Help choosing. Sonus Faber Chameleon?

PietjePuk

PietjePuk

Enthusiast
Hi all, I've been reading the forum for quite a while now and am looking for some advice regarding a speaker upgrade.

I've been listening at multiple stores and came across the Sonus Faber Chameleon, which surprised me a little. I wasn't aware of the brand and am not able to find much info. I'd like to go back a little prepared an am hoping some of you have some experience and can point me to some characteristics to pay special attention to.

In total I have the following shortlist:
Tannoy XT6F
B&W 683S2 or CM8
Monitor Audio Silver 6

I'm curious what you guys think. I currently own a Yamaha RX-V1500 (about 9 years old) amp paired with the KEF KHT 1005, which I'm looking to upgrade with 2 front speakers in the €1500-2000 per set range.

Thanks!

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
Don't overlook the KEF Q series which is now on special pricing of about 30% off normal, though you could step up to R series or LS50 for that amount of money in the budget. They're really far ahead of those little KEF's.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
SBs are not bad, but tend to be on not great value - ie expensive for what they are.
I will tell you this - most of our regulars, including me are on other side of the atlantic ocean and for example Tannoy is relatively rare visitor in these parts.
From your selection I'd suggest you chose between MA S6 or the Tannoy.
Other brands worth looking at are British Wharfedale, Swedish XTZ and for sub again from UK BKElec
http://www.bkelec.com/
I haven't heard bad things about KEF Q or R series, but never heard them in person.
What you have today is tiny speaker 5.1 system - which if you want to seriously update - you'd need new Fronts including matching center and a new sub. that tiny one is won't keep up with larger speakers.

You should match speakers to room they are in - smaller rooms would be ok with bookshelf speakers, but larger room will gain greatly from tower speakers.

PietjePuk

PietjePuk

Enthusiast
Thanks! They have pointed me to a KEF speaker from the R series, I believe it was the R500. However I found them a little harsh compared to the Dali's, which I liked because the seemed to disappear a little more. The SB's are are on quite a discount too, saving 450 per set, otherwise they might be out of my budget and they were cheaper than the KEF. While normally they would retail at a higher price.

Actually my room is not that big, however until now I have preferred the sound of a floorstander over a bookshelf in similar price ranges. I'd love to be able to listen to music without feeling the need for an extra sub.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Hmmm, You found Kef R500 a bit harsh, but not budget B&W series? KEF R have quite reference (ie as close to as recorded) sound to them.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
Hmmm, You found Kef R500 a bit harsh, but not budget B&W series? KEF R have quite reference (ie as close to as recorded) sound to them.
Agreed. I own the R500 and didn't buy them without hearing a few others. If anything, the R500 are a touch laid back over 10khz nothing approaching bright. I noticed the cheaper Klipsch to be a sparkling example of bright however, and Paradigm Prestige a nice middle between them but more money.

PietjePuk

PietjePuk

Enthusiast
Hmm thanks! I'll be listening again. It's a little difficult as I'm dealing with a heavy concussion... Sounds are a little different now...

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis