• Polk M60ii

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Polk TSi400

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
C

crcostel

Audiophyte
I was originally going to look at upgrading my center speaker but realized I might be sinking more money into a bad system.

Here is my current setup

AV: TX709
Front: Polk TSi300
Center: Polk CS10
Surround: Polk M30ii
Back: Mordaunt-Short Carnival 1
Sub: MS Carnival 9

My thought is to replace the center and fronts and make the 300's my surround. Budget for the fronts are 300 total.

Due to space and safety (toddler) concerns, I cannot do bookshelves as fronts.

Here are the options I can see

1) Fluance XL5F and then XL7C, Signature Center, or XL7 bookshelf for Center (200 for fronts)
2) Polk M60ii and CS10/CS20/M30 Center (200 for fronts)
3) Polk TSi400 refurb and CS10/CS20/M30 Center (280 for fronts)
4) FS-52 and CS22/BS22 Center (200 for fronts)

Thanks everyone

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
They are all kind of lateral moves. IMHO the pioneers will sound the best outta the choices. I'd save up some more money if it were me.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
take these $300 and invest in Pharmaceutical or Oil/Gas mutual fund, or cheap index balanced fund like : VIGRX.
It would be much better investment than (as already mentioned) lateral move in fronts.

These Sony cores are not bad, but what to gain real big improvement save your money till you could afford these: http://www.ascendacoustics.com/pages/products/speakers/cmt340m/cmt340m.html (with optional stands - they just like a tower speaker)

C

crcostel

Audiophyte
They are all kind of lateral moves. IMHO the pioneers will sound the best outta the choices. I'd save up some more money if it were me.
My understanding is the Pioneer and Fluance have a better/clearer soundstage. I had been told that the TSi300s were bottom of the barrel. The M60/TSi400 at least have and extra mid but I could see where it wouldn't be much of an upgrade.

I know there is much better out there but are these basically the same SQ-wise as my TSi300?

The Sony's look nice - I didn't really consider the brand because it was poor for so long and the AA looks great but both are over budget.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I love my pioneer speakers, but I've listed to the polks you currently have and you won't be getting much IMHO. They may sound different, but not "better". Same with the sony speakers. Maybe look into a DIY kit? Your money might go further doing that.

C

crcostel

Audiophyte
I love my pioneer speakers, but I've listed to the polks you currently have and you won't be getting much IMHO. They may sound different, but not "better". Same with the sony speakers. Maybe look into a DIY kit? Your money might go further doing that.
Good to know. In a way these options would replace the m30ii surrounds I am currently using so I would hope it sounds a little better

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
I am fully aware that we all hear differently in that we all have our own "idea" of how things should sound. Might I add that I am not a tower guy. Never have been. But, once I heard the Sony Core towers I was totally blown away.

The thing is, the Cores were positioned right next to the AJ Pioneer speakers. Granted BB does NOT provide the best atmosphere for critical listening, but I was easily able to discern that the Cores were clearly superior to the AJ Pioneers. Honestly, never thought in a million years that I would EVER recommend a Sony speaker, but I am sure am doing so. Glad that you like your Pioneer speakers.

Cheers,

Phil

Last edited:
C

crcostel

Audiophyte
I appreciate the recommendation for the Core speakers -they seem great. But its more than I want to spend on this. I realized that I can put slim(7") bookshelves on top of the towers as stands (toddlers can't pull them down) so I have a few bookshelf options.

Q Acoustics 2020i
Q Acoustics 3010
Q Acoustics 3020
KEF Q100
BA A25
Elan B4

They may not be as loud/full as towers but they probably would have better build quality/sound than them.

Thoughts?

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
I appreciate the recommendation for the Core speakers -they seem great. But its more than I want to spend on this. I realized that I can put slim(7") bookshelves on top of the towers as stands (toddlers can't pull them down) so I have a few bookshelf options.

Q Acoustics 2020i
Q Acoustics 3010
Q Acoustics 3020
KEF Q100
BA A25
Elan B4

They may not be as loud/full as towers but they probably would have better build quality/sound than them.

Thoughts?
I have been keep an eye on a thread over @AVS where a couple of forums members were able to evaluate the QAcoustic speakers. If I remember correctly the consensus was that the 3020's were a better option for the money. Not sure if you ever get on at AVS or not. Will see if I can find you a link. Here it is:

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-speakers/2600289-neapolitan-ice-cream-q-acoustics-vs-svs-prime-vs-wharfedale-diamond.html

Might want to add the AA monitors that can be found here:

http://philharmonicaudio.com/aa.html

Hope this helps!

Cheers,

Phil

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I am fully aware that we all hear differently in that we all have our own "idea" of how things should sound. Might I add that I am not a tower guy. Never have been. But, once I heard the Sony Core towers I was totally blown away.

The thing is, the Cores were positioned right next to the AJ Pioneer speakers. Granted BB does NOT provide the best atmosphere for critical listening, but I was easily able to discern that the Cores were clearly superior to the AJ Pioneers. Honestly, never thought in a million years that I would EVER recommend a Sony speaker, but I am sure am doing so. Glad that you like your Pioneer speakers.

Cheers,

Phil
Interesting. I don't think I've ever heard a Sony speaker that was considered good. I'm gonna have to see if my local BB has these just to see.

C

crcostel

Audiophyte
I have been keep an eye on a thread over @AVS where a couple of forums members were able to evaluate the QAcoustic speakers. If I remember correctly the consensus was that the 3020's were a better option for the money. Not sure if you ever get on at AVS or not. Will see if I can find you a link. Here it is:

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/89-speakers/2600289-neapolitan-ice-cream-q-acoustics-vs-svs-prime-vs-wharfedale-diamond.html

Might want to add the AA monitors that can be found here:

http://philharmonicaudio.com/aa.html

Hope this helps!

Cheers,

Phil
I did see that post - that's where I heard some good things about Q Acoustics and their tweeters.

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
I did see that post - that's where I heard some good things about Q Acoustics and their tweeters.
Okay great. Send Zorba a PM and ask him what you want to know. You can trust what he has to say. Zorba is very highly respected over @AVS. Be sure to check out the AA monitors that are linked as well. They punch way out of their respective price range.

Cheers,

Phil

Last edited:
speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Interesting. I don't think I've ever heard a Sony speaker that was considered good. I'm gonna have to see if my local BB has these just to see.
I feel the exact same way. But, Sony got the Cores right. I really like the Core bookshelf. The towers are also very impressive for the money. When the Cores are on sale there is not much out there that can best them inmho. The ONLY caveat is that the Core center leaves much to be desired. It is the weakest link in the chain so to speak.

Cheers,

Phil

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis