Pioneer SP-PK52FS with Denon 4200W?

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
What happened to the Energy system then? If you have the Connoisseur reference series, you may find they still sound better than those low cost Pioneer speakers. You have an excellent AVR now, so maybe get better front speakers for two channel music enjoyment.
Thanks! I was thinking the same, but am not familiar enough with the Energy Series to be sure where the Connoisseur series sat among their offerings.
The Pioneers get a lot of well deserved respect, they are great speakers given their budget!

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Thanks! I was thinking the same, but am not familiar enough with the Energy Series to be sure where the Connoisseur series sat among their offerings.
The Pioneers get a lot of well deserved respect, they are great speakers given their budget!
In the old days, they had called their top of the line Energy reference 22 Connoisseur that sold for >C$2,000 pair back in the 80's for the entry level finish (I have a pair of those). A few years later, they launched the original Veritas series, that sold for twice as much. Then in the early 2000 they redesigned the lesser Veritas series (have a pair of those too):D that would fit, for reference purposes only, in between the Paradigm Signature and Studio series price wise. At that time, the one next in line was the Reference Connoisseur, such as the RC- mini, (again, I have a pair of those) RC-10, through RC-70. Just prior to the RC series, they had the well regarded Connoisseur series, priced just below the Veritas. Base on the timing provided, I am guessing the OP probably has the Connoisseur series. The Pioneers are great budget speakers but I don't think they compete well in overall sound quality with the C-5s and above.

The fact is, Energy did make some serious good quality speakers, before they became part of the Klipsch group.

http://www.stereophile.com/floorloudspeakers/551/#chrU5t1qRYs5Ul0r.97
http://www.audio-ideas.com/reviews/loudspeakers/energy-c5.html
http://www.soundstage.com/revequip/energy_rc70.htm
http://www.soundstage.com/revequip/energy_c9.htm

Last edited:
KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I have a pair of the Klipsch generation RC-10, and I'd take them over the Pioneers. Sounds like Connoisseur would be a nice upgrade from my RC-10's!

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I have a pair of the Klipsch generation RC-10, and I'd take them over the Pioneers. Sounds like Connoisseur would be a nice upgrade from my RC-10's!
Not really, I think the RC (Ref Connoisseur) speakers should beat the corresponding Connoisseur speakers in terms of better transparency and dispersion. The C9 may have slightly deeper bass than the RC-70 because of the larger enclosure. The pre Klipsch Veritas definite sounds better than the RC's.

My only point is, as long as the OP has the Connoisseur series (or the RC series) before the Klipsch thing, the Pioneer's budget oriented speakers won't be an upgrade.

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
I'm building a new home theatre (projector, receiver, speakers, 3D Blu-Ray) and haven't bought speakers in around 15 years. I just picked up a great close-out deal on the Denon 4200W receiver and am looking to get a new 5.1 or 7.1 speaker setup.

I read good things about the Andrew Jones designed Pioneer SP-PK52FS 5.1 setup that includes the following speakers that would cost $872 CDN:
  1. Pioneer Andrew Jones Designed 130 watt Floor Standing Tower Speakers (SPFS52) - $358 CDN
  2. Pioneer 2-Way Andrew Jones Designed Center Channel Speaker (SPC22) txat is 90 watt - $148 CDN
  3. Pioneer Andrew Jones Designed Compact 80 Watt Bookshelf Loudspeakers (SPBS22LR) - $168 CDN
  4. Pioneer Andrew Jones Designed 100 Watt Powered 8" Subwoofer - $198 CDN
If I was in Canada, I would aim for the Boston A25 speakers. I would look to buy 3 each for the front (use 1 as your center). Then build the rest of your system later if you are low on funds.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
If I was in Canada, I would aim for the Boston A25 speakers. I would look to buy 3 each for the front (use 1 as your center). Then build the rest of your system later if you are low on funds.
Agree, but the A25 will need the help of a sub right away.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis