What Specs Do I Need For A PA Loudspeaker Build?

Aaron Bilger

Aaron Bilger

Audioholic
So I have come to here because I want to build a pair of 2 way loud speakers and i've got a box that I can just assemble and mostly I know what i'm doing on everything besides the crossover and the tweeter, so what my problem is what kind of specs should I have for a Eminence BETA-15A? It's going to be some kind of horn tweeter driver you know the kind you would see on some DJ PA speakers.

Last edited:
Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
So I have come to here because I want to build a pair of 2 way loud speakers and i've got a box that I can just assemble and mostly I know what i'm doing on everything besides the crossover and the tweeter, so what my problem is what kind of specs should I have for a Eminence BETA-15A? It's going to be some kind of horn tweeter you know the kind you would see on some DJ PA speakers.
PA speakers aren't my forte, but it would seem you could marry that 15" woofer to one of these:
B&C ME60 2" Constant Directivity Horn 60x40 4-Bolt
Cross it over at about 1100hz with a decent crossover and you'd have a place to start.

There's a ton of information I'd want to know, but, since you just provided a basic question without a lot of detail, that's my free and completely unbiased but useless opinion. PA speakers don't get a lot of love here at AH because we focus mostly on home audio.

You may get lucky however and a PA expert may jump in and make your dreams come true. I am always happy to see a DIY project. Good luck

Aaron Bilger

Aaron Bilger

Audioholic
PA speakers aren't my forte, but it would seem you could marry that 15" woofer to one of these:
B&C ME60 2" Constant Directivity Horn 60x40 4-Bolt
Cross it over at about 1100hz with a decent crossover and you'd have a place to start.

There's a ton of information I'd want to know, but, since you just provided a basic question without a lot of detail, that's my free and completely unbiased but useless opinion. PA speakers don't get a lot of love here at AH because we focus mostly on home audio.

You may get lucky however and a PA expert may jump in and make your dreams come true. I am always happy to see a DIY project. Good luck
That's just a horn it's not a horn driver like I was looking for I already have everything besides a tweeter and the crossover.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
First, this belongs in the DIY subforum, the loudspeaker forum is mostly about commercially made speakers. How did you match the box to the driver(s)? Why bother with a diy speaker unless you know about crossovers and tweeters? Why not just buy complete DJ PA speakers?

Aaron Bilger

Aaron Bilger

Audioholic
First, this belongs in the DIY subforum, the loudspeaker forum is mostly about commercially made speakers. How did you match the box to the driver(s)? Why bother with a diy speaker unless you know about crossovers and tweeters? Why not just buy complete DJ PA speakers?
Because I wanted to have something that I could be proud of something I made and put thought and time into something I know will sound good if I learn more about the tweeter part mostly I just need to know how much sensitivity the tweeter has to be?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
How much do you know about loudspeaker design? Do you have a way to measure the final result? You say you know what you are doing besides the crossover and tweeter, but, no offense, that is like saying you don't know what you are doing at all. Those are crucial components to making a good speaker.

If I were you, I would contact Eminence and ask what would make well with your woofer for your desired application. They have a lot of compression drivers, and I am sure there are a bunch that would work well with that driver for PA applications.

Aaron Bilger

Aaron Bilger

Audioholic
How much do you know about loudspeaker design? Do you have a way to measure the final result? You say you know what you are doing besides the crossover and tweeter, but, no offense, that is like saying you don't know what you are doing at all. Those are crucial components to making a good speaker.

If I were you, I would contact Eminence and ask what would make well with your woofer for your desired application. They have a lot of compression drivers, and I am sure there are a bunch that would work well with that driver for PA applications.
I'll take your advice and use that i'll call them and see what they say.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
You should probably reread your previous posts. Many people have given you advise on speaker and amplifier design. Once you come up with realistic goal , post it and work from it. Remember from your previous posts , watts are a minimal thought on the design .

Last edited:
Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
What's the differences between a horn and horn driver?
I think I know the answer. On the parts website for PA speakers they actually sell the plastic horn shapes separate from the actual tweeters. You can buy a standard tweeter there and then buy a separate horn shaped housing to mount it in.

My initial post to the OP had a link to the plastic horn shaped mount but somehow didn't include an actual tweeter. I most likely biffed the URL.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I think I know the answer. On the parts website for PA speakers they actually sell the plastic horn shapes separate from the actual tweeters. You can buy a standard tweeter there and then buy a separate horn shaped housing to mount it in.

My initial post to the OP had a link to the plastic horn shaped mount but somehow didn't include an actual tweeter. I most likely biffed the URL.
Correct, you can mount different drivers into different horns. The horns control the type of dispersion you want.

Bucknekked

Bucknekked

Audioholic Samurai
Correct, you can mount different drivers into different horns. The horns control the type of dispersion you want.
good thing the OP knew all about dispersion and sound patterns in addition to all the other complicated stuff.:)

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis