Outlaw Audio 7140 7x140 wpc Amplifier Preview

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Outlaw Audio had lofty goals when redesigning their 7125 into the new 7140. How do you take a great amplifier and give it increased power, improved performance, greater reliability, AND an enhanced user experience for only $100 more than the original price of their 7125?

They kept their classic AB amplification and added some amazing redesigns, but was it worth it? Read on to find out.

Read: Outlaw Audio 7140 7x140 wpc Amplifier Preview

B

BRIAN_PDX

Enthusiast
Interesting article and I agree Class A/B amplifiers are better sounding than Class D perhaps unless you get into super high end equipment like Theta Digital for example (not happening). I am trying to put together a new system on a bit of a budget and like the Marantz AV 7702 Mk2 at $1,000 off but the Marantz amps aren't being discounted. The Outlaw 7140 looks like a good match. The EAT C-Sharp turntable with the Ortofon Quintet Black MC cartridge (Oki Noki cleaner thrown in) and Vincent PHO-700 phono preamp is also very intriguing. Probably OPPO BDP-105 for multiformat discs. Still over $6K and no speakers yet. Not really a budget system I guess. Eat C-Major with Quintet Blue and PHO-8 saves a $1,200 but I don't like manual speed control by moving the belt. A Marantz SR7010 AV Receiver saves the $1,100 cost of the amp with a bit lower power. Now a 5.1 speaker system. This stuff used to be easier. Suggestions appreciated.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Interesting article and I agree Class A/B amplifiers are better sounding than Class D perhaps unless you get into super high end equipment like Theta Digital for example (not happening). I am trying to put together a new system on a bit of a budget and like the Marantz AV 7702 Mk2 at $1,000 off but the Marantz amps aren't being discounted. The Outlaw 7140 looks like a good match. The EAT C-Sharp turntable with the Ortofon Quintet Black MC cartridge (Oki Noki cleaner thrown in) and Vincent PHO-700 phono preamp is also very intriguing. Probably OPPO BDP-105 for multiformat discs. Still over $6K and no speakers yet. Not really a budget system I guess. Eat C-Major with Quintet Blue and PHO-8 saves a $1,200 but I don't like manual speed control by moving the belt. A Marantz SR7010 AV Receiver saves the $1,100 cost of the amp with a bit lower power. Now a 5.1 speaker system. This stuff used to be easier. Suggestions appreciated.
I think the BDP-105/105D is only good if you listen to a lot of multi-channel music. I regret wasted my money on it as I hardly listen to my MC SACD/DVDA and even if I do I could just use my Sony BDP or my old universal player. For 2 channel music the HA-1 is a much more practical solution. YMMV, just want to share my own experience.

B

BRIAN_PDX

Enthusiast
I think the BDP-105/105D is only good if you listen to a lot of multi-channel music. I regret wasted my money on it as I hardly listen to my MC SACD/DVDA and even if I do I could just use my Sony BDP or my old universal player. For 2 channel music the HA-1 is a much more practical solution. YMMV, just want to share my own experience.
Thanks for the info. I do have two channel as a priority but want to use the system for both stereo and 5.1 systems. I will look deeper.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Thanks for the info. I do have two channel as a priority but want to use the system for both stereo and 5.1 systems. I will look deeper.
In you really want to get an Oppo, you may want to wait a few more months for the upcoming new models. Another thing to consider, depending on your other equipment, you may or may not benefit from the high end Oppo players. In terms of cost effectiveness and more future proofing, external or even portable high quality DACs may also be viable for you.

B

BRIAN_PDX

Enthusiast
In you really want to get an Oppo, you may want to wait a few more months for the upcoming new models. Another thing to consider, depending on your other equipment, you may or may not benefit from the high end Oppo players. In terms of cost effectiveness and more future proofing, external or even portable high quality DACs may also be viable for you.
Thanks. I did just hear about the new UDP players that are about 1/2 the cost but am not quite sure what you give up by buying one. Good call and I will do more research.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Thanks. I did just hear about the new UDP players that are about 1/2 the cost but am not quite sure what you give up by buying one. Good call and I will do more research.
If you are into PCM/DSD streaming and/or play from usb flash drives/hard drives etc., the upcoming Sonica DAC is also going to be much more affordable than the HA-1. That's why I wouldn't want to see someone investing heavily in a disc player unless there are good reasons. The Sonica will have the top ESS Sabre 9038 DAC that should play anything except perhaps DSD 512 though IMO anything beyond 24bit/44.1kHz don't matter in terms of sound quality. The real reasons for me to get those higher end DAC etc., are to widen my choices of top quality recording/mastering media and to feel good about owning something better than the minimum. Of course YMMV.:D

RichB

RichB

Audioholic Field Marshall
It looks like a nice amp. Too bad they went back to a fuse instead of the power breaker. Always liked that about ATI.

- Rich

M

Marc Martens

Audiophyte
Hmm,

I have doubts:
7 X 225 Watts continuous at 4 Ohm, that adds up to 1575 Watts.
Now looking at the heat sinking this must be a class AB amplifier.

The specs published on the Outlaw website say that the MAXIMUM DC input power = 1440 Watts, so we safely can assume that a 1,5 KVA transformer is used.

The real watts that such a device can draw from the net depends on the power factor 1500 KVA X cosinus phi ). So that is probably why the specs say 1440 Watts. It simply is the maximum continuous load that the power transformer can handle. Any electronics engineer will tell you it would be extremely unwise to design a power supply with 0 % safety margins for continuous operation at its rated specs. A reserve of at least 10% (preferable a bit more) would be wise.

Now, if the power supply is designed on the edge without any safety reserve, even then those 1440 watts will never be available as continuous output power. Class AB amplifiers burn about 25% of those watts in heat, that is why serious (non switched) amps always need plenty of heat sinking (and this Outlaw fortunately has plenty).

0.75 X 1440 Watts divided by 7 boils down to less than 160 Watts per channel, no matter what the load impedance might be. No way that this Outlaw amplifier pushes out 7 X 225 Watts continuously. Let's hope that it shuts down or blows a fuse else it simply burns up it power transformer.

Now at 8 Ohm the power rating is 7 X 140 W= 980 Watts in total. Would it be a coincidence that 980 Watts corresponds with 0.75 (AB efficiency) X 1440 X 0.9 (the minimum power supply safety reserve).

I don't say that this is not a good sounding amplifier. An undersized power supply doesn't affect the sound quality as long as the amp isn't pushed too hard.

But shame on you Outlaw, your specs should say 7 X 140 Watts at 8 Ohm only.
Could it be that this device originally was designed with a 2000 VA transformer that later was replaced with a 1500 VA model to save 200$... 250$ in the retail price?
Or is it designed as a pure 8 Ohm amplifier?
Whatever the answer, I don't like neither of them.

hk2000

hk2000

Junior Audioholic
Hmm,

I have doubts:

The specs published on the Outlaw website say that the MAXIMUM DC input power = 1440 Watts, so we safely can assume that a 1,5 KVA transformer is used.

The real watts that such a device can draw from the net depends on the power factor 1500 KVA X cosinus phi ). So that is probably why the specs say 1440 Watts. It simply is the maximum continuous load that the power transformer can handle. Any electronics engineer will tell you it would be extremely unwise to design a power supply with 0 % safety margins for continuous operation at its rated specs. A reserve of at least 10% (preferable a bit more) would be wise.

Now, if the power supply is designed on the edge without any safety reserve, even then those 1440 watts will never be available as continuous output power. Class AB amplifiers burn about 25% of those watts in heat, that is why serious (non switched) amps always need plenty of heat sinking (and this Outlaw fortunately has plenty).

0.75 X 1440 Watts divided by 7 boils down to less than 160 Watts per channel, no matter what the load impedance might be. No way that this Outlaw amplifier pushes out 7 X 225 Watts continuously. Let's hope that it shuts down or blows a fuse else it simply burns up it power transformer.

Now at 8 Ohm the power rating is 7 X 140 W= 980 Watts in total. Would it be a coincidence that 980 Watts corresponds with 0.75 (AB efficiency) X 1440 X 0.9 (the minimum power supply safety reserve).

I don't say that this is not a good sounding amplifier. An undersized power supply doesn't affect the sound quality as long as the amp isn't pushed too hard.

Could it be that this device originally was designed with a 2000 VA transformer that later was replaced with a 1500 VA model to save 200$... 250$ in the retail price?
Really? Here's the spec from Outlaw's own website:
Power Output: 140 watts RMS x 7 All Channels Driven simultaneously into 8 ohms from 20Hz to 20 kHz with @ 0.05% THD.
225 watts RMS into 4 ohms @ 0.05% THD
Where does it say "7 X 225 Watts continuously"?
You want to be critical, Outlaw is the last deserving of such criticism- If only today's receiver manufacturers Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Onkyo, ...etc even come close to doing it the way Outlaw is.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Hmm,

I have doubts:

Who drives all channels continuously? Aside, HK hit on the head.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis