Onkyo TX-SR605 Receiver: Center speaker not working

A

allen642

Audiophyte
I ordered the Onkyo HT-SP908 7.1-channel home theater system from Amazon.com. The receiver that came with it is the TX-SR605. I am having a problem with the center speaker not working. I have hooked everything up correctly but the center speaker will not put out any sound. I know the speaker is good because I hooked it up to one of the other speaker wires and it works fine; also tried different speaker wires but nothing. I hooked one of the other working speakers up to the center connection on the back of the receiver and I get nothing. I think there might be a problem with the center connection on the receiver. Also when I put it through the Automatic Speaker Setup (Audyssey 2EQ) function it did not even recognize the center speaker. Everything else seems to be working fine. What do you suggest? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Please advise.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Welcome to the forum!

The fact that the auto setup isn't detecting the center channel is concerning, but let's try something. Did your new system come with the TX-SR605 owner's manual (it seems like it would based on Onkyo's support page)? If so, check out page 70 and 71 for the "Advanced Setup - Speaker Configuration" section and look at step 6. Make sure that the center channel is not set to "None."

If you would, let us know if that helps out. If not, we'll keep trying.

A

allen642

Audiophyte
Checked it out. It was set to 'none'. I set it to 100 hz like the L & R, but still get nothing from it.

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
It sounds like you've done all the right things: swapping speakers and speaker wires to try to diagnose the problem. The only other thing that I can think of is to inspect the center channel speaker terminals on the 605 and see if anything stands out to you.

Given what you've said, I suspect that you got a defective unit. That's always the last thing that I want to say, but I think it's the case. If you swapped speakers and wires (that you know work), and the auto setup still won't detect a center channel, I don't know what else would cause that.

If I'm missing something, I sure hope that others here will chime in. Otherwise, my advice is to contact Amazon for a replacement. I don't believe that you'll be charged anything at all if the unit is defective.

A

allen642

Audiophyte
Thank you. I think the center channel is defective also. I have contacted Onkyo but haven't gotten an answer back as of yet. Have a great day...

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Thank you. I think the center channel is defective also. I have contacted Onkyo but haven't gotten an answer back as of yet. Have a great day...
No problem. You might be thinking this already, but I highly recommend exchanging it through Amazon before sending it in for service. You should get a working unit for your money, and Amazon shouldn't give you any problems at all if you're within their 30-day (I think) exchange window.

Have a great day, yourself!

sholling

sholling

Audioholic Ninja
Amazon is great about returns within their 30 day window. With a defective item they will probably even pay for the shipping.

C

cigarshaped

Audiophyte
Exactly my problem with TX-SR606 Rx/Amp. I am feeding optical audio from a Samsung HD TV and all channels except Center are working, even the external Sub Woofer amp. Seems to be a decoding issue. I hoped someone here will have found a setting to correct it?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Exactly my problem with TX-SR606 Rx/Amp. I am feeding optical audio from a Samsung HD TV and all channels except Center are working, even the external Sub Woofer amp. Seems to be a decoding issue. I hoped someone here will have found a setting to correct it?
I doubt it is a setting. It seems that all those particular units either have a fault or two right out of the box, or develop a serious fault withing a year of use. It seems pretty much all of them have a fault serious enough to be non functional within a year or so. A quarter of Amazon reviews are one star!

New receiver time I think.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis