speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Folks now that I know that I will be soon moving my desk, I have a few questions regarding my couch/love-seat and my Bi-Pole speaker placement. Before getting into any of that, I would like to mention that I am NOT interested in Atmos. At least, not for the time being. What I am interested in is properly placing my rears and possible front height speakers. Now, to my specific questions.

As many of you know by now, my room is pretty small coming in at 15' front wall X 12' left side wall X 8' flat ceiling. According to my math that is 1,440 ft. ^3. My room opens up to my BR/Bathroom and to my apartment entrance/kitchen. I will soon have my front-stage all set once I move my desk. Hope to do just that very soon. Just have a very busy week with personal things. So it may be over this weekend before I can actually get that part done.

Is it best to move my couch/love-seat off of the back wall? I hope to do a 5.2 eventually. Might add front height speakers if it is going to add to the over all effect. If not, then that is okay too. However, plan to put my Fluance Bi-Poles on the back wall. Here is a pic of how I plan to move my couch/love-seat off of the back wall:

upload_2016-12-12_13-21-45.png

upload_2016-12-12_13-22-40.png

If I do this it will, of course, shorten the distance between my MLP and my TV. Is that a good thing? I have the TV stand off of the front wall by 1.5' or so. Should I leave it that way? Or, move the TV stand back closer to the front wall?

I could place the Bi-Poles here on the left side wall quite easily. Here is a pic:

upload_2016-12-12_13-26-38.png

Now if I place one of my Bi-Poles on the left side wall, then the other will have to go here which is close to my fuse box:

Keep in mind that the MLP would NOT be equidistant between the Bi-Poles if mounted on the side walls. Would it be better to place the Bi-Poles on the back wall instead? If so, should my couch/love-seat be away from the back wall? Or, is it better to place my couch/love seat up against the back wall?

Personally, I don't think that my room is big enough for a 7.1/7.2 setup. So, been thinking of adding front height channels instead. Is that a good idea? Would Bi-Poles work good for front heights? How about for rears? Sorry for so many questions, but I am a bit out of my element here yet again. Have done some reading and not finding any real concrete answers. Hence, I do like the HT effect that it is hard to tell where the sounds/ambiance are coming from. Hoping that the Bi-Poles can do that, as well as, make my HT sound larger. Really like the surround effect. Am I going about this the right way?

upload_2016-12-12_13-27-55.png

Once my questions above are answered how high should the Bi-Poles be up on the wall. Have read that 2-3' is more ideal. Is that tweeter height or the top/bottom of the said speaker? Not real clear on this from what I have read. Anyways, here are a few pics of the front wall where I might add front height speakers:

upload_2016-12-12_13-41-29.png

upload_2016-12-12_13-42-16.png

Here is a pic of the Bi-Poles that I will be using:

upload_2016-12-12_13-44-29.png

As always, any and all help will be most appreciated. Have to do this merely one step at a time. I really am not so much a HT guy, but do plan to start watching more TV/movies. Thanks for your time!

Cheers,

Phil

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Oh I forgot to ask, but can someone explain the DSX processing to me? That is how I can use front height or the front width setting. Is one better than the other? I was thinking height, but width may work as well. Guess there is no way to have both is there? Given that my room is so small I doubt that both would be needed. So, if that is the case, which would you prefer and why? Trying to learn something here. Thanks!

Cheers,

Phil

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Oh I forgot to ask, but can someone explain the DSX processing to me? That is how I can use front height or the front width setting. Is one better than the other? I was thinking height, but width may work as well. Guess there is no way to have both is there? Given that my room is so small I doubt that both would be needed. So, if that is the case, which would you prefer and why? Trying to learn something here. Thanks!

Cheers,

Phil
Hey Phil, can't help you with the dipole speaker thing but DSX is a matrixing thing like Dolby PLIIx/z or DTS' Neo:6. Right now am using it for my wides (with your old speakers) in 9ch format as a supplement to Dolby PLIIx 7ch (my other option is Neo:6 which will do both rear/wides). I had both heights and rears (7ch) in my last place and could utilize available matrixing using one or the other. Some day I will add the heights here, want to see what the 11ch processing is like....

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Hey Phil, can't help you with the dipole speaker thing but DSX is a matrixing thing like Dolby PLIIx/z or DTS' Neo:6. Right now am using it for my wides (with your old speakers) in 9ch format as a supplement to Dolby PLIIx 7ch (my other option is Neo:6 which will do both rear/wides). I had both heights and rears (7ch) in my last place and could utilize available matrixing using one or the other. Some day I will add the heights here, want to see what the 11ch processing is like....
Thanks Chris. My speakers are Bi-Poles not Di-Poles.....LOL!!!! Thanks for the info. When you had the front heights did it really make much of a difference for you? Behind my couch/love-seat there is not enough room to add rear surrounds. As such, it is possible for me to add front height. Do you think that it would be worth my time doing so? Front width would not be a good idea due to the layout of my room. But, front height is doable if it would make a difference. Not even sure if Bi-Poles would be a good idea for such an application. Been trying to read up on it more. But, not really much out there other than opinions. Thanks!

Cheers,

Phil

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks Chris. My speakers are Bi-Poles not Di-Poles.....LOL!!!! Thanks for the info. When you had the front heights did it really make much of a difference for you? Behind my couch/love-seat there is not enough room to add rear surrounds. As such, it is possible for me to add front height. Do you think that it would be worth my time doing so? Front width would not be a good idea due to the layout of my room. But, front height is doable if it would make a difference. Not even sure if Bi-Poles would be a good idea for such an application. Been trying to read up on it more. But, not really much out there other than opinions. Thanks!

Cheers,

Phil
Old eyes :) In that older room, which had high vaulted ceilings fwiw, I preferred the rear surrounds over the heights. I've used monopole speakers for surrounds myself, so no input on bi/dipole surrounds; I have usually had the surrounds a few feet above ear level, though in my bedroom they're closer to ear height as they're on stands for now (will change them to an elevated position next time I'm painting etc). Front height indeed looks to be your best way to go 7ch...and 7ch may not really do much considering the size of the space; both rooms I've done 7ch in were significantly larger than yours. Good luck!

speakerman39

speakerman39

Audioholic Overlord
Old eyes :) In that older room, which had high vaulted ceilings fwiw, I preferred the rear surrounds over the heights. I've used monopole speakers for surrounds myself, so no input on bi/dipole surrounds; I have usually had the surrounds a few feet above ear level, though in my bedroom they're closer to ear height as they're on stands for now (will change them to an elevated position next time I'm painting etc). Front height indeed looks to be your best way to go 7ch...and 7ch may not really do much considering the size of the space; both rooms I've done 7ch in were significantly larger than yours. Good luck!
Thanks a bunch Chris. I agree that front height is my best option. Not sure how much of a difference it is going to make given my I have such a small sized room. But, it never hurts to try and see. Thanks for the info!

Cheers,

Phil

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis