.

Doesn't matter if it supports Atmos, it should be run to the receiver first, not the TV.

Last edited:
lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
It most likely means it supports Atmos from the aspect that it can downmix to the TV speakers so it isn't just no sound at all, or something along that. Currently when I play a ripped Atmos track via USB on my 105 I don't get sound.

Doesn't matter if it supports Atmos, it should be run to the receiver first, not the TV.
Hadn't thought of it that way....was more imagining an array of speakers around the perimeter of the screen like an aimed array on a soundbar or something....

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis