How Do I Find The Power Of A Horn Tweeter?

Aaron Bilger

Aaron Bilger

Audioholic
I've opened my speaker cabinet up to find what what wattage my horn tweeters were they do not say anywhere on them? I need to know how powerful of a tweeter to replace it with? The power of the whole speaker is 250 watts RMS I was thinking maybe 50 watts but I have no clue it's a samson pa speaker passive 12 inch 2 way pa speaker. If you want the model it is, Samson Resound RS12HD, Yes I have been aware of replacement tweeters but I want to know the correct RMS that it has because I they ever stopped making that tweeter then I would have to know the power RMS specs to match it.

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
It shouldn't matter. If the entire speaker is rated for 250w rms don't drive it at program with more than that. Find the sensitivities, then head over to crown audios amplifier power needs calculator and enter the distance from the speaker and the desired spl. Keep in mind a speaker that is rated 250w rms can handle brief peaks of three times program, which is 750w. Don't try an get more spl out of the speaker than the power rating is for and it won't blow. Additionally, be sure your amp has enough headroom to prevent clipping, clipped signals travel straight to the tweeter as DC, and most definitely will blow your tweeter.

Sent from my SM-G360T1 using Tapatalk

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I've opened my speaker cabinet up to find what what wattage my horn tweeters were they do not say anywhere on them? I need to know how powerful of a tweeter to replace it with? The power of the whole speaker is 250 watts RMS I was thinking maybe 50 watts but I have no clue it's a samson pa speaker passive 12 inch 2 way pa speaker. If you want the model it is, Samson Resound RS12HD, Yes I have been aware of replacement tweeters but I want to know the correct RMS that it has because I they ever stopped making that tweeter then I would have to know the power RMS specs to match it.
You are going about this all wrong! The "power" that the tweeter can "handle" is NOT your biggest concern here. Your concern is to ONLY replace the tweeter with the exact same model, otherwise you would need to re-work the crossover too. Likely not even worth it on these speakers anyway.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
You basically need the same tweeter. Look for an exact replacement.

You cannot match a tweeter with the specs you are looking for, it is far more specific than that in order for it to work correctly in the speaker as it is designed.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis