Klipsch KF-28 & KC-25 to Klipsch RP-280F & RP-450C. Decent upgrade or more of a lateral move?

yippiechicken

yippiechicken

Audioholic Intern
The problem is the off-axis response with these type of designs (called horizontal MTMs meaning midwoofer-tweeter-midwoofer). The dispersion pattern off-axis is always pretty bad; this means the sound projected from the speaker to the sides of its direct forward path will be badly inaccurate. The problem with that is much of what you hear in-room is reflected sound; sound reflected from all angles of the speaker's emission. So a lot of the sound you hear is that messed-up sound from indirect angles of the speaker. This is an especially bad characteristic from a center speaker because most dialogue is mixed to the center, so you can often have problems with dialogue intelligibility. A simple bookshelf speaker in normal upright orientation is vastly better as a center speaker in this respect.

Now you might ask why then do speaker manufacturers use such a poor design? The answer is convenience; these horizontal center speakers can fit in an entertainment center's shelving arrangement more easily. The problems of sound quality is simply shrugged off since it isn't usually top of a consumer's priority list when speaker shopping.
This is from Mark Henninger's review of the Reference system, specifically the 450C center.

"The RP-450C center channel is a 2.5-way ported speaker. It sports a Tractrix horn-loaded 1" titanium-dome tweeter and four 5.25" woofers. Two of the woofers—the one directly to the left of the tweeter and the one on the far right—handle midrange duties between 500 Hz and 1500 Hz. The other two woofers cut off at 500 Hz, an arrangement meant to reduce lobing artifacts."

Is what Mr. Henninger describes actually beneficial, or is it more
"marketing speak" than anything else?

yippiechicken

yippiechicken

Audioholic Intern
Yes I kept the fronts and rears since I got them for Christmas last year. The center channel was a weak link. Sounds fantastic now. My Klipsch RS-115W sub will be here tomorrow
Did you get your new sub? :)

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Such an arrangement can reduce lobing, but I doubt that it would reduce lobing by much. It would reduce it more than if it was simply a two-way design, but it is a speaker that will be subject to heavy lobing patterns by the nature of its design. It is a compromised design, and if you are able to use a regular bookshelf speaker in upright orientation, it will offer better performance and at a cheaper price.

yippiechicken

yippiechicken

Audioholic Intern
Such an arrangement can reduce lobing, but I doubt that it would reduce lobing by much. It would reduce it more than if it was simply a two-way design, but it is a speaker that will be subject to heavy lobing patterns by the nature of its design. It is a compromised design, and if you are able to use a regular bookshelf speaker in upright orientation, it will offer better performance and at a cheaper price.
Thanks again shadyJ. I really appreciate your input and advice.

I'm working on trying to figure out a way to get a regular bookshelf speaker to fit in there while keeping wifey (and myself too, honestly) happy with the aesthetics.

Just collecting information and keeping all options open at this point. :)

yippiechicken

yippiechicken

Audioholic Intern
I

I did. It's massive. Much bigger than I anticipated. Haven't run the audussey on my Denon yet. I can't really give an opinion yet
Yeah, I know what you mean about how big they are! I pre-measured my area ahead of time but it still kinda took me by surprise seeing it in all its hugeness.

When I saw the FedEx guy coming up the sidewalk with the box, I thought to myself, "Crap! What have I done!" :) Luckily there was a lot of packing in that box too.

I'd like to hear your thoughts once you get it set up to your liking.

IMG_0097.JPG

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis