Does PA woofer doesn't sound great in low volume ?

D

dipankar.rout

Audiophyte
Suppose, I bring 15" PA woofer of SPL 100 db for my home theatre purpose but i will run them to produce sound of 80 db or less. Does it affect sound quality if we plays with much lower SPL as compare to the rated SPL per meter?

ski2xblack

ski2xblack

Audioholic Samurai
Depends. Using such a driver for deep bass would probably not work, as such drivers are not designed for deep extension. But, such a driver would provide very low distortion and gobs of headroom if used as a mid/woof, compared to a smaller driver playing the same spl.

Earl Hilt IV

Earl Hilt IV

Audiophyte
Suppose, I bring 15" PA woofer of SPL 100 db for my home theatre purpose but i will run them to produce sound of 80 db or less. Does it affect sound quality if we plays with much lower SPL as compare to the rated SPL per meter?
if your using a pa subwoofer in home theater it will be very tricky. Depending on the frequency of how low that driver will respond. Normally a clear note at normal levels of -3+3 will play fine on a budget medium grade sub. But not smooth sound at low volume. If your wanna use a pa sub in a home theater set buy the big boys of jbl or peavy flagship subs that have extended low frequency at 35 hz. If still not enough low end. Bassboss has pa subs that play low as 21 hz and extremely loud.

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis