How much did your speakers cost? Please take the poll!

What is the MSRP of your speakers?

• $0 - $5000

Votes: 27 67.5%
  • $5,001 - $10,000

Votes: 3 7.5%
  • $10,000 - $20,000

Votes: 5 12.5%
  • $20,000+

Votes: 5 12.5%

• Total voters
monkish54

monkish54

Audioholic General
This isn't a competition or a thread to shame those who spent more than you would.

This is intended to be a fun thread to show us an interesting trend in the loudspeaker market.

Let's have some fun!

rojo

rojo

Audioholic Samurai
Are you asking about main L+R? LCR? 7.1? Atmos / DTS-X? If passive sub, include the cost of the amp?

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
i think you should clarify.
Do you mean for my preferred speakers or the summed total of every speaker that is still in my possession.

Also, I think it would be more relevant to break down you brackets on the low end. I would venture that around 50% or more fall into the $0-$5000 bracket for their speakers. For most of us, a speaker like the Philharmonitor3 (less than $4k) represent a pretty solid point of diminishing returns.

Instead of $0-$2500, I would do
0-1000
1001-2500
2501-5000

monkish54

monkish54

Audioholic General
Good question!

I am asking about your mains LRs or the most expensive pair you currently own. If you recently (last few years) owned more expensive loudspeakers than you do today, answer with the more expensive speakers in mind.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I see no reason how this translates to fun. MSRP is a bullshit figure in many ways to begin with. Only LR speakers? I guess that skews it to the 2ch crowd for whatever purposes.... :)

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
If just for main L&R, I'll change my estimate from at least 50% to at least 75% that will fall in the 0-$5000 bracket.
I have some idea of teh speakers in peoples signatures as well as the questions/suggestions that get made here. There are guys who I know have main speakers over $10,000 but that is very rare. Generally the Salk Soundscapes are the top end of this forum and more commonly, the Phil3's.
I'm not saying that I'm certain no other, more expensive speakers, are better, only that you start paying a lot for a little better.
I think the break down would be more biased towards more expensive speakers on one of the less scientific/practical forums. I mean if people there are willing to pay $5000 for cables, they should be happy to pay a good bit more for speakers.

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
I would love to have spent over $10k for the front two to buy a pair of $15k (or higher) speakers at discount or used, but that ain't happening.

The industry itself would have a lot of information about the volume of product sold at any given price point, and I can imagine it's a steep downward curve from the masses who are happy with the cheap HTIB setups sold at Best Buy even down to the better ones sold in their Magnolia outlets. You can bet the sales analysts are watching closely the volume to profit to cost-of-sales ratios.

Cos

Cos

Audioholic Samurai
Not sure the relevance of this post, I bought the speakers that sounded best to me and the MSPR is 5K I paid 25% less with Tax about 4k.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I would love to have spent over $10k for the front two to buy a pair of $15k (or higher) speakers at discount or used, but that ain't happening.
What would you get?
I love the soundstage of the M-L Electrostats, but the weird way they put smacking of lips etc 3' from me when their voice is 10' away bothers me. Aside from that, I haven't heard anything that can beat my current favorites - the Philharmonic 3's and the Focal Solo6's (paired with good subs) - and I've heard a lot that sounded worse for lots more money!

Last edited:
KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
What would you get?
I love the soundstage of the M-L Electrostats, but the weird way they put smacking of lips etc 3' from me when there voice is 10' away bothers me. Aside from that, I haven't heard anything that can beat my current favorites - the Philharmonic 3's and the Focal Solo6's (paired with good subs) - and I've heard a lot that sounded worse for lots more money!
I haven't really considered anything in particular, though I've heard a wide array of speakers. On my list to audition would be the Philharmonic 3, new PMC Twenty5.26, Dynaudio Confidence C2, Raidho D-2.1 and Sonus Faber Il Cremonese, many others. I just have to win the lottery first.

H

Hocky

Full Audioholic
What would you get?
I love the soundstage of the M-L Electrostats, but the weird way they put smacking of lips etc 3' from me when their voice is 10' away bothers me. Aside from that, I haven't heard anything that can beat my current favorites - the Philharmonic 3's and the Focal Solo6's (paired with good subs) - and I've heard a lot that sounded worse for lots more money!
ML's are cool. I can say this about what I have - I haven't sat down at a system of any price that I have felt compelled to buy because I felt like they had something that I was really missing. There are differences here and there, but I am pretty happy about my stuff.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
ML's are cool. I can say this about what I have - I haven't sat down at a system of any price that I have felt compelled to buy because I felt like they had something that I was really missing. There are differences here and there, but I am pretty happy about my stuff.
Yeah, I wish they could fix the way crisp noises like T's and K's pop out at you, then I'd be willing to pony up serious money for them, but right now if you offered me to trade them even, you'd mainly give me a big headache trying to figure out what to do! I honestly don't know, but I love the cool factor to "see through" speakers!

MR.MAGOO

MR.MAGOO

Audioholic Field Marshall
sometimes I think I should have spent more on my speakers. But I think my DefTech's and Cambridge Audio sound better than my old 5.1 setup pre-2013: Bose 161 (rear surrounds), JBL mid-towers (front LR, can't remember the model) generic center channel (can't remember the model), and JBL PSW-D110 sub.

Bose_27027_161_Speaker_System_Black_1260479941000_291871.jpg 87cc90fa-9abc-46db-a275-63dbc8bcbd87-bg1.png

D

Diesel57

Full Audioholic
While everyone's ears hears something different with that in mind it also influences one choice and budget but where's the funo_O?

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I think most people are only willing to spend $2500 or less on a pair of speakers.

Just like I am only willing to spend $1,500 or less on a TV (not projector).

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
Marketing people could verify that by virtue of sales volume. I think your number is accurate in the sense that most are under that number, though I'd bet it's far bigger in terms of total volume in the $200 to $600 range with a big downward slope to $2500.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis