Quick question about amp and speakers

R

rb397u

Audiophyte
Hi. I have a Klipsch RSB-11 Soundbar with subwoofer that I love but I really want to add rear speakers if possible. My living room isn't huge so I don't need anything to bring the house down.

I have my apple TV, blu ray player and PS4 plugged into the soundbar via HDMI, then soundbar connected to TV via single HDMI (ARC).

I want to know if it's possible to add rear surround via digital optical out from TV into an amplifier, then connect the speakers to the amplifier via speaker wire.

Here are the products I want to use.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/onkyo-2-channel-stereo-amplifier-black/4593800.p?skuId=4593800

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/klipsch-reference-premiere-dual-4-300-watt-passive-2-way-surround-channel-speaker-each-black/5708527.p?skuId=5708527

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
No, that won't work. you need a way to isolate the 2 surround channels before it goes to the stereo Onkyo amp.
Unless your soundbar has a surround output connection(s) that does this (which I doubt).

Last edited:
j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
~$600 seems like a LOT to add just two surround speakers that will probably outclass the sound of your soundbar.

Was already writing too that it won't work. TV is not a surround processor.

R

rb397u

Audiophyte
My wife works at best buy so I can get the lot for $300 lol.

The soundbar itself sounds absolutely amazing, was just hoping I could add some rear sound for true surround. Thanks!

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
My wife works at best buy so I can get the lot for $300 lol.

The soundbar itself sounds absolutely amazing, was just hoping I could add some rear sound for true surround. Thanks!
Klipsch is a good sound, especially for HT, but think how much better it would be if the R & L speakers were 8' apart instead of 40". That will give you a more useful "surround" effect than adding rear speakers!
I rarely notice my surround speakers, most often they are doing something like crowd noise when the scene is in the middle of the crowd. I'd rather hear the plane coming from the left come from well left of the screen instead of under the screen before the plane is in sight.
Soundbars can have good speakers, but it would always be better if you can spread them out more than any typical soundbar will allow.

R

rb397u

Audiophyte
I totally agree. I used to have a 5.1 setup but wife got tired of the clutter. So soundbar was my best option and I went with Klipsch. Funny thing is it sounds WAY better than the Sony 5.1 setup I had. The dialog is clear and crisp, I hear rain clearly, and dead silence in movies is, well, dead silent. The subwoofer actually rattles a painting on the wall behind us if I have to up too much! I hardly noticed my rear surrounds either, but it is nice for that "immersive" effect.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I'm guessing your Sony was a HTiB (home theater in a box).
I'm not sure where your wife draws the line for clutter, I would think adding an amp and rear speakers would be pretty close to your old 5.1.

In any case, you can do what you want if you simply get an AVR instead of the Onkyo integrated amp.
I'd look at something like this refurbished Pioneer for $150 (unlessyou can find better through your wife's BB discount):
http://www.accessories4less.com/make-a-store/item/pionvsx530k/pioneer-vsx-530-k-5.1-ch-x-80-watts-a/v-receiver/1.html
You would feed all of your sources into the AVR, then the HDMI Out to soundbar.
The AVR amp section will be coasting with only the surround speakers connected.

However, ultimately, you may want to revisit clutter with your wife. If she is agreeable to adding an amp (and, thus I assume an AVR instead) and rear speakers, you need to address front speakers. They can be pretty clean if you run the wires in the wall (putting the grills back on would make these look cleaner yet):
http://www.klipsch.com/flat-panel-speakers

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Not saying soundbars aren't good and I totally understand when/why they are used (usually WAF or space or both). Just commenting that those surrounds are pretty nice compared to most soundbars. There are ways to get good sound and still maintain WAF.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis