Been away for a LONG time... recommend me a soundbar

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
Nothing about a subwoofer has to match in terms of brand, so anything will pair well. Low frequencies aren't subject to a particular sound profile in the way a loudspeaker is.

So it comes down to how low do you want to go for movies and how big and ugly of a box can be tolerated. If you want seat shaking bass to blow your mind, it's a bigger budget and space, placement gets fussy with any one sub in a big room, particularly if it's open to other space.

I'm partial to SVS offerings for myriad reasons. Free shipping both ways with a 45 day trial period, full purchase price credit toward an upgrade within the first year of ownership. Wide range of performance and price. Subwoofer outlet for "scratch & dent" products which come in $50 to $200 cheaper and carry 100% of a new product.

For that size room I'd look at a PB2000, which runs $729 for outlet, $799 new. At a minimum, PB1000. Don't care for bone-rattling, look at SB2000 for $699 new, or the smallest SB1000 for as little as $450 in the Outlet or $499 new. Amazon and New Egg have the discontinued SB12-NSD for $400, and it's performance puts it squarely between the SB1000 and SB2000. No buyer return/upgrade benefits though.

Fair warning, some of those subs can be huge. Write down the dimensions and go find a box that size to better imagine it in your room. You don't want to arrive home to find a behemoth on your doorstep you didn't expect. Instead, you want to plug in the behemoth and be shocked by what come out of it.

P

Pearzilla

Enthusiast
Thanks I was hoping you would say svs. I was originally planning on getting the svs prime package and pb2000 but after cost of everything including receiver I was looking at close to 4k not including the Atmos speakers so I figured I'd wait and save a little money and just upgrade to the ysp5600 for now since I saw it on a4l for 999$. Currently have a Klipsch r10b sound bar.

bmccord

bmccord

Audioholic
Hello all. Checking back in. I ended up returning the Klipsch system and went with a Yamaha YAS-203. It doesn't come close to the Klipsch in terms of shear thump but the Yamaha is far better in terms of everyday clarity and overal listening quality. Pretty happy with this one. I just wish there was something out there that had good solid thump with nice balanced musical and movie abilities.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I went and listened to the Denon heos sound bar and all I can say is wow. Wow as it I would have been livid had I purchased one. It is terrible as a system. The sound bar isn't terrible, but it isn't good. The sub is practically useless. Pretty disappointing considering the reviews.

bmccord

bmccord

Audioholic
Well, after using the Yamaha for a few days I am a little underwhelmed with it as well. It is very clear which is great however it's a little on the weak side. My wife and I were listening to some Bluetooth audio and literally had our devise and the Yamaha on full blast and it just didn't get very loud. It was very clear and bright but just doesn't have the oomph we are looking for. We may be returning it and giving a Samsung HW-K850 or 950 a try. Those have pretty solid reviews as well.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
You really should hear a Bluesound Pulse (PSB speaker technology) soundbar at some point. I was so impressed I brought my sister up to hear it and she bought one on the spot, loves it.

bmccord

bmccord

Audioholic
You really should hear a Bluesound Pulse (PSB speaker technology) soundbar at some point. I was so impressed I brought my sister up to hear it and she bought one on the spot, loves it.

I do need to find one locally to give a listen. I have looked into it and with the added sub, which I feel any soundbar needs, it's more than double the price range I was looking at. That doesn't make it out of the question however I am simplifying our home theater because we have started a family and I don't want to have to worry about a $1600+ audio setup but who knows.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis